Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there such a thing as heterophobia?
Yes 29 37.66%
No 40 51.95%
Unsure 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Is slavery immoral?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
When you said You KNEW it was "bunk" I figured he was a Genesis creationist.
Why would you think something so foolish?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
No, no you can't! Have you ever been sexually attracted to someone? It isn't something you can control. I am not attracted to fat women, women with bad skin, or flat chested women and I cannot control that. Nobody can.
Speak for yourself.

Everything that you mentioned is entirely subjective.

Did you know that typically, Russians prefer plumper women than Americans generally do, and in Russia being too thin is not something that a woman would want to be?

I'm also fascinated by pre-Bolshevik Russia and wonder sometimes if I was born in the wrong era and country.

I've never been a "breast" guy myself and find a "skin and bones" woman to be not so attractive.

Define "bad skin".

Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes.
Why is slavery immoral? There is biblical support for slavery.

(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT), (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT), Jesus Christ thinks slaves should be beaten too (Luke 12:47-48 NLT), (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT), (Ephesians 6:5 NLT), (Exodus 21:20-21)

Please address the full post questions.

Quote:
You don't need to be married to have sex or even to have a baby. Doesn't the bible also say that it is not good for man to be alone? How do you come to the conclusion that homosexuality is immoral? Is slavery immoral?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
And there is not any scientific evidence that it is not an inborn trait. The only proof that is solid is that of gay people who state that we did not choose the sex of the people we desire to have sex with. I can never choose to be attracted to women, nor to have sex with them.
In other words you admit that there is no empirical evidence.

How "scientific".

Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 PM

734 posts, read 932,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You now, I have never had a gay friend try to persuade me to be gay, nor have I ever seen any gay person anywhere in the media trying to dissuade heterosexuals from their orientation, or casting aspersions on heterosexuality. Ever.

But the other way around?---whew!
Well, it goes on every day. The media is responsible for all of the movies and tv "programming" and songs which seek to normalize homosexuality.

Katy Perry for example is used to sell the idea of homosexuality to young girls.

I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry (Lyric Video) - YouTube

Also recall that anytime the establishment gets the opportunity, they always feature homosexuality for the masses, especially during award shows:

Madonna -- Britney Spears (Kiss) ;-) - YouTube

There are so many other examples of this. Young children and teens watch this, and it changes their mindset, this type of "programming" is very effective...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself.

Everything that you mentioned is entirely subjective.

Did you know that typically, Russians prefer plumper women than Americans generally do, and in Russia being too thin is not something that a woman would want to be?

I'm also fascinated by pre-Bolshevik Russia and wonder sometimes if I was born in the wrong era and country.

I've never been a "breast" guy myself and find a "skin and bones" woman to be not so attractive.

Define "bad skin".
Russians do not like fat people either it is a shame to be fat there, in fact, they like fat people less than Americans do. You will never see a Rosie O'donnell on tv in Russia.

Moderator cut: do not post photos that you did not take

Last edited by Keeper; 03-02-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM

334 posts, read 450,970 times
Default .

Quote:
Why would you think something so foolish?
Since you said it was "Bunk" there is no other conclusion you can have.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM

334 posts, read 450,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post

There are so many other examples of this. Young children and teens watch this, and it changes their mindset, this type of "programming" is very effective...
Yeah, this stuff turns the girls into Lesbians ...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Why is slavery immoral? There is biblical support for slavery.
(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT), (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT), Jesus Christ thinks slaves should be beaten too (Luke 12:47-48 NLT), (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT), (Ephesians 6:5 NLT), (Exodus 21:20-21)
Sigh...

The Leviticus reference applied only to the Israelites - they had conquered the lands and as the custom was at the time - slaves were often taken.

The Bible does not condone slavery - the writers(inspired by God - and by extension - God) acknowledged that slavery existed, and that is the context in which you must read any reference to slavery in the Bible). We are fallen people - sinners - and one expression of that fallen state is that for much of human history we have enslaved people, and still do to this day(see human trafficking).

Exodus refers to indentured servants - they are not slaves - and a process for them to earn their freedom is outlined in the passage which you cited, much like as was in place for white, English indentured servants who became indentured servants in exchange for passage to the New World in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Jesus was not condoning slavery - he spoke often of setting the captives free - and that is exactly what he did when he died on the cross - he set us free from the bondage of sin. Jesus was acknowledging that slavery existed in the Roman Empire and using a commonly known fact to make a spiritual point(followers of Christ are supposed to be "slaves" to Christ, not to sin).

Paul in his letter to Timothy was doing something similar, he acknowledged that slavery existed in the Roman Empire and exhorted those Christian slaves to not make the faith be seen in a poor light - and thus to obey their masters -"so our name may not be slandered".

Paul was making the same point in your citation of his letter to the church in Ephesus.

As for your last Exodus reference - see my response to your Levitical reference above.

Citing the Word of the Lord without understanding, is futile.

For those who want me to take it to the religion forum - blame lycos - he cited the scripture passages to which I responded above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies