Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hahaha. Gotta laugh at the bitter Obama-haters. How pathetic they are!

Yes, it's all a conspiracy, isn't it!

The haters are just nuts.
Are you purposely ignorant? 0bama calls his aids and has them schedule him to appear on The View. What the hell conspiracy are you talking about?

0bama thinks he is a pop star, and his wife fancies herself a more mature Paris Hilton, and a senate legislature, and a dietician, and next week who knows what new area of expertise she will manufacture for herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think that Obama also illustrates the generation gap very well. Bush is about my Dad's age. My dad doesn't use facebook. He might pop in once a quarter. Once in a while I'll get chastised by him because I don't watch CNN or the news regularly. And he'll mention a story to me, and I'll comment. "Yeah, I saw that on twitter or facebook a couple of hours ago." He'll be completely surprised. For him, it is very weird to think there is a source of news outside of the newspaper etc. This is not to say he isn't online. He reads all of the key online versions of publications.

Most of my relatives under 50 do use facebook ant twitter pretty regularly.

The penetration of social media has a very distinct age gap. I would not expect Bush to be there, as very few of his "contemporaries" think of it as something that is an essential communication tool. Which is inline with how most people in that age demographic act.

"Younger" people are using social media to filter their news. So in order to appeal to these "younger" people, you have to find a way to get into their filter. Social media is increasingly the way.

Here are some stats on social media by demographic. Obama has figured out, more than many recent politicians have, the idea of going where your audience is. And Obamas audience is all over social media. Over 50% of people under 65 are on social media. And over 75% of people under 49.

Pew Internet: Social Networking (full detail) | Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project
I don't necessarily disagree that Obama has "figured" these "younger generations" out, I was just observing the efficacy of the venues that he and Michelle have popularized themselves with.

Michelle for example presented the final (and most coveted) award for best picture via satellite at the White House and I believe the median age of viewers of the Academy Awards is 62. So,
again, the question begs, why the Oscars? While I get the need to harness the most modern methods communication with those in younger generations via facebook, youtube etc, what was her purpose of using the White House a platform for a pop culture award's show?

Taking into consideration all of their appearences on Late Night and Day Time talk shows, in addition to social media; They seem to have every base covered and it appears as if they are doing more than just reaching out to the "younger generation." It appears as if they are popularizing or selling an image as opposed to ideas, which conservative commentators have made note of.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
It fits. Hollywood hypocritical trash and the Obamas. A match made in a hell.

They deserve each other. Hollywood hypocrites who dont like this country and the Obamas who will help destroy it. Or transform it as they like to put it

So screw her and hollywood

So hateful and bitter. Most losers are.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think this is a well-thoughout explanation of avoiding the idea that the Obama's aren't responsible for that they have chosen to connect with "society." I think what you've identified underscores the point of how they have more so chosen to connect with society rather than how society has chosen to connect with them. Besides, who can blame them? It's really quite ingenious. For all intents and purposes, it's easier to sell yourself to the general public, than it is sell your ideas to the opposition.

Either way, just thinking back a few years, George W. Bush was arguably just as recognizable (notice that I did not say 'popular') as Obama ever was. He was President for 8 years during the same budding popularity of social networking and the information age where (blogging, forums, Facebook, Myspace etc) were all quite common methods of communication. However, however (and this is just from my recollection) I don't recall him ever campaigning away from the traditional method that Presidents before him have used in the past. He traveled from town to town, made a few appearences and that was pretty much it. Nothing out of the ordinary. However with the Obamas, imo there's an obvious leap that is almost uncanny in how they reach out to their audience to garner support.

I mean there really is a stark contrst in how the Obamas get their message acrosss compared to every single President that came before them--even with the few that were just ahead of him a year or two earlier.
I don't want our politicians thinking the voters in a presidential election are electing the next winner from American Idol. We hire them to hold office and do a job, not dance, sing, joke and show up in every single form of media and entertainment in our lives. Just do the freaking job we elected you to, and stop trying to pretend you are a pop star. what a waste of taxpayer money and resources.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
It fits. Hollywood hypocritical trash and the Obamas. A match made in a hell.

They deserve each other. Hollywood hypocrites who dont like this country and the Obamas who will help destroy it. Or transform it as they like to put it

So screw her and hollywood

Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't want our politicians thinking the voters in a presidential election are electing the next winner from American Idol. We hire them to hold office and do a job, not dance, sing, joke and show up in every single form of media and entertainment in our lives. Just do the freaking job we elected you to, and stop trying to pretend you are a pop star. what a waste of taxpayer money and resources.
Tell that to 51% of the country. They voted for cult of personality.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
So hateful and bitter. Most losers are.
The losers are our children and grandchildren. We have every right to be bitter. These Chicago thugs and the lamestream media stole this election on the graves of 4 brave Americans. They are disgusting, low-life, lying thieves, statist capitalists, snivelling, egomaniacal, self-absorbed POSs and yes, i hate them.

BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI!

FAST & FURIOUS! FAST & FURIOUS! FAST & FURIOUS!

Wait, was this the civility thread? Ooops! LOL!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
So the fact that FDR, Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush appeared in the 1941, 1981, and 2002 Oscar ceremonies, respectively, was also cause for disdain and derision?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM

602 posts, read 574,071 times
Well, they ARE pop stars.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So the fact that FDR, Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush appeared in the 1941, 1981, and 2002 Oscar ceremonies, respectively, was also cause for disdain and derision?
First of all, there wasn't even a TV in every home when FDR did whatever he did. Ronald Reagan was nominated 7 times for an Academy Award. And what was it GW did in 2002? I couldn't seem to find any mention of it on the web, unlike what a propagandist disgrace it was to have Queen Moochelle present the award for Best Picture. My God, how much did the Obamas rake in from Hollywood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies