Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM

45,307 posts, read 60,463,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
All of their death sentences were commuted to life (there was no life without parole back then) after the Supreme Court ruling, so, yes, they all do get parole hearings.

It think the crimes were so shocking and so horrendous, and they were all so notorious, it was one of the most high profile cases ever, that as long as the memory of that time is still alive, none of them will ever get out. Actually, being a "model prisoner" does get them "something".....it makes a difference in how they are treated in prison. No one will admit that because some guards are going to be harsh no matter what, but overall, good behavior in prison does benefit the inmate. Whatever small privileges they have become very valuable, and when they break rules or behave badly, those privileges are taken away. When they are model prisoners, usually they don't lose privileges.
FancyFeast is correct, after the death penalty ruling all prisoners nationwide then on Death Row had their sentences commuted to Life, which in most if not all instances meant that they would be eligible for parole. Which is why Manson and others have had multiple parole hearings.

To date, Life Without Parole has meant just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,403,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Manson was sentenced to life w/o parole - yet, he gets the chance of getting out. Go figure

Life does not MEAN "life". Its why so many support the death penalty. IF Life w/o Parole REALLY meant it, you might see more support for doing away with the death penalty.
No, Manson was NOT sentenced to life w/o parole. For some reason I thought you'd posted that you are an attorney. If Manson had been sentenced to life without parole, he would not be going to parole hearings.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 03-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: deleted and restated.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
No, Manson was NOT sentenced to life w/o parole. For some reason I thought you'd posted that you are an attorney.
I'm the King of England.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,403,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm the King of England.
LOL! We all do the best we can.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,623,643 times
I can't tell if the discussion is about Manson or Davis....which one is it ? I haven't read the whole 8 pages, for me, so which one is it ? Thx for any reply. I think Davis should be paroled.

eta: if it were not such a high profile case, he would have been paroled, I think. I am not a softy on murder, criminals, etc, etc. I just think Bruce Davis paid his debt to society.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,152,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I can't tell if the discussion is about Manson or Davis....which one is it ? I haven't read the whole 8 pages, for me, so which one is it ? Thx for any reply. I think Davis should be paroled.

eta: if it were not such a high profile case, he would have been paroled, I think. I am not a softy on murder, criminals, etc, etc. I just think Bruce Davis paid his debt to society.
It was originally about Davis, but it has inevitably devolved into a discussion about Manson. You haven't missed much. Thus far, the strongest arguments for ignoring the parole board's recommendations are:

1. Davis can't bring dead people back to life.
2. Davis hasn't made a full confession, though there is no way for Gov. Moonbeam nor anyone else to have the slightest idea if Davis isn't being forthcoming with his confession, not unless you track down Steve "Clem" Grogan, who was also convicted of Shorty Shea's murder and was paroled 30 years ago. He plays in bands under an alias until someone figures out who he is.
3, There are more deserving inmates, thus we shouldn't let Davis out.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,557,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

My opening post focus's on Davis and I agree with you. He's the one that was just denied parole for the second time. Schwartzeneger pulled the same thing.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,851,786 times
The punishment fits the crime. It is simple. it isn't about forgetting about what he did to get there based on what he has done since.

I would never parole any of the manson group. Let God deal with their redemption, their actions had serious consequences. Too bad they chose the course they did. Let him die in prison, that is more humane than what they did for Sharon tate, her baby, Jay Sebring, Steven Parent,Folger and Frykowski, and the Labianca's.

Susan Atkins held Sharon Tate down as Tex stabbed her to death, she tasted her blood and wrote PIGS on the wall with it. I have zero sympathy for these vile criminals. I feel for the families of the victims and hope they have some peace in their lives. Their family members aren't forgotten and many of us will agree to keep the culprits in jail until they die, where they belong.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM

334 posts, read 450,782 times
Okay, I have a question for those that say ... He is an old man let him out for the last few years of his life.

How about if he had killed one of your parents or a sibling and you were denied growing up with them.

I say again ... He can get out when those that he killed come back to life, AT the age they were when he killed them.

This is NOT a case where there may be a mistaken identity.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,949,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
Okay, I have a question for those that say ... He is an old man let him out for the last few years of his life.

How about if he had killed one of your parents or a sibling and you were denied growing up with them.

I say again ... He can get out when those that he killed come back to life, AT the age they were when he killed them.

This is NOT a case where there may be a mistaken identity.
I have dead family, and when bad guys can bring the dead back i might consider parole...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies