Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The student offered to recite the American pledge in Spanish, and was turned down.

The issue is the content, not the language.
You can't pick and choose your homework assignments. I'm going to take a class in biology and do my paper on chemistry. How dare the teacher flunk me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
How freakin sad is this. We as an American nation are doomed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

A Texas high school student has filed a federal lawsuit against her school and her teachers after she was punished for refusing to salute and recite the Mexican pledge of allegiance.

The Thomas More Law Center filed the suit on behalf of Brenda Brinsdon alleging the McAllen Independent School District violated the 15-year-old girl’s constitutional rights when she was forced to recite the Mexican pledge and sing the Mexican national anthem.

American Student Punished for Refusing to Recite Mexican Pledge | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes
And just think at this time right now back in 1836 the American's started defending the Alamo against Mexican forces.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
You can't pick and choose your homework assignments. I'm going to take a class in biology and do my paper on chemistry. How dare the teacher flunk me.
Once again, you choose to use an irrelevant analogy.

The proper analogy for this set of circumstances would be the student reciting something in Russian, in a Spanish class.

The Mexican pledge is not neccesary to learn Spanish. I took 4 years of Spanish, can read it reasonably well, and speak it when neccesary.

I never had to recite the Mexican pledge.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Good bye sweet America

Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Once again, you choose to use an irrelevant analogy.

The proper analogy for this set of circumstances would be the student reciting something in Russian, in a Spanish class.

The Mexican pledge is not neccesary to learn Spanish. I took 4 years of Spanish, can read it reasonably well, and speak it when neccesary.

I never had to recite the Mexican pledge.
No particular book is necessary to learn Spanish. If your Spanish teacher tells you to read Pablo Neruda but you decide to read Octavio Paz you deserve to fail.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
No particular book is necessary to learn Spanish. If your Spanish teacher tells you to read Pablo Neruda but you decide to read Octavio Paz you deserve to fail.
OK. for the sake of argument I will grant that you are right.

Now tell me what motive the teacher could have for compelling the students to recite the Mexican pledge in a school where the students cannot be compelled to recite the American pledge, if as you say no particular book(or by extension - passage) is neccesary to learn Spanish?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
OK. for the sake of argument I will grant that you are right.

Now tell me what motive the teacher could have for compelling the students to recite the Mexican pledge in a school where the students cannot be compelled to recite the American pledge, if as you say no particular book(or by extension - passage) is neccesary to learn Spanish?
I know nothing about the teacher, nothing, so it's foolish to assign motives to people I know nothing about. Give me some background info and I might be able to guess.

If you take an English class and the teacher tells you to recite a Shakespeare poem, you can't decide to recite Edgar Allen Poe. What kind of crap is that?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
The difference is Mexico is just one country that speaks Spanish. When I took Spanish in high school and college I never had to recite COUNTRY LOYALTY to another country. I did have to write a paper on the Spanish speaking country of my choice because I took honors Spanish (I chose Spain)but didn't once learn and more specifically have to pledge my loyalties to another country.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I know nothing about the teacher, nothing, so it's foolish to assign motives to people I know nothing about. Give me some background info and I might be able to guess.

If you take an English class and the teacher tells you to recite a Shakespeare poem, you can't decide to recite Edgar Allen Poe. What kind of crap is that?
You don't need to know anything about the teacher, just that the teacher did was unneccesarily controversial and arguably an infringement on freedom of speech.

In my Spanish class, I participated in a skit in which I portrayed a gay man seeking to adopt a baby. In the story, the adoption agency turns us down, so we resort to other means.

I chose to do something that was politically controversial. This girl was forced to do something against her will and her values.

The skit ended with me heading to a bedroom with a female who would be the surrogate mother for me and my "partner".

We included plenty of dialouge (all in Spanish, of course) about why gay adoption was a bad thing.

However, to make the story interesting we had to be "successful".

Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Any public school that does this should not only lose public funding but have to pay for the construction of a new public school.

I like Mexico culture and Mexico more than anyone here but this is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies