Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
can you provide the source of your numbers for TANF?

also, why are you focusing exclusively on TANF, and ignoring all the other forms of welfare, such as SNAP, section 8, state assistance, etc?
Look it up.

Here are the stats for snap, section 8 I don't know what you mean by state assistance

In 2010, there were 308million Americans 114million American households and the US Federal budget was 3.55trillion

There are 2million families(1.75% of all families) in 2010 receiving TANF otherwise known as welfare. Total federal spending on TANF was 7billion(.197% of the federal budget). That works out to $3,500 federal dollars per YEAR per family.

WIC is literally food. It lasts until a child is 5 yrs old max, but usually ends after a year.

There were 8.9 million(2.9% of the population) on wic in 2010, those infants, toddlers, and pregnant mothers collectively received 6.6billion dollars( .186% of the federal budget)

That comes out to spending $741 per baby, infant, and pregnant mom for a YEAR.

Section 8 program has long waiting lists, a lot of places don't take the vouchers, and many of families are merely getting their rent subsidized, they pay something towards their rent.

There are 3.3million families(2.9% of families) on Section vouchers. The program in total costs 15billion dollars( .42% of the federal budget).

Food Stamps there are like 42.2million( 13.7% of the population using food stamps). The program spent 65billion(1.8% of the federal budget) in 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Again, I dont feel anyone on welfare should be having children. I would like to prevent it before it even becomes an issue. If its a 5 year program then they should be on birth control for 5 years then. WHy should tax payers pay these people to have more babies?

I have not read all the posts and it appears I may be missing a bunch of info such TANF, so I apologize.

To agree with killing them all, I am pro choice, I may not have put it as bluntly as Dale but I have no problem with abortion. Sluts...well I know not everyone one is but there is a large group of those on welfare like I said that have babies just to collect.
I don't give a damn what you feel. What relevance does your feelings have to do with reality and public policy?
You really want the government to enact policy that will impact millions of other Americans based on your feelings?

Why do conservatives and people with hateful policy ideas always want to talk about their irrational irrelevant feelings?

How do you know a large group of those on welfare are sluts? Please continue to embarrass yourself and supply an answer.

To pretend that saying kill them all is about abortion is to be a liar.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I see someone has their panties in a twist....

My feelings dont matter but yours do?? How does that work? And yes I would love the government to enact a policy that will impact millions of other Americans because I feel that my views are based on the good of society as a whole and not the needs of individual people. You lose sight of whats important if you worry about the small stuff.

My apologies...I said I agreed with the term sluts because there are people on welfare that simply have children to collect more money from the government...not only sluts but the like to mooch of the govt. I have a problem with these people and as a tax payer you should too.

There should be certain criteria in order to collect welfare thats all im saying.

Not out looking for an argument, just stating my opinion. Sorry if yours are more important than mine.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
What's so hilarious about this thread is liberals champion and screech about abortion all day long, proclaiming it to be the savior of the less fortunate.

But when a conservative comes along and says, "Sure, suck 'em all out. Makes no difference to me," the conservative is called a hater and insane.

It really doesn't get any funnier than that!

When I say the brain cells aren't connecting, this is exactly what I have in mind.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
No, thought not!

Would a pro-lifer condone mandated abortion for the jobless?

like, if they can't afford them they shouldn't have them.

No money = no kid

So abortion is the option here according to these idealists.

Will you support this though or is it just the usual vile tripe?

My view is that we all have the right to procreate, regardless of income
You have the right to procreate as long as you don't ask me/the government/society to pay for your kids! Period.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
No, thought not!

Would a pro-lifer condone mandated abortion for the jobless?

like, if they can't afford them they shouldn't have them.

No money = no kid

So abortion is the option here according to these idealists.

Will you support this though or is it just the usual vile tripe?

My view is that we all have the right to procreate, regardless of income
Lots of people have made this argument in the past but it does not work.

1. You don't get pregnant by magic. You choose to have sex. You can choose not to have sex. If you can't afford the consequences of having sex, you don't have to have it. Arguments like this one rely on a faulty premise that pregnancy is something that just happens to people, not something that they have complete control over.

2. It is not my job to subsidize the poor choices of other people. Do people who think drunk driving should be illegal bear a personal responsibility to pay all the costs of enforcing drunk driving laws? No, they do not.

3. Just because abortion solves a problem does not justify making it legal. People get their cars reposseesed when they can't afford to make their payments. We could solve that problem by just making it legal for them to commit robbery to get the money to make those payments. That's absurd. But somehow people think applying that same logic to abortion works. It doesn't. We do not justify legalizing something purely because it would help people deal with a problem. You can't deal with debt by stealing. So saying you should be allowed to get an abortion do deal with unplanned pregnancy is faulty reasoning.

Just as a general rule, any argument for making abortion legal which does not address the rights and humanity of the life being terminated by abortion is an automatic failure. Since the reasoning behind making abortion is illegal is to protect that life, any argument which is not related to why that life does not deserve protection does not address the issue.

It's like saying we need to raise taxes because the sky is blue. It does not matter whether the sky actually is blue or not, because it isn't related to taxes. No argument about abortion's effects on society is relevant, because we decide whether something is a crime or not a crime based on the action itself - based on its effects on the potential victim, not based on society at large.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
You have the right to procreate as long as you don't ask me/the government/society to pay for your kids! Period.
No matter how many times you say it, they will never get it. Note one poster referred to FREE birth control pills, without the slightest notion that someone (YOU) is paying for them. You can literally try to beat it into their empty heads, but they still go all glassy eyed and delirious when they see or hear the word FREE. Non-connecting brain cells.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't give a damn what you feel. What relevance does your feelings have to do with reality and public policy?
You really want the government to enact policy that will impact millions of other Americans based on your feelings?
Liberals do. What is or is not a "fair" share of taxes is subjective. Yet Obama campaigned on the rich paying their "fair" share. Not a certain percentage. Not something calculated based on its effects on the public at large. Nothing objective. Just what is "fair".

Quote:
Why do conservatives and people with hateful policy ideas always want to talk about their irrational irrelevant feelings?
The irony of this coming from a member of the side that wants hate speech laws, hate crimes, and affirmative action while saying their opponents "don't care about poor people", "war on women", "hate Obama because he is black", etc is just stunning. Pot and kettle.

Quote:
How do you know a large group of those on welfare are sluts? Please continue to embarrass yourself and supply an answer.
How do you you know that conservatives "always" want to talk about their "irrational" feelings? Practice what you preach. Don't call out other people for generalizing the very next sentence after you just overgeneralized yourself.

Quote:
To pretend that saying kill them all is about abortion is to be a liar.
To pretend that you know what someone else meant more than they did is to be either delusional or a liar, take your pick.

Clue for you: forced abortion is abortion. Abortion is just a medical procedure. The "choice" part is an entirely separate issue. China's forced abortion policy and the left wing's right to abortion policy are both about abortion, just different approaches to it.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No matter how many times you say it, they will never get it. Note one poster referred to FREE birth control pills, without the slightest notion that someone (YOU) is paying for them. You can literally try to beat it into their empty heads, but they still go all glassy eyed and delirious when they see or hear the word FREE. Non-connecting brain cells.
Yes, the lefties sure love the word FREE, but refuse to understand that nothing comes for free. Someone worked hard and got taxed to death so that Government could provide free stuff for those whom don't work. It is disgusting.

A good friend of mine works at a failing school in my area and it is sickening to listen to the stories the mom's tell her about "needing to have another baby so that she can get more money and can't live with any baby's daddy because then I get less money and a lesser space in the project housing." Not to mention the fact that those great mother's only get their lazy butts out of bed on 'collect the check' days. Then they proceed to discuss what they are going to do with their hair and nails. This happens EVERY month and I could go on and on with what my friend witnesses.

I have no respect for people like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies