Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You can't leave 6 and 7-yr olds at home all day by themselves to go to school on a computer when the parent(s) are working. And you can't home school if you have to work to support your family.
They could move to another area or state with a better school system.

You tell me the excuse, I'll counter it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

Millions of Mexicans do that every year. They leave Mexico or, once here, move to where there is opportunity.

I am against illegal immigration because it is pure exploitation. Despite my tongue-in-cheek posts about my illegal Mexican gardener, I won't knowingly hire an illegal.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With a savings rate of a little over 2% Americans 30-40 years from now will be hurting in retirement.
Today you still have a batch of folks that have pensions. You still have a batch of folks that saved to live off of their investments with SS being a supplement.

That doesn't hold true for future retirees. With little to no savings, taking loans on their 401Ks and no more pensions, these folks will be 100% dependent on SS as their primary and only source of retirement income.

And there is no guarantee it will be there.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And there is no guarantee it will be there.
I have no fears at all that it will be there. I don't think it'll be solvent but I think it'll be there. Politicians have an allergic reaction to cutting anything. With all the millions of seniors in this country, it would be a disaster if social security disappeared. Just look at the hysterics Obama went into over the sequester. There's no way they'd risk the uproar of doing anything to social security. No matter how much money they have to borrow to keep it going, they will keep it going. Their re-election depends on it.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Just have to say this. I think the term "burger flipper" is a slur and degrading to people who work in food service and I'm not PC. Those PC people seem to use the term most liberally.

Not picking on you or this post, it's just the phrase has bugged me for years and everyone keeps using it. What does it mean anyway - minimum wage worker? Low income? Low skilled?

It's great that anyone is willing to work at fast food places, it used to be normal for kids to do so in high school. We still have plenty of kids doing it and some really cool older people who still make it a decent experience to go to a fast food place. Just sayin, why stigmatize people willing to work for low wages or who are forced to do so. If I had to, I would work at Wendys but I'd be unhappy to be mocked about it.
It's just a short cut to refer to anybody who works an unskilled minimum wage job. It's no different than saying CEO to mean any upper class business person. Same as you refer to fruit pickers to mean jobs that illegal aliens work even though they actually work in a variety of jobs.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I have no fears at all that it will be there. I don't think it'll be solvent but I think it'll be there. Politicians have an allergic reaction to cutting anything. With all the millions of seniors in this country, it would be a disaster if social security disappeared. Just look at the hysterics Obama went into over the sequester. There's no way they'd risk the uproar of doing anything to social security. No matter how much money they have to borrow to keep it going, they will keep it going. Their re-election depends on it.
Let's remember that Social Security hasn't contributed at all to the deficit. It's a program funded by a dedicated tax that has trillions in reserves. If in the future those reserves become depleted, Congress can decide to either cut benefits; expand the SSA tax-rate or raise the income level cut-off.

What doesn't make sense is to worry that Social Security might not have to reduce benefits in 30 years, so talk about reducing benefits now.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

Oh you try pulling up all your roots in order to move and have to establish yourself all over again and secure a job. Moving costs money. And you have to be able to support yourself during the time you are looking for a job. How are these families that rely on public transportation and can't make the $500 Catholic school tuition, for example, supposed to move?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Millions of Mexicans do that every year. They leave Mexico or, once here, move to where there is opportunity.

I am against illegal immigration because it is pure exploitation. Despite my tongue-in-cheek posts about my illegal Mexican gardener, I won't knowingly hire an illegal.
There you go. Illegal immigrants move every year in order to work hard, better their lives and give their children better opportunities than they had. And all many of you do is disparage them.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Living the inequality.

In Silicon Valley, rich getting richer and poor getting poorer* - Business on NBCNews.com

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Let's remember that Social Security hasn't contributed at all to the deficit. It's a program funded by a dedicated tax that has trillions in reserves. If in the future those reserves become depleted, Congress can decide to either cut benefits; expand the SSA tax-rate or raise the income level cut-off.

What doesn't make sense is to worry that Social Security might not have to reduce benefits in 30 years, so talk about reducing benefits now.

"trillions in reserves"?

Do you mean all those "special" T-bill IOUs? That is hilarious.

People paid into social security for a presumed "benefit" with money that they earned. That revenue was converted to "special" T-bills for "safe keeping. Now who pays for T-bills? We, as citizens through revenues.

So the feds, through this interesting con, have made the citizens pay for a benefit twice. A benefit, of course, which will probably not be realized by many Americans. A double payment for nothing! If a citizen had enacted such a scheme, they would be in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies