Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,404,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I have a feeling she will soon be out of a job and looking for another one where she can deny treatment to the ill. She's a nurse who believes her job does not include saving lives.
Totally unfounded, but you're entitled to your "feeling..."

She would have violated the agreement the independent living facility had with all residents and their families had she done otherwise. They have other facilities that intervene (see below), absent knowledge to the contrary, we should assume the family and the "elderly lady" consciously chose which facility the (sadly now) deceased was in.

Quote:
Glenwood Gardens is an independent living facility, which by law is not licensed to provide medical care to any of its residents.

Senior Care Types Provided: Assisted Living, Nursing Care, Continuing Care, Alzheimer's Care, Independent Living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What were they supposed to do here?
Do what would've been done in any department store or gas station - provide CPR if the 911 operator instructed them to. What is the facility's reason for having a nurse on site? For show? Pretense? To dial 911, which could be done (and has been done) by children of 5?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Nurse at facility says it's against policy to perform CPR........call 911........wait.......wait........wait.....die.

"The incident unfolded on Tuesday when 87-year-old Lorraine Bayless collapsed at Glenwood Gardens, a senior living facility in Bakersfield.
In the seven-minute, 16-second recording, the nurse told the dispatcher it was against the facility's policy for employees to perform CPR on residents.
With every passing second, Bayless' chances of survival were diminishing. The dispatcher's tone turned desperate.
"Anybody there can do CPR. Give them the phone please. I understand if your facility is not willing to do that. Give the phone to that passerby," the dispatcher said. "This woman is not breathing enough. She is going to die if we don't get this started."
After several minutes, an ambulance arrived and took Bayless to Mercy Southwest Hospital, where she died.
Glenwood Gardens released a statement confirming its policy prohibiting employees from performing CPR.
"In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community, our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives. That is the protocol we followed," the statement said."

Elderly Woman Dies After Nurse Refuses to Give Her CPR - Yahoo!
More like: What happens when lawyers and over-regulations collide.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
More likely it's a liability issue and the capitalistic free enterprise corporation that runs the home doesn't want to assume any risk. Yea capitalists and insurance companies!
More likely it's the nanny state that has decided to make crazy rules and regulations regarding these types of homes, prohibiting certain job descriptions to do certain jobs.

Won't be surprised when it comes out that this is the result of unions deciding that only they can do a certain job.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Look. This really is not that uncommon. The woman agreed to the conditions of whatever nursing care was, or was not, provided at the facility when she signed the lease.

Quote:
“Licensed facilities in Texas can refuse to provide CPR, but they are required to notify people during the admissions process of that policy,” said Texas Department of Aging and Disabilities Services' Cecilia Cavuto.
Cavuto said this is true even if the facility has certified nurses on staff.
The Department of Aging and Disabilities Services has no authority over independent living facilities.
Texas law does not require CPR in senior living facilities

Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
To assess the patient and call 911. Who else would do it? The other residents? A passing family member? I call these kind of nursing jobs babysitting...they pay lower than nursing home and a lot less than hospital. I had something similair in a group home. No emergency equipment in the facility...not even a pocket mask for CPR much less an BVM or a code cart. Just a nurse to sit around and watch people.
So they have a nurse for the purpose of dialing the phone????? For Pete's sake.

The fact that they had a nurse on board who made sure this woman received no treatment, will create HUGE problems for this facility. Guaranteed. Mark my words. They might have been better off to not have a nurse there at all. Then at least they could've claimed they had no medical providers present. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops in this case, if it doesn't settle ASAP. No doubt the management of this ridiculous place has already contacted their attorneys and is discussing settlement.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:

The fact that they had a nurse on board who made sure this woman received no treatment, will create HUGE problems for this facility. Guaranteed. Mark my words. They might have been better off to not have a nurse there at all. Then at least they could've claimed they had no medical providers present. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops in this case, if it doesn't settle ASAP. No doubt the management of this ridiculous place has already contacted their attorneys and is discussing settlement.
The lady agreed to the nursing roles at that facility when she signed the lease. There will be no settlement because the facility provided contractual services.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The lady agreed to the nursing roles at that facility when she signed the lease. There will be no settlement because the facility provided contractual services.
Mark my words, there will be a settlement. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say it's going to be a rather huge one. This nurse prevented this woman from being saved. There will be a nice, juicy lawsuit coming out of this.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Mark my words, there will be a settlement. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say it's going to be a rather huge one. This nurse prevented this woman from being saved. There will be a nice, juicy lawsuit coming out of this.
You know for a fact that CPR would have saved her?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,436 times
How you feel and reality might be two completely different things.

There are guidelines that are put into place by the state. There are inspectors that routinely show up at the facility to make sure that they are in compliance with the guidelines. Non-compliance will get the facility fined and eventually shut down if not corrected within the alloted time frame. The family and patient are made aware of the policies of the facility prior to admission so if they had a problem with it they had the option to go elsewhere. I'm 100% certain that there is a document(s) with the patient's signature or her health care proxy's signature.

The nurse might be disciplined for sounding callous but was a crime committed? Nope. If she is in the right state she could sue the employer for firing her when she did what it was the employer told her to do in the first place.

P.S Yes, yes they do hire a nurse to dial the phone. Why is that? Well it's because lay people can't tell the difference from a true medical emergency and a fart in most cases. I've been surrounded by lay people screaming stupid things like: He's having a seizure!!! The patient? An alert and oriented x3 person with eyes open faking to get a ride to the hospital. It happens.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies