Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

No, I am not talking about the Yellow Stone super-volcano or any other super-volcano out there, because if that ever happens, we'd be forced to step down as a species, along with everyone else, and let the earth bring in a new era of evolution...

I am just talking about a severe volcano, that happens every several hundred years...

I've asked about the decade-long drought and it seems that some were happy to say that they live in an area plentiful of water, so I thought maybe this isn't a severe enough of events to get people thinking...

...The whole argument turned into a global warming and government thing, so I figured it's time to step it up a notch.

...Historically, there aren't many things that cause wide spread chaos, besides disease, famine, and war.

...We deal with war rather well, even if it kills millions of people, and most of the time the good guys win.
...We deal with disease also rather well, because, hey, nothing you can do about it, right?

...Famine...
...We don't deal with famine so well. Famine sparks revolutions, war, migrations. Famine can kill millions of people over a few years. It can destroy ENTIRE civilizations, such as the Mayan and Anasazi civilizations.

Mainly three things cause famines:
Viruses, Droughts and Volcanoes.

Thankfully we are a bit more ready for a regional drought, but volcanoes?

Yes, we are ready for most strong volcanoes. They may shut down air traffic around the region, but it won't be the end of the world.

But what if the volcano was stronger?

We haven't seen a very strong volcano in more than several hundred years.
Such volcanoes bring in strong cooling and less light. They shorten the growing season and drastically reduce crop output.

...Across the globe.

I hope that never happens in my life time or in the life time of my children and grand children.
But it's going to happen eventually.

And it's going to affect BILLIONS of people, given that the human population continues.

Such situations are the ones that put charismatic but evil people in power. Like the Bolsheviks and Napoleon.

Many conservatives claim that the freedoms granted by the constitution must never be given up...

...But what's their plan to keep the constitution in power for when **** REALLY hits the fan? What's their plan to keep the ideas of liberty going when people are hungry and food can't be grown? How do you suggest to keep the country gripped from the grips of tyranny?

...A poster once wrote that if a rogue government grabs control of the United States, the people that pledge loyalty to that group become the new "free".

...Yet we all know what happens in these situations. A scapegoat is named and they are imprisoned and killed, despite having done nothing wrong.

...To be a good politician means not to line your pockets with money, but to uphold the principles of freedom and liberty against the powerful tyrants. After all, that's what our founding fathers were, right?

I created this thread not to discuss how people can be ready for such a serious volcano, because believe it or not it's simple: own a bunker with access to food and water for two years, because that's how long it could take the dust to settle. And many preppers are ready for that. I've created this thread to discuss the fact that conservatives have the right idea of keeping freedom, arms, and responsibility.

...Despite, historically, having many supporters of these ideas be bigoted as well.

What I am saying is, all of us need to step up our game and start making serious arguments and actually convincing the opposite side of why the CONSTITUTION is a VERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENT, and how the CULTURAL and ECONOMIC health of this nation must not fail.

Because IF it does, then liberty is LOST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
There are threats much more likely than a volcano doing that. How about some group getting their hands on a few small nukes or even dirty bombs...set one off in NY, LA, Chicago and Washington and the country would come to a grinding halt.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
A society as a whole can't prepare for something like that. I could survive a world wide event like disease but I can't survive if I can't grow food. The only people that are going to survive an event like that is the preppers, the lawless and the Mormons as long as they can protect their hoard.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Default Answer to world hunger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
No, I am not talking about the Yellow Stone super-volcano or any other super-volcano out there, because if that ever happens, we'd be forced to step down as a species, along with everyone else, and let the earth bring in a new era of evolution...

I am just talking about a severe volcano, that happens every several hundred years...

I've asked about the decade-long drought and it seems that some were happy to say that they live in an area plentiful of water, so I thought maybe this isn't a severe enough of events to get people thinking...

...The whole argument turned into a global warming and government thing, so I figured it's time to step it up a notch.

...Historically, there aren't many things that cause wide spread chaos, besides disease, famine, and war.

...We deal with war rather well, even if it kills millions of people, and most of the time the good guys win.
...We deal with disease also rather well, because, hey, nothing you can do about it, right?

...Famine...
...We don't deal with famine so well. Famine sparks revolutions, war, migrations. Famine can kill millions of people over a few years. It can destroy ENTIRE civilizations, such as the Mayan and Anasazi civilizations.

Mainly three things cause famines:
Viruses, Droughts and Volcanoes.

Thankfully we are a bit more ready for a regional drought, but volcanoes?

Yes, we are ready for most strong volcanoes. They may shut down air traffic around the region, but it won't be the end of the world.

But what if the volcano was stronger?

We haven't seen a very strong volcano in more than several hundred years.
Such volcanoes bring in strong cooling and less light. They shorten the growing season and drastically reduce crop output.

...Across the globe.

I hope that never happens in my life time or in the life time of my children and grand children.
But it's going to happen eventually.

And it's going to affect BILLIONS of people, given that the human population continues.

Such situations are the ones that put charismatic but evil people in power. Like the Bolsheviks and Napoleon.

Many conservatives claim that the freedoms granted by the constitution must never be given up...

...But what's their plan to keep the constitution in power for when **** REALLY hits the fan? What's their plan to keep the ideas of liberty going when people are hungry and food can't be grown? How do you suggest to keep the country gripped from the grips of tyranny?

...A poster once wrote that if a rogue government grabs control of the United States, the people that pledge loyalty to that group become the new "free".

...Yet we all know what happens in these situations. A scapegoat is named and they are imprisoned and killed, despite having done nothing wrong.

...To be a good politician means not to line your pockets with money, but to uphold the principles of freedom and liberty against the powerful tyrants. After all, that's what our founding fathers were, right?

I created this thread not to discuss how people can be ready for such a serious volcano, because believe it or not it's simple: own a bunker with access to food and water for two years, because that's how long it could take the dust to settle. And many preppers are ready for that. I've created this thread to discuss the fact that conservatives have the right idea of keeping freedom, arms, and responsibility.

...Despite, historically, having many supporters of these ideas be bigoted as well.

What I am saying is, all of us need to step up our game and start making serious arguments and actually convincing the opposite side of why the CONSTITUTION is a VERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENT, and how the CULTURAL and ECONOMIC health of this nation must not fail.

Because IF it does, then liberty is LOST.
Here is the answer to world hunger....

Sam Kinison World Hunger - YouTube

Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A society as a whole can't prepare for something like that. I could survive a world wide event like disease but I can't survive if I can't grow food. The only people that are going to survive an event like that is the preppers, the lawless and the Mormons as long as they can protect their hoard.
Can we trust those people to uphold the constitution, for what ever survivors of our bloodlines?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Can we trust those people to uphold the constitution, for what ever survivors of our bloodlines?
I think under such a scenario it's going to be every man(or group) for himself , the constitution and law goes out the window at least until enough people die that food becomes a non issue. I would hope at that point in time that law and order begins to be restored. Famine on the scale you're suggesting can only result in absolute chaos where only people with skills for survival, resources and capable of the most violence survive.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Alaska has 130 volcanoes and volcanic fields that have been active within the last two million years. Of those 130, 90 have been active within the last 10,000 years, and 50 of them have been active since 1760. The Alaska Volcano Observatory keeps an eye on these volcanoes.

Alaska Volcano Observatory - Activity

Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
omg... someone give me the Cliff's Notes version of that.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Is society ready for a serious volcano?

Consider this...

With days of forewarning, we weren't ready for Katrina or Sandy.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Natural disasters, like most phenomena, we have little control over. There are volcanic storms, which may be worse then a super volcano, but if all that happens we will suck it up and survive.

One, undeniable fact. Humans, along with every other species alive on this planet are the descendants of the survivors of every other natural disaster. Our odds are pretty good as a species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies