Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,684,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
You cannot predict the future for a man and woman if they will have kids. You can very easily for 2 women and especially 2 men.
Well unlike you I don't believe that the sole purpose of marriage is reproduction. There are people who have no intention of every having children, and they still have to right to get married. duh.

3,168 posts, read 2,070,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Again,

First you're talking about the historical institution of marriage, which I pretty much displayed isn't what you think it was, and even if it was, they did a lot of other things as related to marriage that we shouldn't do today, because we realize its morally wrong.

Then you talk about Romans, which I talk about them killing wives who committed infidelity but the husbands were fine to screw around, displaying your lack of historical knowledge again.

Now you're back to the "I'm right, and you're wrong" thing. Its not about what you think is right, its about do you have the right to tell other people they can or can't do something legally.

Personally, I think the state shouldn't ackowledge any marriage, the state should see every person from 18 years on, as on equal footing. But since they do give benefits to those that are married, it is immoral, against freedom, and just plain stupid to prevent loving male/male or female/female or male/female/male, whatever from marrying, if they are consenting adults.
Yes, I'm talking about the historical institution of marriage. Marriage back in the Roman times means exactly the same today. Rules about adultry, if you can kill an adulterous spouse, etc are laws we added to this country, but the institution of marriage is very much the same.

Like I said, an institution doesn't need to open their doors to everyone. As an institution it's going to have specific rules for who can get in. Now why should we extend it to Homosexuals, what do we get from it?

23,655 posts, read 17,581,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
By this logic it's also amoral for menopausal women, sterile women and men and people who just plain don't want children to engage in sexual activity.
Marriage IS only for the benefit of children. Why do people who don't want children get married anyway or even have sex which makes children? Sterile people can still adopt and be a good example for the children. A father and a mother. Every child deserves both in the home to raise them. Every child deserves a mother and a father not every adult deserves to have a child.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM

353 posts, read 396,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
It may not be natural for you...but I can assure you that as a gay man it is natural for me.
Well, there are some who think it's natural to have sex with children, animals, and everything else under the sun.

Should society accept, "it may not be natural for you...but I can assure you that [it] is natural for me" from pedophiles and the like?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM

4,812 posts, read 3,334,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It hasn't come. A couple states recognize it. The vast majority don't. In my life time I expect to see a few more states to recognize. That's it, it will never come at a federal level in my or your life time.
So you really believe the SCOTUS will uphold DOMA when it comes up in the next few months. Just about every legal expert I have read says it is a no-brainier to be struck down.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well unlike you I don't believe that the sole purpose of marriage is reproduction. There are people who have no intention of every having children, and they still have to right to get married. duh.
There are people who misuse everything. It's no different than the people who misuse food stamps.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM

77 posts, read 82,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I don't either, but I understand the larger ramifications of normalizing homosexuality. Examine ancient Greece and Rome.
Or you could examine Massachusetts (and Connecticut and Iowa & Vermont, etc.) on the crazy idea that the best real-world examples of how gay marriage will affect 21st century America is to look at where it is legal in 21st century America, not where it was legal thousands of years ago in a completely different bronze-age society.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM

47,085 posts, read 26,202,844 times
Quote:
But what if there was a special civil union created for gays which gave them all of the rights that heterosexual married couples currently receive, would gays be open to civil unions, with all of the benefits of marriage w/out the actual marriage label?
I don't see why they should. And if they went without the "label", as you call it, people would rationalize all sorts of discrimination based on the fact that it "wasn't a marriage". In other words, I don't believe for a second that people would afford civil unions the same rights as marriage in practice.

Quote:
My point is, both ancient Greece and Rome became plagued with massive homosexuality and the society's moral fabric reached an all time low. Obviously there were plenty of other elements which accounted for their ultimate collapse, but it's very well documented that homosexuality was rampant in both of these societies during the period of their decline
It was rampant at their apex as well. There's just no cause and effect, there. If anyone tries to tell you that, they're simply full of it. If you want to see a major difference between Rome in her prime and Rome as she decayed, here's one: The introduction of monotheism.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,072,321 times
Quote:
I don't believe most homosexuals are interested in marriage. I think most would like their sexual activities to be normalized, and they believe that once they get the ability to marry in all states, this will in essence make the act of men sleeping with men, and women sleeping with women normal.

I don't believe homosexual partnerships should ever receive the "married" label, but again, I do believe that if two men and two women want to ensure that the person that they care about receives their pension, social security benefits (and everything else), they should be allowed to...
Do you know "most homosexuals", if not how do you know what we want?

Why are you so hung up on "normal"?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'd bet money you are wrong, unless you are near death or something.
How do we bet in a way for me to win (I can only collect when we both die ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies