Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM

524 posts, read 400,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, that is simply not true. There are many places to invest money other than the stock market.

You can walk around a block, and jump into conclusions about the overall market, or you can look at the official data. You have chosen to walk around the block, which explains your comments.
Hey, did you check out the link I provided you to the Government Accountability Office? There are all kinds of reports and assessments, including analysis on the Housing Market. Let me know when you want to discuss it.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM

524 posts, read 400,336 times
Quote:
Someone is buying the condos, becuase the inventory is disappearing. Might be a good time a pick up a few and rent them out.
You crack me up! You put this chart up without a link! I bet you can help them out huh? Please, if you are going to respond with your mundane, nonsensical poor excuse for an argument to my posts, do not request others to provide proof when you are just mouthing off and provide no citations of your own.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
conservatives don't care about reality. conservatives don't arrive at their conclusions about public policy based on reality.

They work backwards, first they start out with the conclusion and judge the policy on the basis of it ends up with their conclusion.

So conservatives have already concluded that President Obama is bad for the economy.

This is the starting point for everything, any reality based information that corrects that view will be dismissed or explained away in their minds, because again, conservatives work backwards, they reach the conclusion, then interpret data or reality on the basis of if it confirms their conclusion.

This is how they can complain about the economy barely growing last quarter as proof that President Obama is bad for the economy, but completely ignore the reason the economy barely grew is because the government cut spending which goes against their other rock conclusion about government spending and the economy.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I thought housing derivatives were traded on the market, just like stocks.

Isn't that how it all crashed???
I believe it was only synthetic derivatives that traded in a market, which as the name implies weren't actually mortgage based derivatives, but were bets traders were placing on the success or failure of specific mortgage derivatives or other financial instruments. The goal, other than another way traders could make money, was to develop a market based measure of the riskiness of derivatives investments. With synthetic derivatives investors were not limited to the supply of actual mortgages.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
... and that there had been significant improvement in new housing construction.
That is only true if you're speaking of just the very recent past. If the biggest homebuilder in, say, Phoenix, or Tulsa, or Chicago, builds six new houses in a month, yes, that's an improvement over the same period last year when they only built two. But next month they might only build three. And those numbers are a drop in the bucket compared to what they were building prior to the recession; perhaps hundreds of houses a month.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
Hey, did you check out the link I provided you to the Government Accountability Office? There are all kinds of reports and assessments, including analysis on the Housing Market. Let me know when you want to discuss it.
Show me the stats proving South Florida housing market is currently inflated, and then we can discuss.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Well, that is simply not true. There are many places to invest money other than the stock market.

You can walk around a block, and jump into conclusions about the overall market, or you can look at the official data. You have chosen to walk around the block, which explains your comments.
Walk around any block and one will see foreclosures.So you think that 16000 forclosures in Orando is good and 5000 defaults on their mortgages bringing Orlando to 20,000 homes in trouble is fine..

The price has gone up because they are actually holding back shadow inventory to inflate value which is good .. but I will tell you, Bernanke is coloring the picture brighter to bring in new buyers. The mortgage rate of under 4% will tell you they are still trying to get people to buy.

It is a good time to buy in certain areas.Boomers can get a fantastic bargain today in Florida because the homes are still a great value. Many northerners are buying here and will continue to buy here. Getting a bargain on a home is one of the greatest purchases one can make . The value will always go up but the economy is still bringing in more foreclosures.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
[URL="http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/02/27/bernanke-housing-market-has-hit-bottom-is-recovering/"]Bernanke: Housing Market Has Hit Bottom, Is Recovering | Fox Business[/URL]

He said that house prices had crept up over the last year, and that there had been significant improvement in new housing construction.

Mr. Bernanke said the numbers of foreclosures, while still too high, are declining as were the number of homeowners who are underwater, a term meaning they owe more on their mortgages than their homes are now worth.

He said the continuing improvement in the housing market would have a positive impact on the employment picture, both by directly creating more jobs in home construction and factories that make home goods, and also indirectly by improving peoples' sense of wealth
Mr. Bernanke said....

And you believe him????? PT Barnum was right.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
People have no money to spend on houses. How can the housing market improve it prices remain the same or increase and wages do not increase??

People are looking at all these "indicators" in the market but forgetting the one "indicator" that matters. Wages are not increasing.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, the dow being up 200 points was also mentioned in the OP's opening post.
It isn't going into housing market, it isn't going into hiring new employees (not with the sword of Barry "Damaclese" Obama haning over thei heads of business), so where else would it go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies