Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I agree with you ^^^^
It appears to me that the investigation was pretty shabby. Davis was nailed for involvement with Hinman simply on the word of a Manson family member who changed her story numerous times. If they had to actually prove who did what, I think they'd come up short.
Politics and emotions drove the lynchmob, and it continues to this day.
The death penalty is about politics, politics, politics. People get elected to various public offices based on their support of the death penalty, or in the cases of judges, etc., their record for sending people to death row, and in Florida, our Attorney General used her experience as a prosecutor who sent some people to death row in her campaign for that office.

Btw, do you know Bruce Davis? How much do you know about the trial, who were the witnesses, what they said, etc.? Did Davis by any chance enter a plea???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 03:21 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
It's about POLITICS, period. When you are involved in any way with such a violent group of people and involved in such horrific crimes, you no longer have the same rights as people who have not behaved in such a way. This man is going to spend the rest of his life in prison. MANSON is the key word. I would also suggest that he in fact would/will be happier in prison for the rest of his life than he would be if released. He has adapted and is totally institutionalized after 40 years. At his age, adapting to being "free" would be enormously difficult if not impossible.
I totally agree with this. I think he deserves to be let free, but I don't think he'd be safe or happy being free in the long run. He'd revel in his freedom for a week and then realize hasn't got a clue how to exist in society anymore, has none of the life skills required.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The death penalty is about politics, politics, politics. People get elected to various public offices based on their support of the death penalty, or in the cases of judges, etc., their record for sending people to death row, and in Florida, our Attorney General used her experience as a prosecutor who sent some people to death row in her campaign for that office.

Btw, do you know Bruce Davis? How much do you know about the trial, who were the witnesses, what they said, etc.? Did Davis by any chance enter a plea???
No, I don't recall following the case all that much even back then, so much hysteria. Plenty of books were written, but when people are making money off a case, I'm not sure how reliable their point of view is. If a defense attorney wrote about the case, that would be something I'd like to look at.
I looked around today, and not finding much info on the web.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
I think Brown is insane.
As the story in YOUR link indicates, it would appear that Brown seems pretty rational to me:
Brown said he wants Davis, who has been behind bars for 42 years, to come clean about all the details of his involvement with Manson's cult and the two gruesome killings of a stuntman and a musician.

It was the second time in less than three years that a California governor has rejected a parole board ruling in Davis' case. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger refused his release in 2010, citing the heinous nature of Davis' crimes and his efforts to minimize his involvement.

Brown repeated those reasons in a six-page decision but added his belief that Davis still has more to disclose about the killings.

"Until Davis can acknowledge and explain why he actively championed the Family's interests and shed more light on the nature of his involvement, I am not prepared to release him," Brown said.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I totally agree with this. I think he deserves to be let free, but I don't think he'd be safe or happy being free in the long run. He'd revel in his freedom for a week and then realize hasn't got a clue how to exist in society anymore, has none of the life skills required.
True, but at 70 he'd get social security so he'd have a roof over his head, and SNAP. I'm sure he'd just be happy breathing free air and holding Bible study or something.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As the story in YOUR link indicates, it would appear that Brown seems pretty rational to me:
Brown said he wants Davis, who has been behind bars for 42 years, to come clean about all the details of his involvement with Manson's cult and the two gruesome killings of a stuntman and a musician.

It was the second time in less than three years that a California governor has rejected a parole board ruling in Davis' case. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger refused his release in 2010, citing the heinous nature of Davis' crimes and his efforts to minimize his involvement.

Brown repeated those reasons in a six-page decision but added his belief that Davis still has more to disclose about the killings.

"Until Davis can acknowledge and explain why he actively championed the Family's interests and shed more light on the nature of his involvement, I am not prepared to release him," Brown said.
This is akin to continue to torture someone because they aren't telling you what you want to hear. There is nothing more to tell. Brown is playing politics, it's that simple. Davis has more integrity than Brown.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Brown says he doesn't believe Davis was a reluctant follower. There is no way for Davis to make Brown believe.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Davis has more integrity than Brown.
You really hate Jerry Brown don't you?

Thread fail.

Davis chose his own fate the day he decided to be a participant in two murders. He wasn't shot down over Korea and brainwashed. He CHOSE to join up with Manson. He CHOSE murder. Getting all enraged that Brown denied him parole is utterly ridiculous.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You really hate Jerry Brown don't you?

Thread fail.

Davis chose his own fate the day he decided to be a participant in two murders. He wasn't shot down over Korea and brainwashed. He CHOSE to join up with Manson. He CHOSE murder. Getting all enraged that Brown denied him parole is utterly ridiculous.
What is the evidence that he murdered anybody? I don't know what the evidence is for Hinman, other than someone saying he was there, but she was not a reliable witness, as her story changed many times.
He was there for Shorty, but after the fact. According to him, Shorty was already dead.
Anyway, that was forty years ago, he has a masters and a doctorate now, and should be released.
Brown went to law school for four years, so he could be a career politican. Brown is a scumbag.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Was he sentenced to life in prison? Then so be it. Becoming a christian means less than nothing and doesn't belong in the debate. Nobody can say he isn't a threat since after 40+ years in prision, with a controlled and regulated life, who knows what would happen when he suddenly had the freedom to do whatever the hell he wanted.
The only people who bring "Christian" into the debate are those who haven't an argument to begin with. It's called DEFLECTION. It's all libs have, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Jerry Brown rational? Oh, that's a good one. !! In spite of himself, he does occasionally get something right. Probably by complete accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually one of the people involved in one or two of the murders by the Mansons was released on parole, Grogan. That was an exchange for him helping law enforcement locate Shea's body. He was also considered extremely dumb.
I believe he was declared retarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies