U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 PM

10,024 posts, read 9,731,118 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I worked for the Democrat Party of Illinois. I used to believe that liberals were right and conservatives were evil. I believed that conservatives wanted to curtail my freedom. I also was a fighter against censorship in the media and my thinking liberals were for freedom. I was abortion for all, casual sex for all, affirmative action and welfare for all. You get my point.

What made me change was many things. I lived in an area that started drastically changing from middle class professionals to people from the housing projects and others on welfare. I started seeing the abuse of the system. I also started seeing that what I believed was wrong. Also, I started working and started to see more and more of my money disappear and during this time I had a friend who was on welfare. I started seeing people really messed up by all that casual sex.

I get more annoyed by liberals than I do conservatives now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 PM

46,038 posts, read 31,293,591 times
Okay, but did you vote for the Libertarian party in the last election?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM

Yes I did though voted for Obama in 2008 (I regret this).

Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 PM

Well at least you voted for your party rather than all those that claim to be libertarian but check the republican box every election.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,191,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Many years ago I worked for the Democrat Party of Illinois. I used to believe that liberals were right and conservatives were evil. I believed that conservatives wanted to curtail my freedom. I also was a fighter against censorship in the media and my thinking liberals were for freedom. I was abortion for all, casual sex for all, affirmative action and welfare for all. You get my point.

What made me change was many things. I lived in an area that started drastically changing from middle class professionals to people from the housing projects and others on welfare. I started seeing the abuse of the system. I also started seeing that what I believed was wrong. Also, I started working and started to see more and more of my money disappear and during this time I had a friend who was on welfare. I started seeing people really messed up by all that casual sex.

I get more annoyed by liberals than I do conservatives now.
You have a very reasoned argument, similar feelings that I share with you. Do you feel the same way about the gross corporate welfare and overbloated defense budget too in the same way? Libertarians make the most sense to me as well, but there aren't enough of us to make a difference. Rand Paul has some reasonable positions, but his publicized racist views make me wary of him. I also cast my vote for the Libertarian pres candidate in 2012, since it wouldn't make a difference in Texas. I however loudly prefer Obama to ANY republican alternative.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitthenet View Post
There's no such thing as a libertarian.
Those that claim that they are libertarian is merely jaded conservatives. They are too embarrassed to be associated with the cons
In most cases you are right, but I believe there are a few people who honestly support the libertarian party.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You have a very reasoned argument, similar feelings that I share with you. Do you feel the same way about the gross corporate welfare and overbloated defense budget too in the same way? Libertarians make the most sense to me as well, but there aren't enough of us to make a difference. Rand Paul has some reasonable positions, but his publicized racist views make me wary of him. I also cast my vote for the Libertarian pres candidate in 2012, since it wouldn't make a difference in Texas. I however loudly prefer Obama to ANY republican alternative.
Yes I do and I oppose any corporate welfare except for tax breaks to companies to keep jobs here. Not that I am happy about that, but we need some incentive to keep jobs here. I also feel the defense budget is too high and want us out of Afghanistan.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yes I do and I oppose any corporate welfare except for tax breaks to companies to keep jobs here. Not that I am happy about that, but we need some incentive to keep jobs here. I also feel the defense budget is too high and want us out of Afghanistan.
I will agree with that.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,280,721 times
Quote:
There's no such thing as a libertarian.
Those that claim that they are libertarian are merely jaded conservatives. They are too embarrassed to be associated with the cons
lols. Wake us up when the Space Shuttle lands.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,280,721 times
Quote:
You are either LEFT or RIGHT. It's that simple.
You could be right with some left in you or you could be left with some right in you. There's no such thing as a libertarian. Im willing to go out on a limb and say independents, too.
well, I'm an anarcho-capiltalist. That means I believe the best system would be to have no government anywhere and run everything on the free market.

So does that make me a leftie or rightie???

Obviously it's possible to be a Libertarian. They have offices and candidates and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or