Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Scalia Obscene Gestures Photos

Now, there's a man with a maturity level I can get behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So no one actually knows what the case is actually about I'll explain it. Maybe then people can at least understand what is happening before passing judgment.

The only part of VRA that is being challenged is section 5. The rest is not being challenged. Section 5 assigned certain states voters rules have to be pre approved by congress instead of the state making the decision, this was because of prejudice at the time against minority voting. So now the states have got their act together and no longer want to be under congress, like the rest of the states.
So they are challenging that the specific section 5 is unconstitutional because it creates different rules for different states.
From the Shelby County argument : SCOTUSblog
Here is the whole quote, because that is actually important
“This last enactment, not a single vote in the Senate against it. And the House is pretty much the same. Now, I don’t think that’s attributable to the fact that it is so much clearer now that we need this. I think it is attributable, very likely attributable, to a phenomenon that is called perpetuation of racial entitlement. It’s been written about. Whenever a society adopts racial entitlements, it is very difficult to get out of them through the normal political processes. I don’t think there is anything to be gained by any senator to vote against continuation of this act. And I am fairly confident it will be re-enacted in perpetuity unless — unless a court can say it does not comport with the Constitution. You have to show, when you are treating different states differently, that there’s a good reason for it. That’s the concern that those of us who have some questions about this statute have. It’s a concern that this is not the kind of a question you can leave to Congress
Even so, whenever someone calls it "entitlement", this basically will anger alot of people. I look at it different because of history. If Scalia had a problem with that particular part, he should have said that particular part, not refer to the whole thing.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
There has to be something in the Patriot Act that could be used to detain the man indefinitely.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
There has to be something in the Patriot Act that could be used to detain the man indefinitely.
What exactly are you saying?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
There should be some national standards for voting but other than that, forcing a handful of states to report any change of policies to the Fed is unnecessary. I'm not sure if it's "unconstitutional" but unnecessary.

Exactly. The old DEMOCRATIC SOUTH will not "rise again".

Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
He is a justice of MY Supreme Court.
"Your" Supreme Court? Last time I checked, "You" personally do not have a Supreme Court. It is the Supreme Court for the whole nation.

Considering what you said, this is my question.

1) What exactly were you trying to say when you made that comment?
2) What is YOUR agenda?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Scalia demonstrates right wing politics at its best.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The Voting Rights Act is a "perpetuation of Racial Entitlement"? This is a Justice of our Supreme Court?
His extremist views aren't revelations. He's been up front in expressing them for a very long time now and he lacks the integrity and temperment to be on the nation's highest court.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
he lacks the integrity and temperment to be on the nation's highest court.
I agree. There's nothing anyone can do about his temperament, but the question of his integrity really ought to be placed under much closer scrutiny.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Hilarious, as usual the Lefties have no idea what is even going on and what was even said. All they do is run with whatever they were told to run with. You people are the bottom feeders of the critical thinking barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies