Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,922,903 times

Advertisements

Two things i've never heard of a FS ballance in the thousands, I aslo thought FS amounts didnt role over.

It would be intersting to see what the Representitive finds.

One thing I thought odd is that the the reciept read FS not EBT ballance. could people be using an EBT card with a higher account and does roll over? And the store's register prints FS ballance instead of EBT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,922,903 times
seems Texaqs put both Food stamps and TANF on the same card and the amount does rol over month to month.

Quote:
What can I buy with my Lone Star Card?

If you get food benefits:

You can buy food, seeds and plants at stores approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The seeds and plants are used to grow food for your household to eat.

You cannot use food benefits to buy:

○ Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco;

○ Any non-food items (For example, pet foods, soaps, paper

products, and household supplies);

○ Vitamins and medicines;

○ Food that will be eaten in the store;

○ Hot foods.

To learn more, click on the FNS logo:

If you get TANF benefits:

You can buy only goods and services your family needs at places that accept the Lone Star Card.
You may make purchases or take out cash from your account to buy any items you need, such as:

○ Food

○ Clothes

○ Rent or Mortgage

○ Utilities (gas, water, electricity, etc.)

○ Furniture

○ Transportation (bus passes, gas, etc.)

○ Phone

○ Laundry

○ Equipment and supplies for the house (toilet paper, cleaning

supplies, etc.)

Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 PM

10,263 posts, read 12,479,033 times
70 percent of counties with the fastest growth in food-stamp aid during the last four years voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 2008

Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,090,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Welfare recipients should be limited to a very small and select group of food. Obama and his administration are bigger crooks than the thieves on the street. When will this come to an end?
Here's my opinion. And I say this with very close friends on public assistance, former co-workers on public assistance, and working alongside people on public assistance.

Public assistance is truly a case by case basis. In one case. Both parents work full time jobs and still don't have enough to feed their 2 kids. The only jobs available to them currently are two separate shifts. They both work hard but legitimately don't make ends meet.

Another case one parent just doesn't want to work and games the system for a semi-decent lifestyle.

In either case, the lower class or lower middle class worker gets screwed. The middle class still has a better lifestyle (in general). The upper middle class and wealthy have much better lifestyles (in general). But the lower class or lower middle class worker who does not get assistance gets an equal or worse lifestyle because of the lack of subsidies.

I'm for the betterment of our lower income earners. I do support welfare reform however. I think assistance should still be offered, but should always be intended to return that person to employment. We need a stronger workforce, not more people on assistance who can work.

I have a couple of suggestions which might help. Just my opinion. First the job market has to improve. But if it does, here's a suggestion.

Allow time limits on public assistance and after that time limit a low paying, non-skilled job is assigned to the person. We could work to improve our country's infastructure through these jobs and we could discourage those who can truly do better, from gaming the benefits system. Employers would get better employee candidates (people looking for ways off the government work program), and those who wanted to work would get a job. If we improved our economy from the bottom up, it wouldn't be an issue working a low paying job (like in the past). Entertainment and saving would be affordable and you could live a good lifestyle.

For that to happen inflation would have to be halted and wages would have to increase (not through policy IMO, but through profits). If the American people had more backbone and willingness to work together it could happen.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM

33,511 posts, read 37,034,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is too common a story to have any credibility. I put it down with all the other welfare legends.

If all you RWNJ think living on welfare and eating off food stamps is so great why don't you sell all of your assets, cash out your bank accounts, sell your new cars and move out of your classy neighborhoods and join the poor in their ghettos and enjoy the good life.

You are far too sensible to do that but you still believe being poor is so great because it makes you feel so superior. Get real you delusional fools. Being poor is a real PIA.
Since the link is to the blaze I too am skeptical.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,070,039 times
Why is it that liberals absolutely refuse to believe that food stamp fraud, waste, and abuse is widespread?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,268,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Two things i've never heard of a FS ballance in the thousands, I aslo thought FS amounts didnt role over.

It would be intersting to see what the Representitive finds.

One thing I thought odd is that the the reciept read FS not EBT ballance. could people be using an EBT card with a higher account and does roll over? And the store's register prints FS ballance instead of EBT?
The Lone Star card in Texas is used for TANF and Food Stamps.
The balance carries over. It's not "use it or lose it".

A person could be on welfare/food stamps and not use it and accumulate that kind of money over time.

The USDA has guidelines that if you use SNAP the receipt shows your SNAP purchase and your SNAP balance.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM

19,459 posts, read 12,092,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
70 percent of counties with the fastest growth in food-stamp aid during the last four years voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 2008
It doesn't even matter anymore, this is a character issue and people with poor ethics and values are everywhere.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,090,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why is it that liberals absolutely refuse to believe that food stamp fraud, waste, and abuse is widespread?
My opinion is this.

As Americans, in general, we are all wasteful with our spending and consumption. Rich, poor, black, white, and everything in between. Yes we need welfare reform but we also need Wall Street reform and Corporate reform. We need to be a more efficient society as a whole.

Welfare is one of those things that is needed imo. I've been hungry before and it is no joke. If you think people will starve to death in modern day America you've got another thing coming.

What we need to do is re-focus on our economy and look at innovative ways that we can increase the amount of jobs available. Right now there's not even enough jobs available to point fingers. Anytime I've looked for additional help I've had lots of responses. I'm not offering very high wages either.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM

545 posts, read 399,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post

you got a link to back that up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies