Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Good luck with that! My grandmother laid in a nursing home for over 5 years until one day she fell and broke her hip. She died within months! After seeing her in that place for years, my father vowed he'd never end up in one too, but you know what, he spent the last 3 months of his life in a rehab facility after surviving a fall down a flight of stairs, unable to communicate at all and not making improvement, he sucummbed (I can't spell it) to his conditions. 3 months not years! We could only hope at the onset that he would rally and come home or god forbid, fail quickly.

I'm going to guess, that in this case, with a DNR in place, the policy has to be not to help. However, has it been said that they wouldn't have helped if that DNR wasn't in place? If that is the case, then, yes, I can understand why everyone is so upset about this; but please, let's at least find out if that is the case. Each patient is treated individually. This is a question anyone considering such a facility needs to ask.
Yes, that is exactly what has been said. In this case, there was a DNR in place and not helping was the right thing to do. However, refusing to administer CPR is the policy of this facilility (not a nursing home) regardless of any DNR instruction. They would have treated the patient in the same way - even without a DNR. That does bother me and I'm glad I know that - so will know what to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
According to the audio the nurse's boss was screaming at her not to do CPR.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Don't worry your head about it. The lady simply stopped breathing. She went peacefully. Which is a far better option than someone jumping up and down on her fragile chest. Nothing to see here.

I hope and pray I go that way.
Nawh. I am sure the woman woman who stopped breathing would have been more than happy to suffer some bruising or a broken rib and to have kept on breathing...Right there is the attitude to be avoided. Someone other than the person in distress presenting an "option" .... what you "hope and pray" for is your business...maybe the old lady did not want to die that way...I have seen the dying - holding on to each moment..few voluntarily give up the life force. My rant here has made the point...another persons death life is none of anyone's business other than the person who it really concern...I am sure that the poster here is pro-abortion at any cost...nothing personal...but in my world- Life life life...The woman should have been at least the "option" of someone giving her a few chest compression and maybe getting her going for another year.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I've worked at ASL facilities and this is the norm, family members are all well aware of this policy when their family members go there to live.
I think you mean go there to die, right? Let's be honest, an ALF is the last stop usually. If they die in the hospital, it's only because they hung on long enough for the ALF to pass them off at the last minute when they saw the inevitable coming.

As far as this case is concerned, the DNR is a moot point in the sense that the actions on the nurses part would have been the same whether the DNR was in place or not. Was it cold? Yes. But ALF's don't exactly give off a warm and fuzzy feeling from the get go. My wife worked many years in these types of facilities. Residents are dropped off by the family because they don't want to deal with it anymore. ALF's are where people are sent to die when they become too much of a burden for the family.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I think you mean go there to die, right? Let's be honest, an ALF is the last stop usually. If they die in the hospital, it's only because they hung on long enough for the ALF to pass them off at the last minute when they saw the inevitable coming.

As far as this case is concerned, the DNR is a moot point in the sense that the actions on the nurses part would have been the same whether the DNR was in place or not. Was it cold? Yes. But ALF's don't exactly give off a warm and fuzzy feeling from the get go. My wife worked many years in these types of facilities. Residents are dropped off by the family because they don't want to deal with it anymore. ALF's are where people are sent to die when they become too much of a burden for the family.
The ALF's we visited were nothing like you described. People were there because they WANTED to be there; couples living in villas, etc. It functioned more like a retirement community and most people were under 80, active, and vibrant.

Beautiful and opulent - definitely not a nursing home. AND - not really for the very ill. There actually is not a whole lot of 'assitance' offered at some of these places. If one is in need of much care - an ALF is not the place to be; a nursing home would be more suitable.

I definitely would like to be in ALF when I'm too tired to cook for myself; clean, etc. BUT - one of the nice ones.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Nawh. I am sure the woman woman who stopped breathing would have been more than happy to suffer some bruising or a broken rib and to have kept on breathing...Right there is the attitude to be avoided. Someone other than the person in distress presenting an "option" .... what you "hope and pray" for is your business...maybe the old lady did not want to die that way...I have seen the dying - holding on to each moment..few voluntarily give up the life force. My rant here has made the point...another persons death life is none of anyone's business other than the person who it really concern...I am sure that the poster here is pro-abortion at any cost...nothing personal...but in my world- Life life life...The woman should have been at least the "option" of someone giving her a few chest compression and maybe getting her going for another year.
I wouldn't be so sure about the person you were quoting and their position on abortion.

At any rate - what is it about DNR that you do not understand? This lady could have been in a trauma center and they wouldn't have done anything - because she had a DNR order.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody forces you to sign a DNR. You seem confused.
What is it about the word "asked" that you don't understand. I didn't say I was forced.

Damn! Double Damn! It's hard to believe some people can get out of bed in the morning. By themselves.

Here...let me help with a copy/paste:

You are asked if you want to sign a DNR

Get it this time? It really isn't that hard. Try.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,427,425 times
Here's where this gets really sticky

Do-not-resuscitate-order-was-not-on-hand-for-Glenwood-Gardens-resident

She reportedly did not have a do-not-resuscitate order.

Bayless, however, did not have a do-not-resuscitate order, according to NBC affiliate KGET-TV

Reports identify her at Lorraine Bayless and confirm she did not have a do-not-resuscitate order

So did she or didn't she?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM

I certainly don't know if she did or didn't. What I do know is I would never trust an NBC blog. Their track record is about as bad as it gets.

The doctor who bloviates on Fox was all aghast about this story this morning, and not once did he mention DNR. I thought that was odd that it wasn't at least mentioned.

I'm sure some lawyer will get ahold of the family and talk them into changing their tune about being happy with the center. There will definitely be a lawsuit, right or wrong.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM

Kimberly on The Five just said the lady did NOT have a DNR. I don't know if she knows, or how she knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies