Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,640,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
America isn't that bad...except for the Right-Wing dominated parts.
Poverty in Appalachia: Third World Living Conditions in America? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Pockets throughout the Sierra Nevada in California have the same problem. Both spots have pockets of very wealthy areas too, and lots of tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,081,959 times
If the US is so horrible, move. Easy peasy.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,961,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
To each his own. The north is uninhabitable due to severe cold weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Funny, I was going to say the same thing about the southern States, like Minnesota and Wisconsin. The heat and humidity make it impossible to live.

To both of you. Being from Ohio, and having lived here all of my life, it gets pretty darn cold here from October to May (snowing right now). At any rate, our summers can get just as hot and humid as locations in the "sun belt" states. Even though I am fond of my home state, I love the warm weather, and I certainly wouldn't mind being a snowbird someday. But that is way down the road. I will tell you though, that I wouldn't move to a more northern location than where I'm at right now (or to the mountains for that matter). I get enough cold and crappy weather right where I'm at.

Having said that. This country is my home. Do we have issues? Yes. But to me it's home, and really there is no place that I would rather be. I've seen at least 17 states in my lifetime, and I hope to someday see them all, and enjoy what each state has to offer. The one state I really want to visit is Texas. Especially the Gulf Coast area, as to me it has the impression of that "semi-tropical Florida" feel. But of course I'd love to see Dallas and San Antonio as well.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I have, and I never want to go again. Like I mentioned on the first page, the biggest dumps in the nation are in the bright red deep south.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Having travelled and lived in both the South and the North, I would say that wherever there is poverty, be it in the North or the South, that poverty is visible and disheartening.

As for RT, I don't understand these people that call it a news source, and even consider it better than mainstream news. Mainstream news is far from perfect, which is why everyone should utilize as many news sources as possible. But RT isn't a news source, it's Putin's personal propaganda machine. While it may masquerade as the news, it's pro-Putin propaganda, pure and simple. That Americans should be so dissatisfied with their lives that they are fans of a RT is a travesty.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,424,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The truth hurts. Watch it, and discuss.

The Truthseeker: US worst place to live? (E9)
RussiaToday·18,500 videos

Published on Feb 22, 2013
The greatest nation on earth (© US politicians & media) exposed as among the worst in the West... on all life indicators, why China steams ahead, plans for Land of the Tax Free + the proud record the States share with Lesotho, Liberia, Papua New Guinea and Swaziland. Seek truth from facts with Belle Isle: Detroit's Game Changer author Rod Lockwood, Chair of Chinese Intl. Affairs Barry Naughton, The Personality and Well-Being Lab Director Dr. Ryan Howell, Political Science Professor Joseph Cheng, and Fox host Bill O'Reilly.

The Truthseeker: US worst place to live? (E9) - YouTube
That is just ridiculous propaganda. Note that it is a video published by "RussiaToday."

The USA is not the best place to live, but no one with a brain would say it is the worst. If you really think so, then I invite you to move to: Russia, China, anywhere in far eastern Europe, Afghanistan, Syria, pretty much anywhere in Africa... get the picture now?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,206,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The truth hurts. Watch it, and discuss.

The Truthseeker: US worst place to live? (E9)
RussiaToday·18,500 videos

Published on Feb 22, 2013
The greatest nation on earth (© US politicians & media) exposed as among the worst in the West... on all life indicators, why China steams ahead, plans for Land of the Tax Free + the proud record the States share with Lesotho, Liberia, Papua New Guinea and Swaziland. Seek truth from facts with Belle Isle: Detroit's Game Changer author Rod Lockwood, Chair of Chinese Intl. Affairs Barry Naughton, The Personality and Well-Being Lab Director Dr. Ryan Howell, Political Science Professor Joseph Cheng, and Fox host Bill O'Reilly.

The Truthseeker: US worst place to live? (E9) - YouTube
Bottom line on a country is to compare how many are trying to get in by legal or illegal invasion compared to how many are trying to get out

Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,430,621 times
lol, praising China over the US as a better place to live? Ok, if you want to be a slave and have no human rights. Who's the Commies behind this BS?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Bunch of crap, really.

RussiaTimes is like the propaganda branch of a segment of Russian government trying to re-ignite the cold war and getting angry that the US really doesn't even care about them anymore.

The United States fails on MANY metrics in the first world.

However, it is the largest, most diverse (on multiple meanings of the word) and most complex country in the western world. It has challenges and a history not matched by any other... and still manages to provide for its own AND the hordes of poor and impoverished that stream over the border that we are magically expected to take care of as well.

Anyone ever wonder what the poverty stats would be if we didn't have... oh.... 10 - 20 million illegals within our borders, popping out kids that we have to feed, educate and (often) house? Our resources are stretched ever-thin and we will never eradicate poverty because some people think we have a moral obligation to take in the unwashed masses from other lands .... AND provide for them as well!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,240,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Bunch of crap, really.

RussiaTimes is like the propaganda branch of a segment of Russian government trying to re-ignite the cold war and getting angry that the US really doesn't even care about them anymore.

The United States fails on MANY metrics in the first world.

However, it is the largest, most diverse (on multiple meanings of the word) and most complex country in the western world. It has challenges and a history not matched by any other... and still manages to provide for its own AND the hordes of poor and impoverished that stream over the border that we are magically expected to take care of as well.

Anyone ever wonder what the poverty stats would be if we didn't have... oh.... 10 - 20 million illegals within our borders, popping out kids that we have to feed, educate and (often) house? Our resources are stretched ever-thin and we will never eradicate poverty because some people think we have a moral obligation to take in the unwashed masses from other lands .... AND provide for them as well!
The story was misleading, but entirely accurate. The USA lags behind almost every other OECD country.

Wealth Distribution and Income Inequality by Country | Global Finance

We like to pound our chests and say we are number 1, but in reality we aren't #1 in any meaningful category. We do have the largest military, prison system and one of the larger PPP per capita, but I think that is it.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The story was misleading, but entirely accurate. The USA lags behind almost every other OECD country.

Wealth Distribution and Income Inequality by Country | Global Finance

We like to pound our chests and say we are number 1, but in reality we aren't #1 in any meaningful category. We do have the largest military, prison system and one of the larger PPP per capita, but I think that is it.

The United States is NEVER going to be able to lead all OECD countries on most metrics. There are simply too many variables at play.

A more appropriate way to look at the US vs. European countries, for example, would be the EU vs. USA. Some states/countries are richer than others, have more poverty than others, better economies than others, better innovation, higher standard of living overall.

It really doesn't do any good to compare a nation of 5 million with a nation of 315 million, anymore than it is to compare Maine vs. California.

We would all see that California has waaay more challenges than Maine. But, is Maine a "better place to live" than CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies