Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times

Advertisements

Friedman was a saint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
Heiferdust! All unbridled capitalism does is empower the rich at the expense of everyone else.
When have you ever seen pure unbridled capitalism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Unbridled capitalism will naturally morph into corporatism.

We can see that happening right now.

Bank bailouts is a good example.
We don't have a competitive market and haven't for a long, long, long, time. When government gets too big it is easier for large corporations to exist because they can gain special favors from politicians.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM

717 posts, read 648,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Are you being sarcastic?

How does someone get empowered at the expense of everyone else in unbridled capitalism exactly?

The very notion of that happening is absurd.

Ever been to a flea market? That's unbridled capitalism.

Either you're joking or you don't know how to distinguish between capitalism and corporatism.
Capitalism will ALWAYS favour those who HAVE money at the expense of those who do not. It is inevitable.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Friedman was a saint.
a saint for the rich perhaps, but how about for those he dispossessed?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
so how do you figure that the illegal coup performed by Pinochet was an improvement?

Pinochet was a fascist murderer and torturer.

and yet again, you seem to forget that Allende was democratically elected in 1970.
And as it was pointed out to you, Friedman was extremely opposed to Pinochet...Can you actually reply to my points about China, or are you conveniently ignoring every post you cannot find a good response to? Can you also stop using the deaths of innocent people in Chile as a weapon to make a political point? It is extremely insulting, and shows a lot about the lack of morality of your character.

Quote:
Heiferdust! All unbridled capitalism does is empower the rich at the expense of everyone else.
Bulls**t. Personally, I put myself through undergrad and grad school, worked 75 hours/week on a 40 hour/week salary without being asked to, and after three years of putting in that extra effort, I was rewarded and got myself a six figure salary while being less than 30 years old. THAT is what capitalism does. It empowers those who want to step out and make something of their lives, and it punished the people who are too lazy or complacent to try harder. The vast majority of those who are wealthy get there by nothing but pure hard work.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM

I worked for years often pulling in 90-100 hour weeks. You know what I have to show for it? Nothing! You are attempting to equate luck with capitalism, they are not and never have been synonymous. Please do some damn research, the vast majority of the wealthy start out wealthy.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I worked for years often pulling in 90-100 hour weeks. You know what I have to show for it? Nothing! You are attempting to equate luck with capitalism, they are not and never have been synonymous. Please do some damn research, the vast majority of the wealthy start out wealthy.
Maybe you need to do your own research. Only 11% of the wealth of current Millionaires in the United States is inherited. Don't blame a system for personal failure. If you try hard and have nothing to show for it, keep trying. Starbucks was rejected by over 240 banks before getting the loan to open up shop. Where would the 149,000 employees of the chain be if the founders had your kind of defeatist attitude?

Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 AM

You know nothing about me and my attitudes. You are still equating your luck with the way the capitalist system works. They are NOT synonymous. Some folk work damn hard their entire lives and get sweet fanny-adams for it. But don't let that stop you from dissing them, now will you?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
You know nothing about me and my attitudes. You are still equating your luck with the way the capitalist system works. They are NOT synonymous. Some folk work damn hard their entire lives and get sweet fanny-adams for it. But don't let that stop you from dissing them, now will you?
Life isn't fair. We should promise equality of opportunity to people, NOT equality of outcomes. And yes, if you are younger than 70 years old and haven't accomplished your goals, then you haven't tried hard enough. Hell, Harland Sanders was 65 years old when he started KFC.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:27 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Can you imagine anything worse?
Yes you being able to have offspring.

Quote:
The two uber bigots of the 20th century getting it together and producing offspring.

Would that be the ultimate abomination?
No but giving your posts credibility would qualify

keep trolling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies