Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

That's a good development. I guess that some have slowly figured out that sitting in a prison for 20 years and living in a living hell is not an option. Better to live in a mild hell than a harsh one. Poverty is still better than being confined to a steel box. The American prison system is bizarre in it's scope and size. There are more people locked up in America than the population of some countries. It's a huge embarrassment. It's not a normal state of affairs...but there is no nipping it in the bud approach. Thirty years ago when gang began to form in poor black neighborhoods..They should have been shut down with full force..even if they had to use the military. Instead they let the disease grow...in the name of constitutional freedom.

The reason there was no political will to clean up poor black hoods 3o or 40 years ago - now you see the results of not caring for people just because they were black. Racism and it's horrible effects stretched into the future...as we see with black incarceration...This could have been prevented if whites showed just a little bit of love and respect 40 years ago...but they did not. Whites did not know any better and did not look into the future to she what the results of their indifference and spite would be...millions of black people in storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There are some ongoing studies regarding crime, minorities and getting lead out of the environment.
Uh, lead poisoning messed up anglo white people too. I'm sure it don't help but.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
The drop is steeper among Black women which accounts for the lion share of the drop. Black male rates dropped as well but not enough to determine if it's a trend or a temporary blip. I guess time will tell.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The drop is steeper among Black women which accounts for the lion share of the drop. Black male rates dropped as well but not enough to determine if it's a trend or a temporary blip. I guess time will tell.
This might be the beginning of a turn around in the status quo...It took a hundred years to rot to this degree and I just hope that it does not take that long to un-rot. It's shocking when I view videos on the net of poor blacks in America. They almost can not speak English...America did not care if the blacks deteriorated. You would think something as basic as teaching poor black kids to speak would have at least taken place.

How hard would it have been to teach a kid to speak? That the word "that" is NOT "dat"....simple stuff...but no they allowed the black population who the majority are poor to decay.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh, lead poisoning messed up anglo white people too. I'm sure it don't help but.
In every place my family has ever lived, the more low income people lived in the more industrial areas of the community.

Couple that with the getting the lead out of paint and gasoline, the studies may be on to something.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
This might be the beginning of a turn around in the status quo...It took a hundred years to rot to this degree and I just hope that it does not take that long to un-rot. It's shocking when I view videos on the net of poor blacks in America. They almost can not speak English...America did not care if the blacks deteriorated. You would think something as basic as teaching poor black kids to speak would have at least taken place.

How hard would it have been to teach a kid to speak? That the word "that" is NOT "dat"....simple stuff...but no they allowed the black population who the majority are poor to decay.
Great post above, and I agree with this one as well.

What's funny to me as a black man is that during the slave days, blacks were punished severely for pursuing education or learning how to read. Now its other blacks who have used peer pressure to criticize and make fun of those trying to get ahead.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
This trend likely has more to do with budgets than actual crime statistics.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Maybe because Black people as a group are following in the footsteps of us "Irish"? I say that because we filled up the jails back in the day. Tho many of us died for various reasons, the rest of us got the message and cut down the drinking, fighting, messing around and so on.

The Black WOMEN thing don't surprise me tho: it seems more and more of the ladies are stepping up and taking care of business. They had a huge role model for over 20 years: Oprah.

Something else: less Black kids are being born these days and the moms are doing a better job of raising them IMHO.
I disagree to an extent. The hatred towards the Irish went beyond the drinking and filling up the prisons. The drinking and filling up the prisons just made some people feel like they had a justification to hate the Irish. I would say one reason the the crime rates came down is because

A) Plenty of work available
B) Marriage rates were higher
C)The Church.

One thing to consider about Black incarceration is that these rates have only been high since 1970. This is actually relatively recent. It is important to consider that the drug offenses make up half of those in the prisons. It is also important to know WHERE the drop in incarcerations is occurring.

Also, consider this. You have more people being released from prison after serving so much time in prison back in the 1980s. With an exodus from prison, this rate is very likely to drop.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:25 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This trend likely has more to do with budgets than actual crime statistics.
If memory serves me correct places like Cali were considering early release of prisoners due to budget cuts, so you just might be on to something.

Its interesting that the incarceration rates seem linked to drugs in particular.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Great post above, and I agree with this one as well.

What's funny to me as a black man is that during the slave days, blacks were punished severely for pursuing education or learning how to read. Now its other blacks who have used peer pressure to criticize and make fun of those trying to get ahead.
I would call it more sadly ironic than funny. The question is this. Where did the "make fun of your peers because they try to get educated" come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies