Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

You have an excuse for every irrational behavior someone partakes in. I guess that is what happens when you are told you are weak and cannot fend for yourself. Somebody else has to take care of you. Be it the abusive spouse or big government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The bill includes women and men. Something like 1 out of 5 domestic abuse victims are men.
Then why is it called the violence against women act? Oh I forget to garner votes. Everything in that bill was already illegal. It screams women are victims. I guess you can't see it. I guess naming a bill violence against citizens act when it's already illegal wouldn't make any sense though. Especially for some who want to claim victim status.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Nothing is simple when it comes to domestic violence. Domestic violence is not like violence perpetrated by a stranger.

One research study (Pagelow,1982) found that almost 80 percent of abused women had made at least one previous but unsuccessful attempt to leave the relationship and 71 women returned unwillingly. In another study, 20 percent of the women reported that they returned to their batterers at least one time because of threats to hurt or take the children.

Women who leave may be seen to be the "deserting partner" and run into legal problems in child custody cases.
It took me five years to finally get away. Five years...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You have an excuse for every irrational behavior someone partakes in. I guess that is what happens when you are told you are weak and cannot fend for yourself. Somebody else has to take care of you. Be it the abusive spouse or big government.
The VAWA is designed to help enable women to stand up for themselves, and provides training and support to the legal system to support them, instead of also penalizing them. Nevertheless, it is not uncommon for police to be called to a domestic violence situation, and arrest both the man and the woman. Domestic violence is messy. Both people are liable to be emotional, perhaps injured---police can't tell what's going on. Also, if police do show up and arrest the both of you, what's going to happen to the kids? You guessed it. You've now entered the universe of Child Protective Services.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
the law is good. unlimited spending is bad no matter how just the cause.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah I slap women around all the time. Shoot em too, ya know I'm quicker to the gun and all.

Keep playing the victim card. Your good at it and you may convince others that is the way to go. Good work.
Deflection.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It took me five years to finally get away. Five years...
Power to you! I'm glad for you that you got away. It takes a lot of strength and perseverance.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
More BS and crap from the left....... As if there wasn't law enough, and that somehow more law not enforced will help.

lefties........ 0+0 = 0 There do you 'Feel' better now?

And then this BS gets institutionalized. I know because my wife got sick, and several times i took her to the ER in the middle of night where all the nice nurses and doctors would take her aside and ask if I had beaten her.

Why else would she be in so much pain and for no apparent reasons other than these people sluffed off the real work or were perhaps too ignorant to do their jobs.......

Because for a job physical a real doctor found my wife's problem and after having her uterus removed being that it was full of cysts all her problems went away just like magic.

But it still feels insulting to have been accused by strangers of beating my best friend. The whole thing seems very vulgar and has defiled my sense of honor for mankind.

You lefty's are f*cked up bad.

And the rest of that story is after a battle with the surgeon and the rest of the hospital staff I got pictures I took of my wife's body parts. I was given all sorts of grief over that, but i insisted they would not get 10 cents unless my wife got closure.

The staff insisted i was a nut case for wanting such a thing, and i assured them that if my own wife's wanted to see and i being her husband wanted to help her see that it was most unusual that a mess of total strangers who only got money would refuse us. That they wanted my wife's body parts more than we did was just about certifiably insane.

Little things like that you know... What society thinks is of very little importance to us.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Power to you! I'm glad for you that you got away. It takes a lot of strength and perseverance.
Thanks! I'm glad I got away alive.

You know, KUchief is correct in one instance..girls should be raised to be self-reliant and confident. Unfortunately, I was not raised that way; my mother (a self-absorbed histrionic psycho) took every opportunity to belittle me when I was a child so I guess I was ripe for an abusive relationship.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM

This woman in Illinois was finally granted clemency by the Governor after serving 26 years for killing her abusive husband. She was 19 when she married, and endured 12 years of abuse. She is now 57-years-old and upon her release plans to establish and run a rescue shelter for abused animals. (I find that heart-breaking.)

A clip from her clemency hearing is here:

Clemency sought for woman convicted of helping to kill abusive husband -- chicagotribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies