Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That is not the case in Canada. Although you could I guess go to another country and pay for healthcare. There is no system for paying doctors out -of -your pocket for essential services. For non-essential services, like having moles removed you would pay out-of-pocket.
Quite a few US hospitals have been marketing to Canadians looking to 'jump the line' for non urgent treatment such as knee replacements. What is shocking is that the prices they are offering are a fraction of the prices they would charge a US citizen.

We are getting ripped off and conservatives seem to be real comfortable with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm not claiming to be a moderator but I'm not going to get into these stupid back and forths that are off topic or include personal attacks, that's all I'm saying.

It's not my job to come up with a better system, it's that of our Congresspeople. You also cannot say that, say, the Europeans provide a better system of health care in any form. It's very different, but that does not mean it's better. The cost is probably not less, either, since their taxes are sky high over there. I'm not saying health care is the reason a lot of those countries are failing but obviously they are doing something wrong fiscally. A lot of people wait a very long time to get care, even for emergent issues, and many are allowed to die b/c they are not deemed a worthy expense due to gov't rules about who can have care (sort of like the death panels that are always joked about). That is not the kind of country I want to live in. They have no control over their health care whatsoever.

Where are you getting your info from because you are so misinformed. Very few wait a long time and no one is allowed to die because they are not deemed worthy

Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Quite a few US hospitals have been marketing to Canadians looking to 'jump the line' for non urgent treatment such as knee replacements. What is shocking is that the prices they are offering are a fraction of the prices they would charge a US citizen.

We are getting ripped off and conservatives seem to be real comfortable with that.
Do you have a source for that? The Canadians being offered lower prices I mean. I don't believe it.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Do you have a source for that? The Canadians being offered lower prices I mean. I don't believe it.
I couldn't find the article where I read it but this link references it:

http://healthblog.ncpa.org/making-sense/

North American Surgery has negotiated deep discounts with about two dozen surgery centers, hospitals and clinics across the United States, mainly for Canadians who are unable to get timely care in their own country. The company’s “cash” price for a knee replacement in the United States is $16,000 to $19,000, depending on the facility a patient chooses. - See more at: http://healthblog.ncpa.org/making-se....7oYWwvMI.dpuf

Old 03-02-2013, 11:16 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
That is not the case in Canada. Although you could I guess go to another country and pay for healthcare. There is no system for paying doctors out -of -your pocket for essential services. For non-essential services, like having moles removed you would pay out-of-pocket.
On the contrary, I've had moles, cysts and warts removed at no direct cost to me, but bear in mind that each province runs their own health care system and there are differences.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I couldn't find the article where I read it but this link references it:

http://healthblog.ncpa.org/making-sense/

North American Surgery has negotiated deep discounts with about two dozen surgery centers, hospitals and clinics across the United States, mainly for Canadians who are unable to get timely care in their own country. The company’s “cash” price for a knee replacement in the United States is $16,000 to $19,000, depending on the facility a patient chooses. - See more at: http://healthblog.ncpa.org/making-se....7oYWwvMI.dpuf

I did go and read the article and here is the full write-up.

"North American Surgery" has negotiated deep discounts with about two dozen surgery centers, hospitals and clinics across the United States, mainly for Canadians who are unable to get timely care in their own country. The company’s “cash” price for a knee replacement in the United States is $16,000 to $19,000, depending on the facility a patient chooses.

But, and this is what is interesting, the same economic principles that apply to the foreign patient who is willing to travel to the U.S. for surgery also apply to any patient who is willing to travel. That includes U.S. citizens. In other words, you don’t have to be a Canadian to take advantage of North American Surgery’s ability to obtain low-cost package prices. Everyone can do it."

- See more at: http://healthblog.ncpa.org/making-se....DhbdWfbg.dpuf

Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I did go and read the article and here is the full write-up.

"North American Surgery" has negotiated deep discounts with about two dozen surgery centers, hospitals and clinics across the United States, mainly for Canadians who are unable to get timely care in their own country. The company’s “cash” price for a knee replacement in the United States is $16,000 to $19,000, depending on the facility a patient chooses.

But, and this is what is interesting, the same economic principles that apply to the foreign patient who is willing to travel to the U.S. for surgery also apply to any patient who is willing to travel. That includes U.S. citizens. In other words, you don’t have to be a Canadian to take advantage of North American Surgery’s ability to obtain low-cost package prices. Everyone can do it."

- See more at: http://healthblog.ncpa.org/making-se....DhbdWfbg.dpuf
Yes, I read that.

But would your insurance company play ball or does it only apply to cash customers?

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I have read many of Mircea's lectures thank you. Length does not equal right.
Isn't that the truth!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
On the contrary, I've had moles, cysts and warts removed at no direct cost to me, but bear in mind that each province runs their own health care system and there are differences.
In Ontario it depends on the dermatologist you visit. They are free to charge for mole removal unless they think there is reason to think it is cancer. Sometimes just to be nice they will remove a few for free with the spray technique. But if you want it removed with a scalpel and it gives no evidence from a visual inspection that it might be cancerous, they will charge you.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, I read that.

But would your insurance company play ball or does it only apply to cash customers?
From what I can tell, it is a strictly cash option. That is how they can afford to offer it cheaper, I guess. They don't have to go through all the administrative paperwork that adds to the cost when they deal with insurance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies