Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
“The source of wealth has changed over the past 30 years; corporations have become the engine of inequality in the U.S.,” says Sam Pizzigati, associate fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington D.C. “In the past, wealth came from ownership: Today it comes increasingly from income.”
From the link. That looks like a source to me.
I referred to the tax rate asserted in the article. It wasn't sourced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
If you like the Nordic model so much why not save up and move there ?
I don't think the US could operate under that model.
For one thing the Nordic countries have little market regulation and low levels of corruption. Those 2 alone disqualify the US.

Nordic model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
“The source of wealth has changed over the past 30 years; corporations have become the engine of inequality in the U.S.,” says Sam Pizzigati, associate fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington D.C. “In the past, wealth came from ownership: Today it comes increasingly from income.”
From the link. That looks like a source to me.
Yes, it comes from income. Not stop to think a little bit. Is the economy growing? No. Is sales up? No, at least not enough to make any difference. So where is the "income" coming from? It's coming from the Fed.

Demand that they stop it and the gap will fall.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
The issue that I have is that somehow "wealth" has become all powerful. What about building efficient businesses? What about providing great service? What about improving productivity? Quality of living?

Do we simply value "wealth" in this country no matter how its acquired?? Is a venture capitalist, or someone who got rich off the stock market as valuable as your local restaurant owner? Your grocer? The farmer??

Just wanting more people to truly think about the direction our country is heading in.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The issue that I have is that somehow "wealth" has become all powerful. What about building efficient businesses? What about providing great service? What about improving productivity? Quality of living?

Do we simply value "wealth" in this country no matter how its acquired?? Is a venture capitalist, or someone who got rich off the stock market as valuable as your local restaurant owner? Your grocer? The farmer??

Just wanting more people to truly think about the direction our country is heading in.
The venture capitalist is more valuable than the restaurant owner or farmer. The restaurant owner and the farmer wouldn't have the resources to start their company without the VC.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, it comes from income. Not stop to think a little bit. Is the economy growing? No. Is sales up? No, at least not enough to make any difference. So where is the "income" coming from? It's coming from the Fed.

Demand that they stop it and the gap will fall.
That will never happen. The government with its colossal deficit spending addiction can't afford the revenue loss if they stopped pumping.

Explanation of how tax revenue falls when income falls here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/28408475-post977.html

Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That will never happen. The government with its colossal deficit spending addiction can't afford the revenue loss if they stopped pumping.

Explanation of how tax revenue falls when income falls here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/28408475-post977.html
If they stop pumping rates go up which makes deficit spending harder which is why they will not demand that the reason for the wealth inequality stop.

It's a case of someone with cancer that wants to blame others for their cancer as opposed to treating their cancer.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The graph below shows the share of the poor in "Deep Poverty", defined as more than 50 % below the poverty line from 1975 to 2011:

Already more than a lost decade: Poverty and income trends continue to paint a bleak picture | Economic Policy Institute
This doesn't mean the poor are getting more poor. That is what I said. The poor are gaining wealth in the United States. Just not as quickly as the wealthy are.

Still nobody can give a valid economic reason why wealth inequality is a bad thing. All I hear is that "it's not fair". "It hurt's the economy". Yet, no one offers proof it hurts the economy. Just say it is and expect people to believe it.

Also never hearda decent solution. All I here is taking from one group and giving to another. That does not create wealth. As a matter of fact it destroys wealth for everyone.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Actually people spending money on housing, services, food helps an economy grow. That's why the economy has been in trouble. During the recession, and with job loss, not only did the tax revenue base contract, but people consumed less, thus further contracting the economy.
Wealthy people spend money on housing, services and food also. Probably a whole lot more than poor people.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:25 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The venture capitalist is more valuable than the restaurant owner or farmer. The restaurant owner and the farmer wouldn't have the resources to start their company without the VC.
I wouldn't say that's true in all cases. I started my business from working and saving my paychecks. Started small and am in the process of growing.

My other business we found a private investor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies