Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 AM

338 posts, read 741,347 times

Advertisements

Maybe I should do some research on issues and see what both sides of the argument are, then see which side I agree with.

But, don't you have to be good at math, such as Calculus/Statistics to know how much doing something to say, improve the economy would cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Study {D} party convention platform and read the Huffington post and you will know what liberals stand for. The left is sort of bland and are in lock step with most of their positions. But with conservatives it is a different story and the {R} party is split mainly 3 ways, libertarian, social, and moderate.

This forum is a good place to learn but keep in mind it is like opening a bunch of oysters looking for a pearl. After awhile you will be able to separate people that have really something to say and have knowledge from just plain partisan idiots.

Last edited by Swingblade; 02-24-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
I didn't learn much from poli sci classes in college as they were slanted left.

At 20, keep an open mind and know that as you grow and mature your positions will change.

Keep in mind that politics are about your future pocket. Social change is accomplished at the state level. You may lean one way nationally and another locally and that's perfectly ok.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
I suggest, you read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and the Bill of Rights which are the first 10 Amendments. Then read all the Federalist Papers and as much as you can find on the Founding Fathers which will give you pretty good insight into how the meant those documents to be interpeted by the actions they themselves took.

I'll give you one example.

The 1st Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

Many on the left (liberals) believes it means "freedom FROM religion" and say there shouldn't be ANY display of religious items in public buildings or property, crosses, the 10 Commandments, nativity scenes, etc.Some are trying to get crosses removed from military cemeteries.

Children are not allowed to use prayer in any of their school sponsored activities. Religious Christmas carols are banned. They don't even want you sat Christmas. you cannot have a prayer at a graduation ceremomy etc.

Many on the right (Conservatives) DON'T believe in those things. Freedom OF religion is NOT freedom FROM religion. It ONLY means the the fedral gov't will NOT establish a natoanl religion and that each of us is free to pratice whichever religion they choose or don't practice any religion.

One of the first thing the Founding Fathers did was to appoint a chaplain and he led them in prayer before starting ANY meeting.

They appointed a chaplain of Congress who led them in prayer IN THE CAPITOL before the start of any Congressional business. This practice id STILL done today.

In the early days of our Country many writers and signers of those documents allowed and attended Sunday religious service IN THE CAPITOL BUILDING itself.

That tells me, IMO, the "liberals" are incorrect.

I look at WHAT they did, in trying to interpret WHAT they meant when the wrote the words.

After studying the writings and actions of our Founding fathers you can form your own opinions on the issues and see where you stand.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
OK, so I'm 20 years old, and I don't know much about political issues or economics, and I'm not sure what a liberal stance would be, and what a conservative one would be. What issues do those two stand on, usually? Where would I go to learn more about politics and economics?
here's a good start. Read and re-read the US Constitution. If there is anything in there you disagree with, find like minded people to correct it. If there is anything you agree with, find like minded people to protect it.

Then, keep re-reading it.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Reading the constitution is good, but...

Read the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf. Then read material related to modern histories of the respective countries.

It tells you everything you need to know about how to run a nation.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
The Political Compass - Test

Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As you can see (from post 2), this is not the place to ask that question.

Figure out what your beliefs and focus for the US are, and go from there.
Search party platforms, etc.

Take a poli sci and economics class from a local community college.
Forget that!

Just watch some groovy videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKh9Ko3mw4

Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I didn't learn much from poli sci classes in college as they were slanted left.

At 20, keep an open mind and know that as you grow and mature your positions will change.

Keep in mind that politics are about your future pocket. Social change is accomplished at the state level. You may lean one way nationally and another locally and that's perfectly ok.
I'm over 60 and just as liberal (or more so) than I was at 20.
Do not believe the malarkey that you get more conservative as you age.
That's simply absurd.
You are who you are at all times in your life.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Getting off this forum would be a good start. You'll learn nothing here.
This^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies