Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
That is a dumb question.
you cannot compare or ask if one is ok if the other is ok.
Incest is the act of sex with a close relative.
Marriage is a formal union between a man and wife.

So.. where does a sex act with a close relative even come close to a union between a man and wife?

Apples to oranges.
Uh.................you do realize the topic is same sex marriage, correct?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Why if I support marriage to include homosexuality...you make the leap to include incest?? I could turn your support of marriage as defined by one woman to one man and make the leap it could be a mother(woman) married to her adult son(man)! That is just a crazy leap in logic!
Only if you support it citing "marriage equality" as your reason; that's the thread topic, it's all right in these pages. Either you believe in marriage equality for consenting adults, or you do not. I'm simply holding you to your own standards.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Procreation is not a consideration in determining whom one can marry. That is not an underlying argument at all. That is simple fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The reason to forbid incestuous marriages is based on their potential progeny. It is a valid reason, as I've pointed out. Because, given the societal taboos against incest, incest tends to occur within families that are isolated, for whatever reason, from the society around them. Incest tends to be symptomatic of other disfunctions within the family. And due to the isolation, incest becomes systemic within a family. When incest becomes systemic and is passed on from generation to generation, the risk of adverse genetic consequences increases. If it's just one couple then the ban seems illogical. But if it's familial, then society does have an interest in regulating incest.
Which is it, Dude?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
I support allowing same couples to get married. Consenting adults can already engage in incest if they choose to.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Only if you support it citing "marriage equality" as your reason; that's the thread topic, it's all right in these pages. Either you believe in marriage equality for consenting adults, or you do not. I'm simply holding you to your own standards.
Again I ask if you define marriage between one woman and one man do you thereby have to include cases of incest?...since you are forcing me to such an epic leap in logic...shouldn't you do likewise??? I'll answer for you... because I think you lack intellectual integrity on this issue...No of course it would not include incest...equality doesn't make a crime suddenly legal(I still hope incest is a crime even in the south)! If you can't make an argument against gay marriage on it's merits...don't resort to huge leaps in logic!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Please. Let's get real here.
Incest between 2 immediate family members, no matter what sex is involved, is not acceptable in the huge majority of civilizations all over the world, and never has been.

The reasons are very obvious. Incest causes anger and distress in any form of family, and human beings have known for thousands of years that the children born of incest are often genetically screwed up.

Without a doubt, incest in all it's forms happens. But never with society's consent and approval.

This topic was a misfire from the get-go.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I support allowing same couples to get married. Consenting adults can already engage in incest if they choose to.
And consenting adults can already engage in gay stuff if they choose to; that's not the topic. The topic is marriage equality for consenting incestual couples. Do you support marriage equality?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Again I ask if you define marriage between one woman and one man do you thereby have to include cases of incest?...since you are forcing me to such an epic leap in logic...shouldn't you do likewise??? I'll answer for you... because I think you lack intellectual integrity on this issue...No of course it would not include incest...equality doesn't make a crime suddenly legal(I still hope incest is a crime even in the south)! If you can't make an argument against gay marriage on it's merits...don't resort to huge leaps in logic!!!
No, of course I don't. I do not support the redefinition of marriage; I assumed that was pretty apparent in my posts. I apologize for not making my position clear.

Homosexuality was once a crime too; what's your point? Who are you to force your views on consenting adults?

Bi-racial marriage was once illegal, I guess you were against that too then, huh?

Either you're for marriage equality, or you're not. I'm simply holding you to your own standards. Defend them.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Please. Let's get real here.
Incest between 2 immediate family members, no matter what sex is involved, is not acceptable in the huge majority of civilizations all over the world, and never has been.

The reasons are very obvious. Incest causes anger and distress in any form of family, and human beings have known for thousands of years that the children born of incest are often genetically screwed up.

Without a doubt, incest in all it's forms happens. But never with society's consent and approval.

This topic was a misfire from the get-go.
The same exact thing can be said about homosexuality until about 20 years ago, and still not in many places, but ideas change and evolve. How can you not see that everything that you just wrote about incest, was and still is said and believed about homosexuality in many places around the world? How can you be so oblivious to your own ironic post?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
And consenting adults can already engage in gay stuff if they choose to; that's not the topic. The topic is marriage equality for consenting incestual couples. Do you support marriage equality?
Is it legal for straight incestual couples to get married?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies