Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 08:25 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
wealth inequality is great if you have money.

that is the whole purpose of it.

The rich hate the poor, but they must have them in order to avoid being poor themselves.
This is the biggest load of crap on this thread.

Do you even know what you are talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I wouldn't say that's true in all cases. I started my business from working and saving my paychecks. Started small and am in the process of growing.

My other business we found a private investor.
So one of your businesses only exists because of angel investing, and you still disagree? Interesting.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If they stop pumping rates go up which makes deficit spending harder
It makes tax revenues decline significantly, as well, which would necessitate the need for even more deficit spending.

Bernanke knows he's playing a very dangerous game.
Quote:
"[T]he Fed understands that low interest rates for a "considerable" amount of time could impair financial stability."
Bernanke acknowledges that low interest rates could impair financial stability - NBC 14 News

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Half the people on this thread are equating income/wealth inequality with poverty. Which is why they make no valid points. Ineqaulity DOES NOT mean poverty.

Inequality is a blessing.

Wealth does not exist in nature. It can't be divided up and shared equally. It must be created.

Oil is useless until someone comes along and figures out an efficient way to use it. Any natural resource is only valuable when people figure out a way to make it satisfy our wants. Income accures to those that satisfy those wants. Income inequality indicates that some are better at satisfying the demands of others. That is a good thing. Everyone is better off because of it. No one is worse off.

Ludwig von Mises explained this very well 60 years ago:

"The consumers [in a market economy], by their buying or abstention from buying, ultimately determine what should be produced and in what quantity and quality. They render profitable the affairs of those businessmen who best comply with their wishes and unprofitable the affairs of those who do not produce what they are asking for most urgently... It is the consumers who make some people rich and other people penniless."

"Inequality of wealth and incomes is an essential feature of the market economy. It is the implement that makes the consumers supreme in giving them the power to force all those engaged in production to comply with their orders. It forces all those engaged in production to the utmost exertion in the service of the consumers. It makes competition work. He who best serves the consumers profits most and accumulates riches..."

"The millionaires are acquiring their fortunes in supplying the many with articles that were previously beyond their reach. If laws had prevented them from getting rich, the average . . . household would have to forgo many of the gadgets and facilities that are today its normal equipment. [Countries like the United States] enjoy the highest standard of living ever known in history because for several generations no attempts were made toward ‘equalisation’ and redistribution’. Inequality of wealth and incomes is the cause of the masses’ well-being, not the cause of anybody’s distress."

Just because Bill Gates has more wealth than me does not I am poor. Taking money from him and giving it to me does not create wealth. His wealth has never and will neverr hurt me economically. Matter of fact, I have bought severals of his products. He created something that I wanted and made my life better. The product was more valuable to me than the cash. The cash was more valuable to him than the product. It is a mutually beneficial voluntary exchange. He provided a service to me that I could not do on my own. In the process he accures cash and eventually wealth. NO ONE SUFFERS BECAUSE BILL GATES HAS MONEY.

Anyone that says different is a liar.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
This is the biggest load of crap on this thread.

Do you even know what you are talking about?
Kenny started a good thread a few days ago. The discussion went pretty well. It was explained pretty well why we have the wage gaps we have and Kenny seemed to understand.

But yet, couldn't refrain from a post like this.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It makes tax revenues decline significantly, as well, which would necessitate the need for even more deficit spending.

Bernanke knows he's playing a very dangerous game.Bernanke acknowledges that low interest rates could impair financial stability - NBC 14 News
Yes well, right now things are stable. Wall Street is profiting while main street is spinning it's wheels.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's an artifact of the government's policy of PAYING poor people to breed. Those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than everyone else, so of course we're going to have a high percentage of children living in poverty.

That 3 times higher birth rate among the poor also contributes to increasing income and/or wealth inequality.

Poor people do not get PAID to breed.

Poor people are more apt to breed, and it's been that way throughout history. There's often a correlation between education level, etc., and having kids one cannot afford. This same educational gap often explains why they are low wage earners to begin with.

Without poor people breeding we'd also find ourselves IMPORTING people bred in OTHER countries, so you'd end up paying for the poor no matter what.

A capitalist economy cannot operate without poor people, period, because there will always be the need for low and unskilled labor to be the cogs in the machine.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Kenny started a good thread a few days ago. The discussion went pretty well. It was explained pretty well why we have the wage gaps we have and Kenny seemed to understand.

But yet, couldn't refrain from a post like this.
He listened to more leftist rhetoric, so the sense was knocked out of him. The left appeals to emotions. They're very successful with that strategy among people who feel instead of think.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Liberals are entirely stupid... what is income inequality? Do you want everyone to earn the same income? Should the person who risked everything earn the same income as his/her employees? Then you point to the rich getting richer... that is what happens when you have excess money that is invested and earning interest... are you clueless? or just stupid and envious?
That has nothing to do with income inequality, which is largely how each group's income has changed over time.

What we have found is that the upper income group is capturing more and more of national income. That's the problem that can't be papered over with canards about everybody earning the same.

Instead of name-calling, look at the issue here, which is far from "stupid," "clueless" or has anything to do with "envy."

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That has nothing to do with income inequality, which is largely how each group's income has changed over time.

What we have found is that the upper income group is capturing more and more of national income. That's the problem that can't be papered over with canards about everybody earning the same.

Instead of name-calling, look at the issue here, which is far from "stupid," "clueless" or have anything to do with "envy."
There is no "national" income in a free society based on fiat currency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies