Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I agree with virtually everything you've said and while I am a Republican I do not agree with the party's stance on gay rights. However, there actually is evidence that same-sex parent households are detrimental to children in the sense that they aren't as healthy an environment on average as households with opposite sex parents.
Wrong.

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

In summary, social science has shown that the concerns often raised about children of lesbian and gay parents—concerns that are generally grounded in prejudice against and stereotypes about gay people—are unfounded. Overall, the research indicates that the children of lesbian and gay parents do not differ markedly from the children of heterosexual parents in their development, adjustment, or overall well-being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
This is one of the issues I stand on the oppsosite side of Republicans (I'd say I lean right, but pretty much hate both "sides")

Get with the times. Why continue to oppose it? What's so hard about letting same sex couples marry? It will probably end in a divorce anyway.
Actually, in countries where same-sex marriage is legal, gays divorce far less often than straights.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
More than 75 current and former GOP elected officials
Amoung those is RNC Chair Ken Mehlman, former California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman, former U.S. Deputy Atty General Jim Comey, Mary Cheney, Senior Romney Adviser in Iowa Dave Kochel, Reps Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) and Richard Hanna (R-NY), and Bush National Security Advisor Steven Hadley.[LEFT]
The brief they backed is
no credible social science behind the arguments pushed by Prop 8's proponents:
De-institutionalization: No credible evidence supports the deinstitutionalization theory.
Biology: There is also no biological justification for denying civil marriage to same-sex couples.
Child Welfare: If there were persuasive evidence that same-sex marriage was detrimental to children.

[LEFT]
DOMA and California's Prop 8 are designed to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians and reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples.
This cannot pass strict scrutiny under the United States Constitution.

America needs to accept and embrace gay and lesbian lifestyles as part of the diverse landscape that enriches our lives. Consider the opportunities we have lost because certain relationships have had to hide because of a false shame and misguided condemnation by society.
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
America doesn't HAVE to accept or embrace anything. You have your viewpoints and there are other people who are against them. Our country was founded on the premise I'm entitled to my opinion, as much as you are entilted to yours.

When you try to FORCE people to "think" your way, its when people are going to turn against you and fight against you. While I am personally against gay marriage, I don't really care if its legalized or not. At the sametime, when you want me to "embrace" something I'm against, you are opening the door for problems.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:02 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
America doesn't HAVE to accept or embrace anything.
Tolerate, perhaps?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
If SCOTUS deems it to be unconstitutional so be it. The people had a voice.

I deem this court to be much more balanced and maintain a more narrow view of law unlike the disastrous Roe v. Wade decision that was a horrible miscarriage of the Justices power.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
The Constitution never had any intent to define what marriage is, or who can or can not marry. IMO the SCOTUS will have a 6-3 ruling on prop 8.

Kudos to those who have found the courage to stand up and do what is right despite the criticism they will likely receive from those who still live in darkness.

Once you come to accept the conclusion that people are born already programmed with their sexual orientation, everything else falls into place. We need to quit lying to ourselves, accept the truth, and move on.

DOMA and California's Prop 8 are designed to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians and reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples. This cannot pass strict scrutiny under the United States Constitution.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Tolerate, perhaps?
I have no problem with tolerate. I've openly stated on here my best friend is a lesbian (by the way she is against gay marriage too). As I said, if gay marriage is legalized, more power to them. I have no dog in this fight and could really care less. I took offense to the fact someone wanted to force me to "embrace" something I don't want to embrace.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Screw the politicians, THE PEOPLE voted and approved it.....

It's about time politicians and other gaggles recognize this is the United States of America and the majority rules....

Or people need to recognize that this is America,a nd the majority has no right to vote on minority rights and privileges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies