U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,977,650 times

Advertisements

I think this is going a little too far for "practice" if you ask me.
Possibly traumatizing kids to teach them a lesson ?

Turner school lockdown drill scares students | kgw.com Portland
"I was on the playground and I see everyone screaming, running into their classrooms," said fifth-grader Carter Bourassa. "I turn around and there is this guy climbing over the fence with a stick."
Carter said the man was dressed in a hoodie.
"I thought someone was going to kidnap us or kill us," said Carter. "I was scared and there was a lot of people crying."
The kids raced inside to their classrooms. Carter said the man then started banging on the windows.
The principal sent a letter home to parents after the drill. He said the school has debriefed about the drill and he hopes everyone learned something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM

36,388 posts, read 19,679,514 times
In the mind of the victims er uh children, this is no less traumatic than the real thing, but I guess its okay when the perps wear government issued costumes.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 AM

15,452 posts, read 14,109,791 times
Darn, when I was a kid we just had boring fire drills.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 AM

488 posts, read 498,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think this is going a little too far for "practice" if you ask me.
Possibly traumatizing kids to teach them a lesson ?
Drills and practice are fine. Any person in the military or LE will tell you they reverted back to their training in life or death situations. This, however, is just absolutely stupid.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:31 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,213,941 times
I wonder what would happen if someone were packing..under the table..so to speak as one of these supprise drills happend.

I hear they already practice lock down...the fake intruder is a bit much.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:31 AM

16,876 posts, read 13,851,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In the mind of the victims er uh children, this is no less traumatic than the real thing, but I guess its okay when the perps wear government issued costumes.

ever noticed how we protect almost everything important in our lives with firearms, but when it comes to schools, no firearms allowed.

but if murders start to happen there, we call the cops to respond with their firearm.

what a bunch of hypocrites people are.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM

86,068 posts, read 76,977,650 times
Or how about the Illinois school principal who plans to shoot blanks during drills to get the kids "used to" hearing gun shots ?

Are we educating our children to grow up in an environment of invasion/gunfire which we only used to read about happening in other countries ?

Illinois school plans to shoot blanks during drill to get students used to gunfire* - NY Daily News

Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 AM

36,388 posts, read 19,679,514 times
Anything to instill the government as protector/ provider mindset and all the better to do it while their minds are young and maleable.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,219,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Darn, when I was a kid we just had boring fire drills.

Heck, when I was in second and third grade (1961, 1962) we were still doing the 'duck and cover' drills in case of nuclear war. I can still hear the sirens going off (during the drills, of course) and the teacher ordering us tikes to protect ourselves from the incoming nuclear warheads by getting under out little wood desks and covering our heads with our arms.

Anyway, drills are fine, but the school the subject of this thread may have exceeded the bounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies