Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,818,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You have little understanding of climatology and the fact that droughts are generally NOT AS INTENSE during the coldest months. WHY? Evaporation is far less as temperatures are lower and the sun angle is more indirect. Evapotranspiration is not a factor yet as well. As the months progress and the average temperatures increasing during the warmer months evaporation and evapotranspiration become increasingly immportant factors that impact ALREADY EXISTING drought conditions. The average precipitation amounts also are supposed to increase exponentially during the warmer months. Warmer air holds more moisture. So, the drought is far from over in the hardest hit areas, although more will be known over the next few months as that is a critical period for crop development and how the weather pattern sets up.

"Why would a site called Drought Monitor consider predicting the drought going away? Could it have ANYTHING to do with if the drought goes away, there is no need for an organization that records and predicts drought conditions? If they are not capable of communicating a "The Sky is Falling!" styled urgent need, there will be ZERO need to continue funding such an enterprise with taxpayer money. This Drought Monitor organization is a political one... one that wants to insure ITS survival and ITS funding."

The Drought Monitor does an excellent job overall. Enough with the conspiracy theories regarding funding. Your stupid state of Kansas gets way too much in the way of federal $$$ to fund its large military installations. The state of Kansas, otherwise known as Brownbackistan, is a national joke and no one with half a brain would ever want to move there. I left there eons ago along with all the smart people never to come back.

"No sane or intelligent person can rationalize these doom and gloom scenarios that claim we must alter our lifestyle. This is 100% political, pulling at the EMOTIONS of overemotional and ignorant people. I am glad that the emotion driven ignorant people typically reveal themselves. and in this case it is with a "The Sky is Falling!" styled claim."

100% False as usual. Even the most optimistic predictions of less warming predict agricultural disaster within a few decades for much of Kansas. The temperatures will just be far too warm and precipitation to erractic to grow the same types of crops that were grown in the past. They will grow better at locales that are much further north in latitude that meet the climate criteria to succeed. Everyone's lifestyles will change as most products will become more expensive in price. You can thank globalism, corporate growth, and the rise of the consumer class in developing countries. The days of the US consuming large quantities of goods with few global competitors at low prices is long over.

How can they predict ANYTHING over decades with with a degree of accuracy over 50%, when they cannot get their predictions correct over a period of 12 weeks? How? They CANNOT accurately predict the weather, yet you honestly believe they can predict upcoming climate?

Again, unfreaking-believable!

I do want to thank you for the spirited debate.

You made your points. I made mine. Now I'm done for a while. I have other things that matter more right now to continue this debate, on a topic that I believe to be no more than a religion, one where blind faith in non-science is required, at the present time. But just so you understand I concede nothing, I will be happy to resume with this later. Later!

Last edited by KS_Referee; 03-10-2013 at 05:08 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 05:07 PM

26,403 posts, read 46,432,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Well if THAT'S the case, then we ought to create MORE CO2 because that would create MORE rainfall. I cannot believe you actually said that! In a single statement you've shot your entire argument for drastic measures to offset a potential drought in the foot.

Thank you because I could NOT make this stuff up. Unfreaking-believable!
YOU ARE A KANSAN, you're not supposed to understand how science works. GOT IT! MORE CO2 in the atmosphere MEANS A GENERAL INCREASE in extreme precipitation events that are becoming much more common now. Obviously you don't get it that extreme precipitation events aren't good for farmers, the insurance industry, or anyone that has a stake in a stable climate system. Warmer temperatures mean more water vapour in the atmosphere. Warmer air holds more moisture, hence the likelihood of extreme precipitation events is increased. Warmer temperatures also mean more evapotranspiration of water from green plants.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-11-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are arguing about, so if I were you, I would quit while you're still way behind. Continuing the dialogue only makes you look more clueless.

And yes, humanity if capable of influencing the climate. Now run along....

GOD bless you my fellow debater. Thank you for this wonderful nugget of wisdom.

Since two of you imply, the latter flat out claiming, that humans are capable of controlling (influencing) the climate (weather), why don't we just make it rain in those drought laden areas? If we wanted to lessen the affects of our intervention of the natural cycles of weather, we could make it snow during the winter. Better yet, since humanity can control (influence) the climate (weather), why don't we just pass a law that makes anthropogenic global warming go away? After all, isn't that why they claim they are taking all these massive and draconian measures against agriculture, industry, energy, and consumption?

Or is it just possible that anthropogenic global warming is an EXCUSE to attack agriculture, industry, energy, and consumption? Because IF humanity can control the climate (weather), then humanity OUGHT to do so rather than continually attack agriculture, industry, energy, and consumption.

This SCAM is political. The people driving it are not doing so based on climate (weather), and it has nothing to do with climate (weather). It has everything to do with social justice and redistribution of wealth. For heaven's sake... Follow the money and THAT will tell you everything you need to know about this SCAM.

This planet (even in MY lifetime) has had warmer periods, cooler periods, dryer periods, wetter periods, more arctic and antarctic ice, less arctic and antarctic ice, more polar bears, less polar bears, more CO2 emitting industry, less CO2 emitting industry, more snow and ice in the midwest, less snow and ice in the midwest, droughts, floods, more hurricanes and tornadoes, less hurricanes and tornadoes, regardless of what humanity has or has not done.

There appears to be a concept is very foreign to many humans, particularly among those on the left, but far from limited to them... that concept is that we, humanity, are NOT capable of controlling some things.

We can build levees and retaining walls to lessen the effects of tidal waves, hurricanes, and ocean based erosion, but we cannot change the fact that gravitational pull from the moon affects the ocean tides or that those rising and lowering tides cause erosion. We can build man made dams and other water controlling devices, but we cannot prevent flooding. We can determine a typical frost line for a region (for the purpose of determining the depth at which water lines should be buried) based upon historical evidence of what has happened in the past. We cannot prevent this frost line from raising or lowering based upon what the climate (weather) decides to do. We CANNOT change these things no matter how hard we try. Instead, we must adapt to them as they occur.

We CANNOT control the climate. We CANNOT control the weather. We CANNOT control the amount of sun the earth receives. We CANNOT control the amount of rain any area or region does or does not receive. We are but spectators of GOD's great creation, its cycles, its glory and its devastation. We are not GOD and do not posses GOD's power therefore we must accept and adapt to some things simply because they exist as a result of GOD's will, OR if you don't believe in GOD, as a result of something humanity cannot control.

Maybe schools should teach THIS a little more often:

Quote:
The Serenity Prayer...
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,485,398 times
Quote:
We CANNOT control the climate. We CANNOT control the weather. We CANNOT control the amount of sun the earth receives. We CANNOT control the amount of rain any area or region does or does not receive. We are but spectators of GOD's great creation, its cycles, its glory and its devastation. We are not GOD and do not posses GOD's power therefore we must accept and adapt to some things simply because they exist as a result of GOD's will, OR if you don't believe in GOD, as a result of something humanity cannot control.
Good Lord.....

Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM

26,403 posts, read 46,432,446 times
Quote:
GOD bless you my fellow debater. Thank you for this wonderful nugget of wisdom.

Since two of you imply, the latter flat out claiming, that humans are capable of controlling (influencing) the climate (weather), why don't we just make it rain in those drought laden areas? If we wanted to lessen the affects of our intervention of the natural cycles of weather, we could make it snow during the winter. Better yet, since humanity can control (influence) the climate (weather), why don't we just pass a law that makes anthropogenic global warming go away? After all, isn't that why they claim they are taking all these massive and draconian measures against agriculture, industry, energy, and consumption?

Or is it just possible that anthropogenic global warming is an EXCUSE to attack agriculture, industry, energy, and consumption? Because IF humanity can control the climate (weather), then humanity OUGHT to do so rather than continually attack agriculture, industry, energy, and consumption.

This SCAM is political. The people driving it are not doing so based on climate (weather), and it has nothing to do with climate (weather). It has everything to do with social justice and redistribution of wealth. For heaven's sake... Follow the money and THAT will tell you everything you need to know about this SCAM.

This planet (even in MY lifetime) has had warmer periods, cooler periods, dryer periods, wetter periods, more arctic and antarctic ice, less arctic and antarctic ice, more polar bears, less polar bears, more CO2 emitting industry, less CO2 emitting industry, more snow and ice in the midwest, less snow and ice in the midwest, droughts, floods, more hurricanes and tornadoes, less hurricanes and tornadoes, regardless of what humanity has or has not done.

There appears to be a concept is very foreign to many humans, particularly among those on the left, but far from limited to them... that concept is that we, humanity, are NOT capable of controlling some things.

We can build levees and retaining walls to lessen the effects of tidal waves, hurricanes, and ocean based erosion, but we cannot change the fact that gravitational pull from the moon affects the ocean tides or that those rising and lowering tides cause erosion. We can build man made dams and other water controlling devices, but we cannot prevent flooding. We can determine a typical frost line for a region (for the purpose of determining the depth at which water lines should be buried) based upon historical evidence of what has happened in the past. We cannot prevent this frost line from raising or lowering based upon what the climate (weather) decides to do. We CANNOT change these things no matter how hard we try. Instead, we must adapt to them as they occur.

Maybe schools should teach THIS a little more often:
You must be paid off by someone to state these things. Humans are very much capable of changing our environment and have done much damage that cannot be repaired.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You must be paid off by someone to state these things. Humans are very much capable of changing our environment and have done much damage that cannot be repaired.
What, specifically, has been damaged "beyond repair"? What have we done that can never be reversed, given time (on a geologic scale) and /or effort on our part (on a human life-span scale)?

Last edited by Starman71; 03-11-2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
What, specifically, has been damaged "beyond repair"? What have we done that can never be reversed, given time - on a geologic scale - and effort on our part - on a human life-span scale?

Or what has humanity done to raise the average temperature on earth even a single degree? Then, if we raised the temperature, why don't we just lower it?

Furthermore, who is to say that THEIR idea of ideal temperatures are the RIGHT temperatures?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM

Well, we could always plug the volcanos. Maybe prevent the crustal plates from moving so the ocean currents will stay constant... forever.
Hey, how about we control the sun?!?! If we can keep its output constant, and the amount of water vapor - which you know is a much worse greenhouse gas than CO2 - in the atmosphere constant, and keep all volcanic activity occuring on a regular schedule (I suggest only in the winter months, every other thursday), and we trade enough carbon credits around enough, we could achieve our goal of maintaining a perfect, unchanging completely static climate for the first time in .... 4.5 billion years!

Wouldn't that be wonderful? Now all we have to do is decide on what temperature we would like to keep our planet's thermostat. I suggest 70 degrees Celsius with only 20% humidity. How's that? Oh, & it only rains between the hours of midnight and 6am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Okay?

Last edited by Starman71; 03-11-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,414,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Well, we could always plug the volcanos. Maybe prevent the crustal plates from moving so the ocean currents will stay constant... forever.
Hey, how about we control the sun?!?! If we can keep its output constant, and the amount of water vapor - which you know is a much worse greenhouse gas than CO2 - in the atmosphere constant, and keep all volcanic activity occuring on a regular schedule (I suggest only in the winter months, every other thursday), and we trade enough carbon credits around enough, we could achieve our goal of maintaining a perfect, unchanging completely static climate for the first time in .... 4.5 billion years!

Wouldn't that be wonderful? Now all we have to do is decide on what temperature we would like to keep our planet's thermostat. I suggest 70 degrees Celsius with only 20% humidity. How's that? Oh, & it only rains between the hours of midnight and 6am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Okay?
You forgot about our 23.5° axial tilt that gives us our seasons. We will have to straighten out the planet so there is no tilt.

You want to keep the planet at 70°C? You do realize that 70°C is 158°F do you not? That seems a tad warm to me.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You forgot about our 23.5° axial tilt that gives us our seasons. We will have to straighten out the planet so there is no tilt.

You want to keep the planet at 70°C? You do realize that 70°C is 158°F do you not? That seems a tad warm to me.
I forgot about the precession! Thanks for pointing that out! We must stop the earth from wobbling. Didn't we just finish a 23,000 year wobble here recently? Gotta put a stop to that!

And thank you for pointing out my huge mistake. Although I should have been born lizard - I love the heat - I think that 70 degrees F - roughly 20 C - might be better for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies