Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,054,087 times

Advertisements

Out of interest, I browsed a couple of pages of this thread to see what was so "great" about the debate.

And I didn't see any debate, just people throwing around opinions. The OP asked an incredibly stupid question to begin with.

But I'm sure somewhere in that head of yours, you think you're smart and doing "great" debate.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,213,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Hmm because as much as people "say" it's normal...it's not,plain and simple.
I'm pretty sure, that for those who are only attracted to people of the same sex, that it is normal.

"Normal" is subjective - what is "normal" to you isn't necessarily "normal" for someone else.

I'll bet there are probably things about you that I wouldn't consider to be "normal."

Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 PM

447 posts, read 493,572 times
I am an independent and a straight, don't discriminate other sex orientation. To redefine culture, however, is totally different issue. You guys can call whatever you like, but why you want to change the culture definition? It seems like a culture revolution, isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
In my home island, Puerto Rico, homophobia is rampant, but the United States does not fall behind that much.

The arguments from people who do not want gay marriage to happen are basically related to religion. Here, I believe, state and religion are separate entities, and the constitution's current definition of marriage as a reason to oppose gay marriage is overwhelmingly vague, since it can be amended, it is not static.

Now there is something that worries me about people's "violent" opposition to gay marriage. Some people react as of this was a murder of an innocent person. Some people dare to compare homosexuality to some paraphilias, like pedophilia and zoophilia. I have even read people that say gays should die! Just what the heck is going on with some people? What is all this fear about? If you are not gay, then you are not gay. It's just as simple as that. While seeing two men or two women kissing could result weird today because it is not the norm to see it everyday (well at least in many parts of the world, maybe SF and Europe are exceptions), why would that bother you?

I am not gay and I support full rights for the LBGT community. I am sure of what I am. Are you?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
I am straight but don't discriminate other sex orientation. To redefine culture, however, is totally different issue. You guys can call whatever you like, but why you want to change the culture definition? It seems like a culture revolution, isn't it.
First off, if you don't want to allow two people who love each other the right to marry based on who they are (their sexual orientation), then, yes, you do discriminate.

Secondly, what is a "culture revolution" and what has that got to do with marriage equality?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,454,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Only a man and a woman can be married. Two gays can be together and be granted all the rights and enjoy their lives much like heterosexuals, but they cannot be married because the are not a man and a woman. Gays can do some things like people can do in marriage but they cannot BE married.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but my partner and I of 34 years got married, are married and call it married. You do not own the word and do not have the right to monopolize it, nor does the church.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but my partner and I of 34 years got married, are married and call it married. You do not own the word and do not have the right to monopolize it, nor does the church.
I'm straight and I've been married (and divorced) twice and the number of total years I was married only amounts to about half the time you and your partner have been together.

Congratulations!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,552,638 times
Hm, this is a hard thread to find a home for. First debates, now politics, and I'm thinking it should have been moved to the religious thread seeing the church made the one man, one women a trend some religious people are fighting to solely keep.

As long as we don't recognize marriage between others we are in violation of the constitution. Marriage between a man and woman is a religious law in acted in certain faiths. America has freedom of religion and from religion. It doesn't make sense to fight for heterosexual only marriage in a country who's government is free of religious rule.

Our morality is put forward by our society as a whole, our codes of conduct are defined by our behavior, not by religion. It makes little sense to not recognize gay marriage. It's moral in the eye of society, just not moral to some specific groups of our society. I see it becoming legal across all states within the next 10 years. I don't see how it couldn't proceed. IMO, of course.

Those who fight against it are fighting the freedoms and constitution of the United States. There is little room for winning that fight. We are equal, and moral regardless of religion. America doesn't have a religious based government despite having people of religion involved in it.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,194,644 times
I think the worst part of it is conservatives are scared that the government is going to force private businesses to support gay marriage even if it goes against their values, much like they are already doing with Obamacare. That fear is probably true, but its something they are going to have to live with. Don't support gay marriage? Don't own a business.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Actually I appreciate your marriage as it helps rid our society of religious rule. It has no place in America. We are constitutionally free of such dominance. We fled England to extinguish religious rule from society. So, I say thank you to those of you who were persistent and pursued your rightful equality. Laying the path is difficult, but needed.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think the worst part of it is conservatives are scared that the government is going to force private businesses to support gay marriage even if it goes against their values, much like they are already doing with Obamacare. That fear is probably true, but its something they are going to have to live with. Don't support gay marriage? Don't own a business.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies