Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times

Advertisements

Draft legislation circulated by Democratic lawmakers in Wisconsin would ban civilian possession of hollow point and frangible ammunition that, according to state Department of Natural Resources regulations, are required for hunting deer and bear, Media Trackers reported on Friday.

Wisconsin Democrats circulate legislation to ban hunting ammunition - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
That's great. Make people use fmj ammo that penetrates walls more easily. Defiantly the best choice for self defense in an urban environment.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That's great. Make people use fmj ammo that penetrates walls more easily. Defiantly the best choice for self defense in an urban environment.

I use FMJ rifle ammo in my home. 147 grain 7.62x51 ammo. no worries about going through my walls either.

banning hunting ammo in Wisconsin will never happen. hunting is too much of a Wisconsin past time.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 AM

651 posts, read 705,511 times
This is why the Dems are over stepping and my be going a bridge too far. They want to ban ban ban without understanding the first thing of how guns work. First off FMJ rifle ammo is more likely to go through a vest then one that mushrooms out. That then is deemed a cop killer bullet. Second anyone who has the first idea of how a gun works can make a hollow point out of a FMJ with a drill press and some time to make small holes in the bullet. I made several for my Makarov when it was very hard to find any for them. You can file off a rifle bullet and then drill down into it.

Now for hunting and all the animal rights people. A FMJ bullet can go in and out and do much less damage making big game able to "gel" up and run miles before collapsing and beading out. Now animals will just die and not be tagged so you have affectivly caused the needless death of game animals.

This is why I have decided to vote against any dems who vote for this stupid gun crap from the knee jerk reacting. Waaaaaaa some kids died so lets do something stupid that causes more problems but makes us feel good when we buy our 47 dollar Moca banana latte.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Bullet construction is a science.

The plan to maximize release of energy depending on the density of the target.

For groundhogs you want a bullet to expand almost on contact. This fragile bullet comes apart and poses no danger to anything beyond the target.

It would be unsafe to use a 22.250 in NJ with solid bullets though that caliber is allowed for groundhog hunting. You can see the downstream impact that may further restrict hunting rights in many areas.

City hostage situations use these type of bullets.

Shooting coyotes or fox with the eintent to sell the fur also requires a bullet that will enter and not exit.

Full metal jacket is a geneva convention agreement to reduce damage. No expansion and complete pass throughs.

In other words there is a bullet for every occassion, banning certain types of bullet construction will generate negative saftey and humanitarian issues.

Get shot with a 22 and the bullet can travel along bone and end up who knows where in the body.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
Yet more proposed laws by politicians who haven't a clue what they're talking about. A full jacket round will go through a wall, your neighbors wall, another wall. Hollow points are meant to provide maximum stopping power by mushrooming.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
banning hunting ammo in Wisconsin will never happen. hunting is too much of a Wisconsin past time.
I don't think it will happen either. I didn't think it would happen when I read the article but I posted the article anyway. I think that it's important to stay vigilant on what is happening (or what might be happening). I think that it's important to realize that even if it doesn't happen now there is a WILL to introduce this (and other such legislation) floating all over the country.

I also posted it because I believe in the old saying of "never say never".

Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM

89,036 posts, read 44,853,831 times
That will NEVER pass in Wisconsin. There are a LOT of hunters in Wisconsin.

Once again, Wisconsin Democrats shoot themselves in the foot. Pun intended.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I use FMJ rifle ammo in my home. 147 grain 7.62x51 ammo. no worries about going through my walls either.

Unless you live in a brick house those rounds will rip right through your walls like a hot knife through butter. Don't kid yourself.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Isn't the concern over frangible ammunition all about the fact that most are made with lead and it's environmental impacts? I had read that previous conversations about this in WI was for lead ammo, and that under other proposed rules frangible ammo made with other metals would still be allowed.

I just read the draft bill, and it's very poorly written by someone who obviously knows nothing about hunting or ammo. It won't make it out of committee, but don't let that get in the way of another OMG Gunngrabber libs!!11! thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies