Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 03:57 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Ours did, and that came right from BCBS.
That's a convenient excuse. HI premiums have been going steadily up for decades, now they blame it on Obamacare.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM

37,286 posts, read 61,052,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
My adult son was on "Obamacare" for a little over 18 months. He was 26, had just come off my insurance, and had a couple of pre-existing conditions that prevented him from getting coverage. After being turned down by Kaiser, he applied for Cal PCIP (Pre-existing Conditions Insurance Plan) and paid $150 a month for comprehensive coverage ( which, fortunately, he never needed to use).
Before it existed, he was using it!

Wow that is cool!

Sounds like Al Gore, in 1990, when he time-traveled back to the 1950s to 'create' the internet.

Quote:
... Now he's covered through his employer's plan, and has dropped out of Obamacare. But, boy were we all glad it was there for him, just in case
I am glad too.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM

132 posts, read 159,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This is going to be really bad.

With only a small part of 'affordable' in effect, and this much rate increase for everyone, how much more rate increase is going to happen when it all comes into effect?
as I posted earlier, in California it will look roughly like the examples below (taken from Health Insurance Calculator | Covered California). I don't know about other states. That said you can't compare these plans with your current plans because the plans will be different and regulated. For example they will no longer be able to cancel your coverage if you get sick.

Quote:
HOW THE CALCULATOR WORKS FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU

A single mother of three kids

If you are a 40-year old single mother of three earning about $35,000 per year, your total costs for health insurance might be as much as $12,336 per year. However, you may qualify for about $10,908 in tax credits, which you can use to help pay the monthly premium for health insurance that cannot be refused even if someone in your family has a pre-existing medical condition. After applying the tax credit, you would be responsible for $1,428 annually – about $119 each month – for premium payments toward an average silver-level health plan.

A family of four

If you and your spouse earn about $50,000 per year, you likely qualify for tax credits to pay for health insurance to cover your family, including your two children. Without a tax credit, health insurance is likely to cost about $12,336. To help pay for health coverage, your family may be eligible for a tax credit of more than $8,892, which would bring your annual premium to $3,444 – about $290 a month -- for an average silver-level health plan.

A family of three

If you and your spouse have a child and earn about $22,000 each year, you can get health coverage through Medi-Cal.

A single person with no dependents

If you are a single person under age 40, your health insurance could cost as much as $3,408 each year. However, if you earn $18,000 per year, you may be eligible for a tax credit of about $2,607. You would be responsible for the remaining premium payment, which for an average silver-level plan, is about $816 annually, or about $68 per month. You may also be eligible for a cost-sharing subsidy that would lower your portion of health care expenses.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:01 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,081,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Obamacare is going to alleviate the problems with America's healthcare immensely. And as a born and raised Floridiean (currently a Tampa resident) I am very aware of what this state's economy revolves around. YES! People should get insurance through employers if they work in hospitality!! Are you that much of an ass? That you believe low skilled workers shouldn't have access to healthcare? They get the same diseases that you do and they need access to affordable care. Obamacare will provide this to them.
I was born in Miami and lived in central Florida up until late 2010. I know just as much about the state as you. And yes, I am, in your words, an ass, b/c I understand fiscal responsibility and personal responsibility, unlike those on the left. I also understand economics. Do you?

I do believe that low skilled workers should work their way up the ladder or get a better education, obtain more skills, etc., to be able to get a job that provides health insurance for its employees. That's how it's always been.

No, Obamacare will not provide it for them, that's just what you, as a blind sheep, have been told to believe.

Quote:

If employers wish to cut hours and time for their employees, then the exchanges and government subsidies will be there to aid those who can't find work that will provide them with insurance.
Where do you think that money comes from? Taxpayers like you and me. Nothing is free. We get to pay for people who do not want to better themselves and get a job that merits healthcare benefits.

Quote:

Medicaid and Medicare pay less than an insurance company, yes, but they pay a hell of a lot more than what not getting paid would. Millions of people without health insurance simply bankrupt their medical debt away and the doctors don't get paid. I am currently contemplating doing this myself.
Then you, sir, are part of the problem. Pay your bills.

Quote:

Obamacare is making this BETTER! It is only worse to people like you who would prefer the less fortunate in society to lay on the street and die of sickness so you can hog as much healthcare as you can for yourself.
lolol Oh, the humanity! I have nothing to say to people who want to repeat these disgusting liberal talking points. How about thinking for yourself instead?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,081,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The insurance company that I work for, for instance, had to increase the rate we charge the state of Kentucky for our medicaid plans by 7% last year. It is difficult to make a profit in that state so our company did what we had to do.
Oh? See, that is capitalism. You pass your costs on to your consumers. They either pay it or go elsewhere.

I thought part of the problem that Obamacare was solving was that insurance companies have millions and billions of dollars in profits, those greedy CEOs are making a fortune off poor suckers who pay for insurance!!!! But straight from the horse's mouth, it can be hard to make a profit in some cases.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 PM

37,286 posts, read 61,052,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
You note that he said his son was on the California version of the Pre-existing Conditions Insurance Plan, aka "High Risk Pool Insurance", which was created as a provision of the ACA? That part of the law certainly has been implemented "yet".
Right 18 months before, ...

Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,310,277 times
Quote:
I was born in Miami and lived in central Florida up until late 2010. I know just as much about the state as you. And yes, I am, in your words, an ass, b/c I understand fiscal responsibility and personal responsibility, unlike those on the left. I also understand economics. Do you?

I do believe that low skilled workers should work their way up the ladder or get a better education, obtain more skills, etc., to be able to get a job that provides health insurance for its employees. That's how it's always been.

No, Obamacare will not provide it for them, that's just what you, as a blind sheep, have been told to believe.

Where do you think that money comes from? Taxpayers like you and me. Nothing is free. We get to pay for people who do not want to better themselves and get a job that merits healthcare benefits.

Then you, sir, are part of the problem. Pay your bills.

lolol Oh, the humanity! I have nothing to say to people who want to repeat these disgusting liberal talking points. How about thinking for yourself instead?
I have always supported higher taxes for universal healthcare. Why the hell do you conservatives keep spouting this "Liberals think it is FREE healthcare!" nonsense?? Most Americans understand that universal healthcare requires higher taxes and are really to pay it because so many people in America have been dicked over by our current healthcare system.

I will not think just for myself regarding this issue. Far too many people that I know have had their lives destroyed by debt due to medical bills for me to just think of myself with this issue. We all share this society and I want it to be a healthy society.

And regarding how you think low skilled workers shouldn't have affordable access to healthcare. That is just utterly disgusting. Anyone who said that to me would get nothing more than my middle finger up their nose because so many of my family and friends are part of this hard working demographic. One day, someone who you care about (if you care about anyone) will get sick and will benefit from the healthcare reform that Obama gave this country. I hope at that time you will be a little bit thankful!

Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Oh? See, that is capitalism. You pass your costs on to your consumers. They either pay it or go elsewhere.

I thought part of the problem that Obamacare was solving was that insurance companies have millions and billions of dollars in profits, those greedy CEOs are making a fortune off poor suckers who pay for insurance!!!! But straight from the horse's mouth, it can be hard to make a profit in some cases.
The argument is that my company can administer medicaid benefits to the population more efficiently than the government can, while still pulling in a profit. It works. My company's business is going to boom because of Obamacare.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Funny how you lefties ignore the constitution.
The Supreme Court, who is much more versed in our constitution, sided with the left. The constitution is being followed perfectly fine.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Before it existed, he was using it!

Wow that is cool!

Sounds like Al Gore, in 1990, when he time-traveled back to the 1950s to 'create' the internet.

I am glad too.
Somehow, I think you confused pre-existing conditions with something in pre-existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies