Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
There is a saying, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. HOWEVER, making kids in school dress up like that is stupid. I bet if a teacher had their kids dress as American soldiers or law enforcement officers, that teacher would be fired.
Then i say that kids not be allowed to dress as two of the three wise men durring the christmas pagent since two of the kings were muslim. i think. Well to be sure, no wise men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Then i say that kids not be allowed to dress as two of the three wise men durring the christmas pagent since two of the kings were muslim. i think. Well to be sure, no wise men.
There weren't any muslims during the time of the birth of Christ. That would have been about 6 centuries later.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
There is a saying, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. HOWEVER, making kids in school dress up like that is stupid. I bet if a teacher had their kids dress as American soldiers or law enforcement officers, that teacher would be fired.
So traditional Muslim garb is equal to military uniforms?? You really have a jaded perception of Muslims.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
You can dress like a terrorist for school but don't you dare pretend your finger is a gun.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
My brother just made a quip that had me ROFLOL. There was an incident locally where someone burglarized a mosque and stole a one hundred pound floor safe after prying it up out of the floor. It was caught on tape and the thief removed his shoes before entering which led some to believe it was an inside job and probably was someone who attends services there.
Anyway, my brother said " I'd never go into a mosque to try to steal something. I'd be afraid I'd be attacked by DEMONS."

Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
My brother just made a quip that had me ROFLOL. There was an incident locally where someone burglarized a mosque and stole a one hundred pound floor safe after prying it up out of the floor. It was caught on tape and the thief removed his shoes before entering which led some to believe it was an inside job and probably was someone who attends services there.
Anyway, my brother said " I'd never go into a mosque to try to steal something. I'd be afraid I'd be attacked by DEMONS."
i think the theif removing his shoes is way funnier than the demon thing...just my opinion, your bro might be really funny.

Maybe the moral of the story is sc*** with man, but dont f*** with god.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
So let me get this straight, it's no longer ok in schools to look at things from opposing sides? To write a paper in which you have to take a side that opposes your personal views? When I was in school, that was always one of the best ways to teach students critical thinking.
Really ? So did you replay WWII with students siding with Hitler and the Gestapo ?
Or maybe being Castro and replay the Bay of Pigs ?

Wasn't that way when I went to school. The bad guys in history were always the bad guys.
We didn't take the opposing side.

This wasn't a paper though.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If they are going that far, why don't they give them cute, sparkly little homicide vests to put on? Oh, and maybe beat the couple of girls who don't have their entire faces covered. I mean, if we're going to study a culture that embraces terrorism, do it accurately.
Chop off a few hands and curse out Americans while burning the US flag in the parking lot.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Really ? So did you replay WWII with students siding with Hitler and the Gestapo ?

Wasn't that way when I went to school. The bad guys in history were always the bad guys.

Not according to President Reagan, who called them freedom fighters.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Who are the bad guys? This was a lesson in a world geography class regarding the middle east and muslim world. Not everyone in the Middle East is a bad guy. The students were then given a writing assignment described as follows: “how Egypt was a good country until democracy took over, and that things were finally corrected when the Muslim Brotherhood came into power.” Which is exactly what I was talking about... have the kids do an assignment in which they have to support a viewpoint that goes against their personal views... its a lesson in critical thinking. And lets be honest, there are always two sides to a story... while the winner generally records the history, the division between good and bad guys is often blurred.

As an example, when I was in school, we had an assignment in government class in which our teacher asked us to first write down whether we believed a preemptive nuclear strike is ever justified. The kids that wrote yes, were then instructed to write a paper on why it is never justified... while the kids who wrote no did the opposite. Again, critical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies