Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's because the war provides many thousands of people with job, something that welfare isn't so good at. Like Republicans say, "Ever get a job from a poor person?"

THAT money should have been used to come up with alternative ENERGY SOURCES to end the dependence on other countries to fullfill energy needs. This would have created LOTS of jobs and it would have been something positive, what did Iraq accomplish? Other than make defense companies rich? Wonder how many millions Cheney and Co. made...

Old 10-24-2007, 04:02 PM

294 posts, read 437,491 times
where does anybody think cheney is making money from this...show some evidence.

secondly find another company that could do what halibirton did

Old 10-24-2007, 04:04 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
What about finding some evidence to refute the claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie94 View Post

Old 10-24-2007, 04:09 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,292 times
Quote:

What did they do, exactly?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM

what dont they do? kind of hard to write everything in such the wide range that they do or the fact they have the infastructure to do it.

some of the few things just off the top of my head

1. food and everything logistical about it
2. fuel and everything logistic about it
3. base support logistically
4. security

these things are huge..i mean HUGE undertakings

Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,292 times
Quote:
what dont they do? kind of hard to write everything in such the wide range that they do or the fact they have the infastructure to do it.

some of the few things just off the top of my head

1. food and everything logistical about it
2. fuel and everything logistic about it
3. base support logistically
4. security

these things are huge..i mean HUGE undertakings
sigh... so freakin off-topic here... but:
Halliburton Watch

Halliburton Watch

Memo: Halliburton didn’t purify GIs’ water - Conflict in Iraq - MSNBC.com

I'm sure you'll deny the truth of these articles, but whatever. It truly is a huge undertaking, and apparently one that's easy to jack up royally over and over and over again...

I've never actually met anyone that thought Halliburton did a decent job in any way for the troops, including my friends in the service... weird.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
so what should we have spent?? I sure dont claim to be an expert on how much it costs to run a war. do you?
So far, we haven't spent a dime on the war. It's all been financed via "deficit spending" which means the Chinese have been paying for it. Eventually we'll get to pay them back for their generous loan -- along with interest.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Let's get back to the topic, please.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
I've never actually met anyone that thought Halliburton did a decent job in any way for the troops, including my friends in the service... weird.
i did, and so did most of my 220 man infantry company

then again we lived without them for a majority of the time, so when we actually got to use there support it was quite nice...we werent spoiled like others i am still bitter at

lastly never said there wasnt problems with the company, but nobody else could do what they did

well back on topic

so the expense of the govt for a war that effects the greater good of the country is valid while shoveling money into welfare is not. its not about the poor working people and being disgusted with them, its about the attitude of some on what should happen with this countries money.

some people will just not ever have a close to lavish lifestyle and that alot of those people its there own doing. i have no pity for them anymore becasue i have been a poor person and clawed my way out of it

the military is really poor and you dont see them asking for handouts.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:24 PM

I just heard the Head of the Appropriations Committee in the House say that the Vietnam War cost the US about $128+/-billion compared to the numbers in the trillions being estimated now. He also he was thinking 'inflation' so the ratio is on the accurate side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
so what should we have spent?? I sure dont claim to be an expert on how much it costs to run a war. do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies