Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times

Advertisements

At a time it was defined as a white man and white woman..... so on and so forth..... i'm happy for laws that evolve to support the rights of individuals to make their own decisions about their own life and that of the partner they choose to love.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The question is how is marriage defined? If it's defined as between a man and a woman, then it's true that we're re-defining what it essentially is.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It is silly.

But the ramifications of a stupid/silly law that could enable this kind of abomination to happen are not silly at all.
What abomination are you talking about?

Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
And there's the rub. They want legitimization in the context of religion and it's felt as if they are forcing their way, under the guise of "equality and rights".

It hardly matters though because it's built into nature's fabric that homosexuality is a dead end. Unless, and I've asked this before, is homosexuality nature's way of getting rid of undesirable genes?
Religion?
Where do you get that?
Equality is equality.
Either you believe all people are equal or you do not.
Are you the arbiter of who is and who isn't equal to others?
Who made you the arbiter?
What specific skills do you have to be in that role?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
When I conduct a marriage in the church, I do so on behalf of the government. Marriage in itself is not a religious function today. Once I conduct the state portion of the marriage (set words that have to be said), then I get into the church part of the service - the blessing.

Please don't confuse marriage with the church. A marriage conducted in someone's barn (I did that) is just as valid in the eyes of the law as a marriage conducted in a sanctuary. I can do an atheist wedding, just as valid as a Christian wedding... all that differs is the blessing conferred.
When they want to dissolve a marriage contract they go to the state, not to a church.
That's the bottom line.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
God gave Eve to Adam, not more than one woman. Marriage is for a man and a woman.
Got any proof of a god thingie?
Anything at all.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,344,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There seem to be a lot of people who are vehemently for or against it, but I'm wondering how many people basically see gay marriage as a joke, or something funny? I know this would be deeply offensive to many gay people, but it reminds me of how children view it. I remember a movie or TV show when they're explaining to the little girl about homosexuality and she thinks it's 'just silly.'

While I don't take it all as a joke, at times I admit I do see it in a lighter way. I mean who cares if they want to marry, but I admit, when people make jokes about two grooms or something it can be kind of amusing.

I'm just wondering if a large majority of people see it this way.
How many jokes are there about straight marriage? The old ball and chain? The stupid husband? Etc.

Its a joke people, don't take it to seriously. I support gay marriage, but I will crack jokes about it and all marriage. Friend of ours is getting married this April, and the theme is cowboy boots. So many jokes to be made.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Marriage is defined however the law chooses to define it based on a changing society. There is no universal concrete definition. It means different things to different people.
I've posted this in the two other anti-equal rights threads recently:

History of Marriage in Western Civilization
BBC News - Ten key moments in the history of marriage
http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...rriage-history
How marriage has changed over centuries - The Week
Same-sex unions aren't a recent invention. Until the 13th century, male-bonding ceremonies were common in churches across the Mediterranean. Apart from the couples' gender, these events were almost indistinguishable from other marriages of the era. Twelfth-century liturgies for same-sex unions — also known as "spiritual brotherhoods" — included the recital of marriage prayers, the joining of hands at the altar, and a ceremonial kiss.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,355,673 times
The ignorance, stupidity and prejudice in this thread is a joke. A sad one.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,629,098 times
This is one of those topics where those who don’t take the notion of so-called homosexual “marriage” seriously get bullied by the militant homosexual activists via name calling and other misapplied, inaccurate, ignorant labeling.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
This is one of those topics where those who don’t take the notion of so-called homosexual “marriage” seriously get bullied by the militant homosexual activists via name calling and other misapplied, inaccurate, ignorant labeling.
Oh so you don't like people calling you out on your opinion? Would you like us to tell you that you are right and that you make total sense that gays and lesbians shouldn't be allowed to get married? Sorry, but that is never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.