Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestak View Post
So naturally, you oppose extending the monogamy-supporting institution of marriage to gays.

Makes perfect sense...
Go figure, right?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I believe that immoral activity should be shunned, not accepted. Homosexuality is wrong.
I believe that bigotry should be shunned, not accepted. Bigotry is wrong.

Quote:
When Obama endorsed gay marriage, he lost my vote and all of my support.
Hahaha......

Do you really think that anyone believes he had your support (or your vote) before he endorsed marriage equality?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM

554 posts, read 608,693 times
Quote:
I've often wondered why there is such a push (recently) for Same Sex Marriage. Some homosexuals who are interested in marriage, argue that their civil rights are violated, due to the fact that they presently can't marry in certain states, while others have expressed concern over not being able to inherit pensions, Social Security benefits, etc. from their long-term partners.

I doubt that this is the real issue. I think the real agenda is to normalize homosexual activity. I've noticed that many movies and tv programs often feature at least one gay person (despite the fact that according to recent studies, less than 4% of the entire American population is gay). Even when one considers that there may be some people outside of that 4% who also engage in homosexual activities, the total percentage of persons who engage in homosexuality probably account for less than 5% of the American population.

From a moral standpoint, I'm against homosexuality. I do not believe that it was intended for men to sleep with other men, or women to sleep with other women. If it was intended to be this way, why can't two people of the same gender reproduce? In essence, no life form can ever develop from these unions.

I really wish that gay people would be more straightforward about this issue. Also, I wish that people were wise enough to acknowledge that homosexuals should be given rights to inherit their partners pension, Social security benefits (etc), but the partnership should only be recognized as a "Civil Union" and not a marriage.

I think more people would be supportive, if gays agreed to the civil partnerships (with all of the marriage perks) without trying to redefine marriage. What are your thoughts?
Why should anyone be bound by your personal moral vision ? We live in a country governed by the Constitution, not the bible.

Why does it matter that gay couples cannot reproduce ? Many hetero couples choose not to have children.

What business is it of yours who marries whom ? Such marriages do not affect you one bit (except to offend your moral universe, which, as noted, does not bind anyone else).

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
I would never discriminate against homosexuals, I just don't believe that men sleeping with men and women sleeping with women is a natural thing to do.
Then who are you to decide for someone who he or she should naturally sleep with? If you're a right handed person who falls in love with a left handed person, do you need someone to tell you, if that's normal and natural or not?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I knew someone would bring this up. The problem with your comment is, women in their natural healthy state can reproduce, with men in their natural healthy state.

However, men in their natural healthy state, can never reproduce with other men in their natural healthy state, just as women in their natural healthy state, can never reproduce with other women in their natural healthy state.

So, if there's ever a preponderance of homosexual activity, the human race will cease to exist, because homosexuals can never naturally produce children. Does this seem normal to you?
So tell me, do you think that what you advocate, civil unions is going to stop gays from having sex? That seems to be your sticking point, the "icky sex", the reproduction issues as well...I have news for you allowing them to marry will almost guarantee that like heterosexual couples they will have less sex....Therefore you homophobes that use that argument should be in favor of same sex marriages...Yes I said marriages, not civil unions...Separate but equal is a myth...It did not work for the races, and it will not work here either.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I'm all about freedom but I don't have freedom into someone elses club or house. Just as homosexuals don't have the freedom to go into the marriage institution. If we extend them the definition, it's because of our good will not because we were violating their civil rights. I'm not violating anyone's civil rights by telling them they don't have entry into my house and it's my goodwill to allow them in.
Then should homosexuals please you by taking advantage of their right to marriage by marrying a heterosexual or a homosexual of the opposite sex?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
The only reason these discussions recur is because those opposed to gay marriage genuinely don't believe people are born gay. If they did believe the truth, they would realize that just by a quirk they are not being discriminated against because of their orientation.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It really doesn't matter morally or what you think nature intended. If there is no good reason for laws to apply to people getting married then none of this is will be an issue. You won't have to like or accept it, the same way you don't like or accept anything. I'll keep saying it until everyone gets it.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
I tried marrying outside of my orientation. Shattered my life, her life, my girls' lives, two families. If I had been raised in a society that accepted sometimes a man loves a man and a woman loves a woman, I'd have had a decent chance at a happy marriage. Instead, I did what some of y'all are saying we homosexual people should do. It made things worse for everyone involved. Stop trying to destroy marriage.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Any support whatsoever, for this "assessment"?
Just look to your neighbor north of you...Same sex marriage nation wide since 2005 and it is no longer an issue here...Our families have not collapsed, the nation is healthy, people are still having kids, and the sun is shining brighter than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies