Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,817,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Pfft! We are likely going to have flooding in the midwest this year again. But you keep on listening to the doom and gloomers.

Who would have thought I would have NAILED this one like I did. While NOAA/NWS and the STUPID Drought Monitor were predicting doom and gloom, the sky is falling, drought expected for years... I said the statement above on February 23, 2013.

Lordy lordy... What have we here?

Twisters, floods sweep across Midwest, Plains - The Washington Post

Small Towns Prepare As Flood Moves South - weather.com

Rain driving Midwest flooding, far from over - Boston.com

Rising Mississippi River threatening towns - CenturyLink

Rain driving more Midwest flooding far from over - US News and World Report

Midwest Floods and Storms: Rain After a Drought

Midwest braces for more flooding | News Tribune

Whooda thunk I'd get this prediction right when NOAA's Drought Monitor predicted WRONG, and those IDIOTS are still predicting more intense drought, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that this probably won't happen.

This only makes me more and more convinced that NOAA/NWS are far too political. If these organizations spent as much resources doing ACTUAL work, rather than constantly pushing a politically driven agenda, a junk science, a SCAM... they would probably get it right more often than they currently do.

Yea buddy... But don't upset those folks over there at the NOAA/NWS because if you do, rather than doing their jobs with weather, they will harass you in private messages. They can't get the weather right, but they got the harassment down to a hardcore science, and YOU get to pay them to do it. Ain't government grand?

Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
According to the cited Drought Monitor site, over 35% of the D4 drought areas have been reduced to D3 or D2 areas in a mere 12 weeks. But guess what? That is NOT what they predicted. No, they predicted it to get worse and worse and WORSE. Their predictions (up to current date) do NOT match the current drought levels.

Why would a site called Drought Monitor consider predicting the drought going away? Could it have ANYTHING to do with if the drought goes away, there is no need for an organization that records and predicts drought conditions? If they are not capable of communicating a "The Sky is Falling!" styled urgent need, there will be ZERO need to continue funding such an enterprise with taxpayer money. This Drought Monitor organization is a political one... one that wants to insure ITS survival and ITS funding.

Humans CANNOT predict weather or climate beyond 5 weeks with anything better than a 50% chance. They CANNOT predict rainfall amounts in a region. They CANNOT predict whether a region will be warmer than last year. They CANNOT predict what the Jet Stream will do. They CANNOT predict when or where a tropical depression will develop. They can GUESS based on current trends... but the catch is they CANNOT predict the current trends will remain in effect.

I provided link after link showing the forecasters admitting they CANNOT do this, even with all their high powered computer modeling. Yet somehow we are expected to believe some super scientists, called "Climate Scientists" CAN predict these weather and climate conditions 1 year out... 5 years, 20 years or even 100 years out? Give me a break.

Over a course of 12 weeks, their modeling and predictions were 100% WRONG. They said the drought conditions would get WORSE, even though they are drastically improving. But you want us to change our lifestyles, creating mandatory rationing, mass changes to agriculture and industry, to offset the POSSIBILITY of continued drought as predicted by a group who can't get it right 12 weeks out? You want us to change our lifestyles based on measured CO2 levels, the natural (by nature) creation of which occurs over 10000x more than ALL humans can affect? Really?

No sane or intelligent person can rationalize these doom and gloom scenarios that claim we must alter our lifestyle. This is 100% political, pulling at the EMOTIONS of overemotional and ignorant people. I am glad that the emotion driven ignorant people typically reveal themselves. and in this case it is with a "The Sky is Falling!" styled claim.

When they get to the point where they can predict weather and climate with 90% accuracy, which they will not be able to do in our lifetimes because even THEY (the scientists) admit their study and knowledge of the sun is in its infancy, humanity should consider their warnings. Until then, Chicken Little go away.

I don't know who this KS_Referee guy is, but he seems BRILLIANT! Oh wait... It's ME!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:57 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,212,100 times
Well, it goes to show you that climate prediction is in it's infancy...

...Certain parts of the west still have the drought ongoing though...

Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,525,241 times
Quote:
Who would have thought I would have NAILED this one like I did. While NOAA/NWS and the STUPID Drought Monitor were predicting doom and gloom, the sky is falling, drought expected for years... I said the statement above on February 23, 2013.
Hello?
Attached Thumbnails
How prepared are we for the next major drought?-drmon.gif  

Old 06-04-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Well, it goes to show you that climate prediction is in it's infancy...

...Certain parts of the west still have the drought ongoing though...

Oh thank you for being a perfect example of how our education system is really screwed up. Are you incapable of reading and/or comprehending?

Quote:
Pfft! We are likely going to have flooding in the midwest this year again. But you keep on listening to the doom and gloomers.

NOAA/NWS predicted continued and worsening drought in the MIDWEST.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:13 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,212,100 times
Quote:
Oh thank you for being a perfect example of how our education system is really screwed up. Are you incapable of reading and/or comprehending?

Pardon my lack of knowledge in American geography.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Hello?

Hello what??? I posted link after link of people decrying the flooding, expecting more and more, including a link from the WEATHER CHANNEL, and you want to return to a site that I JUST accused of being more dedicated to advancing a political cause than doing REAL weather stuff?

I can't make this up. Thanks for playing...

Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM

947 posts, read 1,460,387 times
Quote:

Just because you have a period of flooding doesn't mean you will not have a drought. Often droughts follow periods of flooding. Or flooding follows droughts.

When combined a flood and a drought is devastating for the land. With all the damage done by the drought the flood removes a lot of soil causing further damage to the land.

To actually end a drought you have to have a period of consistent rainfall not a freaking flood that will come and go.
Floods Follow Drought in China - In Focus - The Atlantic

"Chinese officials say they plan to double investments in water conservation projects, as the country deals with a shortage of 40 billion cubic meters of water each year."

Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,804,522 times
The ol' gubment likes to make us think we're prepared with all the water restrictions in dry areas and precipitation monitoring, but as long as they insist on planting two miles of grass in parks that have to be watered constantly, not to mention wasting so much water on sidewalks, we'll be in trouble.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM

20,422 posts, read 12,343,234 times
Texas has been in a serious drought for a couple of years. it is directly tied to La Nina/Cool Phase PDO.

there is a La Nina building right now in the south pacific (the land of the La Nina/El Nino) and that likely will spell some relief from the drought.

that whole cool phase of the PDO thing is the kicker. I still dont quite understand cool/warm phase PDO impact to La Nina/El Nino....

its funny how the south pacific has such a direct impact on rainfall in Texas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies