Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 01:15 AM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Why does this thread remind me of a bad Rodney Dangerfield joke?
"Take California ... PLEASE!"
That was Henny Youngman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Consider the source. California isn't even in the top 10 anymore.

GDP Ranking By Nation In Trillions of US Dollars from the CIA World Factbook:

1. United States ($11.517 - after subtracting California's contribution)
2. China ($10.21)
3. Japan ($4.218)
4. India ($4.164)
5. Germany ($2.632)
6. United Kingdom ($1.928)
7. France ($1.902)
8. Italy ($1.756)
9. Russia ($1.746)
10. Brazil ($1.655)

California ($1.543)
Nice, use slanted info from the source you slam (Wikipedia) and don't even say that you are using PPP (purchasing power parity) which increases China's economy by about 500%! The real GDP in actual US dollar equivalents is $2.5 trillion

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...s/ch.html#Econ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 02:14 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
How are you going to convince all the people who believe that the government can do no wrong to be on the same page as you?
I'm not some leader or general. Just a message board poster. I'll go my own way.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:32 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I'm not some leader or general. Just a message board poster. I'll go my own way.
Your words are a rallying cry: "Sow the resistance seed in Ohio. We'll clear a path right to DC. WE'LL SMACK YOU RIGHT IN THE MOUTH ON YOUR BIG STAGE"

Which is why I asked.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:40 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Just a figure of speech. If Ohioans want to assemble for a cause they will do it. I'm no leader. Prefer to be alone. Let them form their own opinions. All I got is mine. Just an opinion.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:55 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
That isn't all they do. They bring their California ways with them and either try to force us to change, or ****** incessantly about how much it "sucks" here and how great California is.
Better Consumer Laws is one thing, inflated home prices is another. How do you inflate prices of an ugly place? California was too easy, Texas may not prove to be much of a challenge for them. Time to seal the New Mexico border!!!

I must remind everyone that WE are TEXANS, YOU are CALIFORNIANS. NO "We're all Americans" crap unless you want to be reminded that "We are all North Americans."

Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 PM

58 posts, read 47,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Californians,

In the top 10 largest economies of the world, with prodigious industry, a diverse population, rich natural resources, and a growing rift with the federal government, ..., if California were able, would it be better off as its own country?

Asked & answered in 1850.

Bet you Californians nowadays are feeling like the indians that sold Manhattan for 24 guilders.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:08 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Currently, yes. Moving to kentucky 6 years ago from Chicago was one of my life's biggest mistakes. I plan to depart. Never again will I consider living South.
That is very interesting, I wanted to move there hearing it was beautiful with all the trees and nice people. I do hear it gets humid/hot. What is the problem for you besides the Bible belt?

Old 10-28-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
At some point in time, not only will California separate itself from the USA, there will be other states that will do exactly the same thing. When that will be, probably some time in the distant future. As long as the USA continues on its destructive path putting its citizens in harms ways in a very volitile world. A country that is so divided by culture and politics I don't see how it will always be able to call itself the United States. I can definitely see California and others leaving the USA by the beginning of the next century, so not in our lifetimes.
Vermont alone has 25 groups who want to suceed (spelling) from the U.S. They are fed up with our government.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I doubt California pays for most of the water it gets from the Colorado river and other projects. Simply put, I'm not convinced California would survive without the rest of the US. This isn't to bash California but talking about the independence of an individual state is somewhat foolhardy.

California is a great state with some serious issues. I was born there and spent the first three years of my life there and still remember some things, such as San Bernadino and Disneyland. But it is very crowded, crime-ridden, and unaffordable. It is reaching the limits of growth with environmental consequences, particularly in terms of water supply. It is also not exactly representative of the US anymore because of the large number of illegal aliens and immigrants there.
You've got that right, it's getting more scary by the month, impossilbe to afford housing, and so much of it has you thinking you are in Mexico.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:25 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
You've got that right, it's getting more scary by the month, impossilbe to afford housing, and so much of it has you thinking you are in Mexico.
Cultural contrast compared to the rest of the states is my number 1 reason for seceding. Outside of maybe New York City, nothing in the states is remotely close to the diverse culture in California.

You find it scary, I find it different and soothing.

Housing is all relative to your needs. I have seen families of 4 in NYC living in 800 sq ft apartments. You wouldn't go to NYC, San Francisco, L.A. or really any high demand area expecting it to be cheap would you? If you want a 2500 sq ft house for 250k there are places in the US you can live, Cali is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies