Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It has nothing to do with being liberal. A father can give up all his parental rights if he wishes. Stop trying to make everything left vs right.
No he can't, as he will be taken to court for child support.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
\

It doesn't make much sense to have a baby if the father isn't going to be a good one or be involved. It would seem that since women have an opt out option men should as well.
then what stops that man from having sex with 100 women and then fathering 100 babies (say all the women kept the babies)? How is it fair that he does not support a single one of them?

Sorry, but if he wants to have sex, as soon as he puts his penis into a woman, he accepts all outcomes of that act. Whether its to help a woman have an abortion, because they both agree, or if she decides to keep the baby, he is OBLIGATED to support the child.

IF he didn't want to have kids, then he should have kept his pants zipped up, know more about the woman before he slept with her, and/or used protection

Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
the male opt out option is to not sign the birth certificate and give up all parental rights, not force a women to have an abortion.
Failure to not sign the birth certificate is not an "opt out" clause, atleast not in NYS it isn't. Plenty of men have not signed a BC either because they didn't want to, or because they did not know they had a child running around. Either way, should the mother desire to do so, she can always drag him into court, force a paternity test on him, and legally place his "fatherly" responsibilities right on his shoulders--all the way back to the day that the child was born. You cannot just "give up" parental rights.

I honestly don't think forcing a woman to have an abortion is anymore reasonable or rational than making a man become a father against his will.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
than making a man become a father against his will.
It wasn't against his will . He willingly had sex with a woman. He should be prepared for any outcome of that act. If he didn't want to become a father, he had the choice to not have sex or use protection.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being liberal. A father can give up all his parental rights if he wishes. Stop trying to make everything left vs right. There are plenty of pro choice people on both sides and people like me who wouldneverwant a women to have an abortion.
Negative. You are simply misinformed. Unless the man is dead, his parental rights cannot be absolved.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Negative. You are simply misinformed. Unless the man is dead, his parental rights cannot be absolved.

actually it can. through the court. A couple can have their parental rights terminated through a court order. A single parent can have the non-custodial parent's rights terminated (if the non-custodial agrees). The latter happens a lot in the case of re-marriage. The former because the couple is giving up the child for adoption, or leaving their child with a guardian (family member, friend ,etc)

http://www.centerforchildren.com/ap_...ent_rights.php
http://singleparents.about.com/od/le...tal_rights.htm
http://www.saclaw.org/pages/terminat...al-rights.aspx

Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
It wasn't against his will . He willingly had sex with a woman. He should be prepared for any outcome of that act. If he didn't want to become a father, he had the choice to not have sex or use protection.
She willingly had sex that resulted in a child. Should we eliminate abortion rights and force her to be "prepared for the outcome of the act?" No? I didn't think so.

Like I said, there is no such thing as a double standard in the liberal mindset.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Failure to not sign the birth certificate is not an "opt out" clause, atleast not in NYS it isn't. Plenty of men have not signed a BC either because they didn't want to, or because they did not know they had a child running around. Either way, should the mother desire to do so, she can always drag him into court, force a paternity test on him, and legally place his "fatherly" responsibilities right on his shoulders--all the way back to the day that the child was born. You cannot just "give up" parental rights.

I honestly don't think forcing a woman to have an abortion is anymore reasonable or rational than making a man become a father against his will.
If a women does not tell a man that they have a child together then she will not get back child support. There have been cases in the news where a judge has done that, but those are exceptions to the rule, not the norm. it is not as simple as just taking a man to court and making him pay child support.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
She willingly had sex that resulted in a child.
He willingly had sex that resulted in a child.

Quote:
Should we eliminate abortion rights and force her to be "prepared for the outcome of the act?"[ No? I didn't think so.
Not even an analogy. Not even close to one.

Quote:
Like I said, there is no such thing as a double standard in the liberal mindset.
What you wrote wasn't a double standard. It was a poor analogy that fell flat out the door.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
actually it can. through the court. A couple can have their parental rights terminated through a court order.

A Center for Children & Family Law
Termination of Parental Rights and Child Support Obligations
Termination of Parental Rights
TPR's (termination of parental rights) from my knowledge would not apply in this situation. TPRs are for abandoned children for the purposes of adoption. Big difference. In NYS for example, if a child is removed and placed into foster care, and either of the two parents fail to comply with family court orders OR if the fail to have any contact with the said child for 2 two years, then yes a FC judge can execute a TPR if one is filed by a petitioner (usually a foster care agency).

But a guy (to my knowledge) cannot just walk into a court house and say "I don't want to be a father--eliminate my rights."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies