Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times

Advertisements

The Solyandra employees all got TAA benefits as well and they went bankrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
You gotta be kidding me. Heck I didn't even know they still did that until I read that article. That all started after NAFTA. I remember some folks in the tech school I was at twenty years or so ago who got it all paid for because their factory shut down never showing up and getting it all for free while I was working two jobs to support the family and go to school at night. Once the gravy starts it never ends.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
IT is not unionized.

I don't know the details and this was back during the mass layoffs in early 2009.
FWIW IT layoffs peaked in 2006-2007 when the ecomomy was strong and nobody cared. I watched 1400 positions disappear on a Friday in the US and by Monday most of those positions were replaced by Indian names (contact list directory). The positions that couldn't be replaced outside of the US, were insourced to third party companies at 40% paycuts that used none of the original staff and changed all the names of the staff positions. Now many of those Indians are losing their jobs since technology has caught up to them, thus making many of their positions no longer necessary. some of those positions have come back to the US. Problem is they came back at the rate of 20+ years ago and the younger generation thinks its a great wage, until they actually try to live off of it because the expenses are not the same as 20 years ago.

As to the Hostess employees: So what. Its a short term bandaid and not as fix. Even if they are re-trained, most are not going to see the union wage ever again. Even if items can be baked in other countries cheaper, newer technology in robotics and manufacturing makes most tradespersons into laborers. Thus even if the positions come back they will have not have a value much more than minimum wage. Thus in the end, the funding of this act makes the numbers (unemployment,welfare,etc...) look better when in reality they are not.

If I could find a postion equal to my 2009 rate of pay in the US, then I wouldn't be working in another country right now (my training is up to date with current technology) in IT.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,713,784 times
Default We need those Twinkies back in production...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
then sell the company for $390M. Somebody made money out of the deal. I'm sure if investors took a hit, that news would be front and center on this forum.

NEW YORK — Hostess has picked a lead bidder for its famous Twinkies.
The bankrupt company said late Wednesday that it has selected a joint offer from two investment firms – C. Dean Metropoulos & Co. and Apollo Global Management LLC – as the lead bid for its Twinkies and other snack cakes.
Hostess, says the two are offering to pay $410 million for the snack-cake business and five bakeries.
The "stalking horse" bid would set the floor for an auction process that lets competitors make better offers. A judge would have to approve any final sale.
After years of management turmoil and turnover.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,258,541 times
This is disgusting! I really do hate these Democrats!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So it's everybody's fault but dear union, the one union out of the bunch who held out and forced the entire thing to occur. Now YOU are paying for them to move, go to school, and sit around for two years playing displaced worker. All this for some clown who dumped flower into a mixer.

IT folks don't have unions because they are smart enough to negotiate their own salaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Your right every bit of this whole thing has everything to do with STEALING hard working American's dollars and giving it to people, whose work, wage and benefit demands crippled their industry thereby causing them to become unemployed.

The greatest harm caused by the unions is removing efficiency in the name of building union membership to gain union membership dues. What do I mean by that? A truck driver who can only deliver a specific good to a store. Another driver must be hired to deliver the second type of good to the exact same store. Both of these drivers are getting full wage and two trucks are now needed because their union will not allow them to perform a single but efficient job of delivering two different products to the exact same store.

Unions interfere with common sense and good efficient business practices. They do this so they can get more money in union coffers. They also do this so they can gain strength through increased numbers in order to force additional wage and benefit burdens upon the employer.

Unions are nothing more than legalized mafia thugs.
I don't know how well y'all can read, but this law applies to non-union workers as well.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
When the word gets out everybody will go on strike and join the new wave of displaced workers being paid to sit around and do nothing by the taxpayers. Only democrats can dream up this type of insanity and of course will defend it too.

"Last November, Hostess Brands went into liquidation, throwing 18,500 employees out of their jobs. The baking giant had been through two restructurings, but the company remained unprofitable.

All the same, most workers at the bread and pastry maker, famous for its Twinkies and Ho Hos snack cakes, were willing to tighten their belts until good times returned.

They included hard-line unions, such as the Teamsters, not known for making concessions.
But there was one exception: the AFL-CIO-affiliated Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers & Grain Millers International (BCTGM).

It refused to deal, taking the entire company, including fellow workers, down with it.
Turns out the union knew exactly what it was doing.

This week, the Labor Department decided to shower Hostess workers with Trade Adjustment Assistance, a multibillion-dollar pork barrel program that was beefed up as a bone to Democrats, who were blocking passage of three free-trade treaties in Congress in 2012.

TAA is a lavish program doled out by the Labor Department for laid-off workers who've lost their jobs due to "global trade."
It provides worker retraining due to the supposed evils of free trade — plus moving expenses, baby-sitting expenses and as much as two years of unemployment pay. If a worker ends up making less than his union salary afterward, Uncle Sam spots the worker for 50% of the supposed lost wages in a "free" subsidy.

Read More At IBD: After Bankrupting Hostess, Union Parasites Rake In Federal Dough - Investors.com

Yeah baby! It's not the corporatists that have destroyed this country. NOSIREE! It's: THE WORKERS! Yeah, when in doubt blame those low on the totem pole - always!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:02 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is disgusting! I really do hate these Democrats!
GREAT!

Hate real hard!

The only person it'll hurt is you and Democrats will laugh at you.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
The bias in that editorial is overwhelming. The post is biased too. It blames the unions who "refused to deal, taking the entire company, including fellow workers, down with it," but doesn't mention that management didn't deal either.

Trade Adjustment Assistance program is for workers who lost their jobs due to foreign international trade. I don't know what that has to do with the Hostess issue.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,751,046 times
Of course the union is the real problem, not the greedy corporate exes who want million dollar parachutes while everyone else gets screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies