Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times

Advertisements

THis is actually more so of a whistle blower in action. Juan is pretty much a liberal on an otherwise conservative network. If he is saying this--then there is some degree of credibility here. This isn't just a Fox conservative analyst mouthing off i.e. O'Reilly, Stossel or Lous Dobbs. This is more so someone who would otherwise fit within the viewpoint of panelists on MSNBC making this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
I got into politics in 2007, I have never once heard any liberal refer to Juan Williams as such. I have never heard a liberal agree with his thoughts when he is on FOX.

so why exactly do conservative(to be more specific, fox viewers) see him as(it is being said on this site) a "true" Liberal ????

If we apply your same logic to conservatives, then you must accept criticism from people like Dylan Ratigan,Joe Scarborough, S.E. Cupp, Michael Steele, Steve Schmidt and so on.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
THis is actually more so of a whistle blower in action. Juan is pretty much a liberal on an otherwise conservative network. If he is saying this--then there is some degree of credibility here. This isn't just a Fox conservative analyst mouthing off i.e. O'Reilly, Stossel or Lous Dobbs. This is more so someone who would otherwise fit within the viewpoint of panelists on MSNBC making this statement.
MSNBC panels are filled with both Democrats and Republicans, so everyone fits within the viewpoints of those panels, NOW, if you meant liberals then you are wrong.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I got into politics in 2007, I have never once heard any liberal refer to Juan Williams as such. I have never heard a liberal agree with his thoughts when he is on FOX.

so why exactly do conservative(to be more specific, fox viewers) see him as(it is being said on this site) a "true" Liberal ????

If we apply your same logic to conservatives, then you must accept criticism from people like Dylan Ratigan,Joe Scarborough, S.E. Cupp, Michael Steele, Steve Schmidt and so on.
On Fox he ostensibly defends Obama and Democratic viewpoints. I'm not so sure I have heard other liberals comment on the viewpoints of Juan Williams specfically--however I have heard liberals (and I am sure you have to) defend the very same points that he makes when defending them against the Right.

As for conservatives--I don't see your point. No one disagrees that conservative leadership is lacking across the board; that was brought up numerous times following the McCain campaign. Even the most vocal of those who are prominent conservative spokesmen themselves (Hannity, Levin, Limbaugh, Kruathammer etc) openly state and critisize them on that.

However, this is not a question of Republicans admitting problems within their own party, it's a question of whether or not liberals will.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Ah, The Blaze, that pillar of journalistic excellence and window into Glenn Beck's mind - the source of rational conservative thought today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I agree with Juan 100%. I'm not a conservative or liberal. Straght up capitalist.
Conservatives are far more tolerant of other viewpoints. It aint even close.
Liberals are the most close-minded people I've ever met. Most racist too. Aint even close.
You have written your own dictionary, or adopted the Fox version. Here's an example:
DEFINING
Quote: "Many Democrats have clung to the word “Progressive” because during the past 30 years, Republicans and Conservatives successfully mislabeled the word “Liberal” to scare many lazy and uneducated people into believing that it meant a variety of anti-social, immoral and vile beliefs. Democrats allowed the word “liberal” to be so perverted by Republicans that they had to use “Progressive” to distance themselves from that disgraced word."

So the lazy and uneducated dupes are making Rupert and Fox talking heads very wealthy.

‘Low-Effort Thought’ Promotes Political Conservatism, New Study Says | Mediaite
This sheds light on Fox programming decisions, and the lack of real news. It's a nice cocoon where all your prejudices can be nurtured.
Quote: “...that political conservatism may be a process consequence of low-effort thought; when effortful, deliberate thought is disengaged,....."

Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Juan Williams is a lightweight, the token "voice of the left" on Fox because he was always introduced as "Juan Williams of NPR" (you know, the left-wing propaganda network) - even though he merely agreed with them much of the time. So we were all supposed to think he was part of Fox's "fair and balanced" reporting. When I watched them, they never had someone on their roundtables who was dynamically liberal on issues.
Fox is always on the lookout for "liberals" who won't put up much of an argument, or who can be cowed by the other panelists. Juan was/is their guy.

Here he is described as a "centrist", which is sort of how I saw him. Yet it seems as though Fox was billing him as "leftist". This is a tactic used by GOP media - redefine moderates as leftist, thus moving the political spectrum rightward. People of moderate views are now "liberals" or "leftist".
Juan Williams
This is the article's description, and I agree:
"He later became a successful author and worked as a centrist political analyst for NPR and Fox News."

Yet,
Fox and contributors were fond of calling Bill Clinton, for instance, "far left".

Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Juan Williams is a lightweight, the token "voice of the left" on Fox because he was always introduced as "Juan Williams of NPR" (you know, the left-wing propaganda network) - even though he merely agreed with them much of the time. So we were all supposed to think he was part of Fox's "fair and balanced" reporting. When I watched them, they never had someone on their roundtables who was dynamically liberal on issues.
Fox is always on the lookout for "liberals" who won't put up much of an argument, or who can be cowed by the other panelists. Juan was/is their guy.

Here he is described as a "centrist", which is sort of how I saw him. Yet it seems as though Fox was billing him as "leftist". This is a tactic used by GOP media - redefine moderates as leftist, thus moving the political spectrum rightward. People of moderate views are now "liberals" or "leftist".
Juan Williams
This is the article's description, and I agree:
"He later became a successful author and worked as a centrist political analyst for NPR and Fox News."

Yet,
Fox and contributors were fond of calling Bill Clinton, for instance, "far left".
Allow me to give you lefties a clue?

Do a search once in a while.
Use Fox and my user name.

Laziness tends to run in liberals when it comes to doing their own research so I did some for you!

I Know, I Know .. You're use to parroting the likes of Chrissy Matthews or Ed (potty mouth) Shultz but .. Try reading this once.

spoon feeding begins Here:

It would certainly help in cutting down on the posts that liberals make in .. 'whining' about Fox News .. if only the mods would make This a 'sticky'!

I hear this all the time .. "Fox News is for the Right Wing Nuts" or .. "Fox News is the 'unfair' and 'unbalanced' for the 'unbalanced"!

Since I stopped watching and relying on Fox Snooze when Shep Smith became the stations 'mascot', I decided to take another look so as to respond to all of the 'lefties' and their 'outdated' rants about .. 'Fox Snooze'!

The following is a simple summary and reply to all of those that continue to believe that Fox is the ambassador for the Right Wing among us!

IF you had been paying attention .. Fox went liberal long ago and they continue to do so.

The Major problem that the Leftists/Liberals face when criticizing Fox is .. There's a Lot of Leftists/Liberals .. On Fox!

Some are on .. 'A Lot' others .. Not So Much!

But the fact is .. They get the air time!

I don't 'think' that I have to give an in-depth resume' for each of the following .. You know who they are.

Most of you 'lefties' should be 'ecstatic' over the latest hire!
(DON'T MISS THE LAST ENTRY or the Sally Kohn review detwahDJ .. In response to your bolded words above)

Now, just off the top of my head .. I will name a few:

Juan williams
(Every Show, Al day and All night)

Bob Beckel

Why is Beckel — a true-blue Democrat who worked for Robert F. Kennedy and ran Walter Mondale’s 1984 presidential campaign — giving comfort to the enemy?

In Beckel's own words:
Quote:
“I talk to more persuadable voters in a month than anybody on MSNBC and CNN talks to in a year.”

*****-aldo Rivera (spelling? )

Kirsten Powers

Alan Colmes

Susan Estrich

Marc Lamont Hill

Al less than Sharptoon (Al Sharpton to you liberals)

Doug Schoen (Democratic pollster)

Shep Smith

Lanny Davis: former White House counsel for Bill Clinton

Tamara Holder

Sally Kohn Below is a 'review' from a liberal site:

Quote:
Before I launch into the segment itself, I want to note that I found it interesting that Fox News has brought on someone who isn't a liberal in name only as a contributor. Kohn's background is not the usual Fox News centrist Conservadem fare: she's got ties to the OWS movement, she has strong organizing credentials, and she's decidedly liberal.
And last but 'certainly' not least:

Santita Jackson

Daughter of Race Baiter 'extraordinaire' .. Jesse Jackson who is no stranger to Fox either!

The new Fox News contributor lists the notorious Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Jr., as being among her personal “activities and interests” on her Facebook page.

Equally significant, Jackson’s bio describes her as a founding contributor to The Grio, a website dedicated to black news and opinion owned by MSNBC and which is produced in cooperation with NBC News. She lists The Grio as being among her other activities and links to a description of the site.

Hence, Fox News is sharing personnel with a rival network, another indication of the channel’s move to the left.

As I said .. These are but a few of the one's that come to mind and there are more (many more) but .. You get the idea .. don't you!?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Ah, The Blaze, that pillar of journalistic excellence and window into Glenn Beck's mind - the source of rational conservative thought today.
Can you point to any factually inaccurate story that the The Blaze has ever done without correcting or retracting the story?

The New York Times, the #1 newspaper in the nation, had their own ombudsman admit it had a liberal bias.

Quote:
You have written your own dictionary, or adopted the Fox version. Here's an example:
DEFINING
Quote: "Many Democrats have clung to the word “Progressive” because during the past 30 years, Republicans and Conservatives successfully mislabeled the word “Liberal” to scare many lazy and uneducated people into believing that it meant a variety of anti-social, immoral and vile beliefs. Democrats allowed the word “liberal” to be so perverted by Republicans that they had to use “Progressive” to distance themselves from that disgraced word."

So the lazy and uneducated dupes are making Rupert and Fox talking heads very wealthy.
Of course the word "liberal" originally meant supporting individual freedom and small government. The founding fathers - extreme conservatives by today's standards - were liberals. Thus the term "classical liberal" to differentiate them from modern liberals.

And another point ignored here is that the new progressives who abandoned the word liberal, had been using the word liberal after abandoning the word progressive due to the self-identified Progressives advocating a variety of racist and violent policies including eugenics.

so what detwahDJ says here is true, but it's only a half-truth. Using the portion of the truth that supports his biases, instead of the entire truth.

Also notice that liberals have continuously labelled conservatives with a variety of anisocial, immoral, and vile beliefs - racism, warmongering, sexism, oligarchical, anti-science - but detwahDJ also fails to mention that.

Quote:
‘Low-Effort Thought’ Promotes Political Conservatism, New Study Says | Mediaite
This sheds light on Fox programming decisions, and the lack of real news. It's a nice cocoon where all your prejudices can be nurtured.
Quote: “...that political conservatism may be a process consequence of low-effort thought; when effortful, deliberate thought is disengaged,....."
Funny how you didn't use this quote from the same source, sent in as a clarification from the person who conducted the study: this conclusion does not imply that conservatives are intellectually lazy. “Our research shows that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism, not that political conservatives use low-effort thinking”

So you use the study to promote the very same same conclusion that Huffington Post did and ignore the correction given by the study's author saying precisely that study should not be taken to support that conclusion.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
says the disgruntled ex-employee....that means so much to me, yawn
You pretty much proved Juan Williams' point. You don't address anything he said, any argument he made, just dismiss him via a name-calling "disgruntled ex-employee" tactic.

Interestingly Williams still remains basically a liberal. Within the past month I've seen him several times on TV, and every time he is defending Obamanomics and attacking Republicans. Fine, he's a true believer in the efficacy of big-gov't, and at his age he's probably not going to change that. And that just makes his complaint all the more compelling.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Did I miss where he was stabbed and killed?
It is just a metaphor. Rest assured that Williams was not saying that he was literally stabbed. He was fired from a long time gig that served as his home base, and his boss insinuated that he needed psychiatric attention. How would you react if your school fired you from your teaching gig and told the local paper that you had mental issues?

Plus Williams has been called oreo, Uncle Tom, etc.
Daily Kos: Juan Williams, a 21st Century Uncle Tom some say#

He's taken a lot of flak all, because he doesn't toe the lefty line on certain matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies