Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 04:16 PM

37,942 posts, read 17,722,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm not holding my breath, but imagine if a grassroots effort led to moderate independents winning in all open seats one election, such that neither Democrats or Republicans held a majority. What would that do to campaign finance, special interests?
Define moderate.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:00 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,525,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm not holding my breath, but imagine if a grassroots effort led to moderate independents winning in all open seats one election, such that neither Democrats or Republicans held a majority. What would that do to campaign finance, special interests?

I am a registered independent . Not sure what you consider moderate. I can go either way on many issues, for instance I am a strong environmentalist on the one hand,but do not want men in women's multi stalled restrooms or changing rooms to keep women and girls safe on the other. What does that make me?

Old 05-14-2016, 02:39 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,004,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
What does that make me?
I have and will continue to point out that now is the best time for Moderates, Independents and 3rd party supporters to set up an alternative to the big 2 at least at the state and municipal level if not regional level.

The Libertarian party looks like it has managed to make its way on all 50 state ballots.

"Mr. Trump’s landslide victory in bright-red Indiana sent #NeverTrump conservatives like Ms. Kafer into a political no-man’s land, unable to support the Republican nominee, uneasy with Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, but also unwilling to sit out the 2016 election.

The result has been a surge this week in Libertarian Party registrations along with calls for a third-party ticket and write-in campaigns as the suddenly homeless Republicans cast about for a soft landing spot in the rapidly shifting political landscape.

“The party is at a split right now and I don’t know which direction it’s going to go. Is it going to go big-government authoritarian, or is it going to go liberty-and-reformist?” said Ms. Kafer."

Washington Times: Libertarians court #NeverTrump Republicans as Trump nomination looms

Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 AM

1,100 posts, read 627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Define moderate.
This is the key question....that is answered differently, depending on where one falls on the political spectrum. I consider myself an independent/moderate - but depending what issue we're talking about, liberals/progressives call me conservative and conservatives call me a liberal/progressive.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
This is the key question....that is answered differently, depending on where one falls on the political spectrum. I consider myself an independent/moderate - but depending what issue we're talking about, liberals/progressives call me conservative and conservatives call me a liberal/progressive.
If you don't feel like the big 2 represent you, then you're not alone.

The Baltimore Sun: Trump and CLinton are not your only options.

I'd also like to point out that I don't think the Libertarian party is done with its primary, though the media makes it seem that way by focusing on only one candidate. There are also other 3rd parties out there.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:33 PM

Just want to wish my fellow Americans a happy and hearty holiday weekend.

As I point out I have my criticisms on policy and ideology, but I also understand that it is the culture and value system of the Laboring Class of Free American Women & Men that allows me to express my thoughts and opinions.

There are few people in this world that holds that value and even fewer who work as hard to maintain them, so again I wish my fellow Americans a beautiful weekend.

Berlin - Take My Breath Away

Old 06-08-2016, 04:04 PM

The campaign might be nearing completion as July nears but the movement that has been brought into existence by the Sanders campaign has just gotten started.

Yet, there are other players afoot, Jill Stein of the Greens being one of them.

"Stein, who was also the Green Party's 2012 nominee, said she viewed Sanders as a kindred revolutionary, battling the political establishment. She called Clinton's path to the nomination "a coronation" aided by the media and the Democratic Party.

Stein said that although Clinton and news organizations -- including CNN -- had declared her the presumptive Democratic nominee, it was up to Sanders' supporters not to accept that as the end of their movement.

She called Clinton's path to the nomination "a coronation" aided by the media and the Democratic Party.

Stein said her campaign had no particular outreach plans set for Sanders' voters because she wanted to be "respectful of the Sanders campaign and his supporters."

CNN International: Green Party's Jill Stein to Sanders fans: 'There's a plan B here'

Old 10-08-2016, 01:52 PM

Many Americans today probably don't know this but the namesake of the modern Libertarian party was the Liberty Party, and before the Republicans became the party of Lincoln, the Liberty Party was the party of Frederick Douglas.

As a young man Douglas lived in a very rigid 2 tiered caste system. On one hand he could never accept the dominion over him of his massah and probable father, and on the other he could not passively accept the fate for himself of his slave mother.

Neither could he turn to others who were enslaved. Their crab in a bucket predilection was legendary, if he stuck his hand out to them, they would bite it off and eat it. Nor could he look to the freedmen and the yeomen, since they were just as bad as the slaves. Slaves and dependents often ape the massah.

And thus, he decided to take a gamble and hustle his way up north where eventually he accepted and embraced the CULTURE AND VALUE SYSTEM OF LABORING FREE AMERICAN WOMEN AND MEN (and they took him in as a member of the tribe as well). Douglas therefore got to know and become close colleagues with the likes of John Brown; advocated for the Suffrage movement; was against the imperialism south of the border; disapproved of the Coolie trade; and was against colonization (he had enough of a headache dealing with the plantation culture in his own society, he sure as hell didn't want to see that nonsense spread around the globe).

A word to the wise for what's going on today, he eventually left the Liberty Party to go with the Radical Republicans, but they were eventually melted away into the Republicans. Douglas was also against another 3rd party and movement and we all know what lay in store afterwards.

Still that legacy has not completely died out.

One of the things that makes the U.S.A. exceptional is THE RECOGNITION AND RESPECT FOR THE RIGHTS (PROPERTY OR OTHERWISE) OF THE INDIVIDUAL CITIZEN EVEN AGAINST FAMILY/CLAN OR TRIBE AND STATE.

Although some may not choose to officially in the Libertarian Party, they may be excellent educators, orators and philosophers of Libertarian values and principles.

Obama's Comment "Embrace your blackness" Scrutinized by Kmele Foster

Mr. Foster probably knows that he needs to work with those in the Libertarian and broader civil liberties community ,especially the up and coming generations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Frankly the above statement seems quite fascist and totalitarian in and of itself.

This is why Moderates, Independents and 3rd party supporters are so important. They need to channel their inner Connors.

[hulu=http://www.flickr.com/photos/710324]1w8Xsz14-Pykf6HU3tfzDg[/hulu]the rifleman young englishman[/url]
Quote:
Some sage advice courtesy of Dr. Ron Paul.

Once again, you can't go in a crowded movie theater, shout fire and cry "Freedom of Speech".

There is separation of powers but there is also RULE OF LAW.

Ron Paul 2nd Amendment 1989 [Rare]

Quote:
Once again, irregardless if you agree with him or not, this cat sticks to his guns.

Dr. Ron Paul speaking his mind on foreign policy.

Ron Paul : on Illegal Syria War Terror Blowback

Moderates, Independents, 3rd party supporters and the Movement Formerly Known as the Sanderistas, whether they would publicly acknowledge it or not have benefited from the labor of Dr. Ron Paul and those of his movement. He has consistently stuck to his principles for decades while being exposed to much humiliation and disrespect by the political establishment and their media outlets and other powers that be. One doesn't have to agree with everything he says and does but I think even his ideological opponents will at least privately admit to a grudging respect for the man.

He is also doing important work, probably the most of his career, working with the up and coming Liberty generations.

"The first presidential rally I ever attended was in New Hampshire during Ron Paul’s 2012 presidential campaign. I’ll never forget walking into a jam-packed auditorium full of 20-somethings gripping Paul signs and chanting “REVOLUTION!” The energy in the room was electric, and the passion was contagious. When Paul, then 77, finally walked out on the stage, the cheers were deafening — it was as if a rock star had entered the room."

The Hill: What Ron Paul can teach Republicans about millennials
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More info on Diane Humetewa who seem want to be the 1st Aboriginal Justice of the Supreme Court.

"U.S. District Court Judge Diane Humetewa, Hopi, contrasted the federal court system, which Porter described as essentially destructive, pitting people against each other, with the Hopi tribal court system. Even though the Hopi courts were set up by the BIA and there remain traditionalists who do not recognize their legitimacy, as a judge in those courts, Humetewa said she had to “balance tradition and custom, to think beyond the individual claim to the impact of a ruling on the village and the tribe as a whole. In federal court you only focus on the case in front of you, the individual’s rights and claims.” Tribal judging, she said, is much more nuanced and complex. "

Indian Country Today News: US Legal System A Weapon Against Native Peoples

Old 10-26-2016, 02:17 PM

This is for the Movement Formerly Known As the Sanderistas.

You guys have been amazing and whether you have chosen to work from within the establishment system or outside, I truly hope you cats DON'T MELT AWAY, JUST DON'T.

The Divergent Series: Insurgent Official Teaser Trailer – ‘Defy Reality’

Old 11-18-2016, 10:54 AM

If you guys thought what happened at the convention was a blow to the Constitutional right of the expression of dissent, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Quote:
Net neutrality could be on the chopping block.

Many areas of the country are able to access the internet through only one or two providers, giving those ISPs a monopoly or duopoly over what has become the lifeblood communications medium. The FCC and net neutrality proponents viewed the regulations as anti-competitive. When the FCC passed the net neutrality regulations along with the consumer privacy rules they encompass, there was strong opposition from Republicans.

Donald Trump is likely to appoint an FCC head with similar negative net neutrality views. Conservatives in Congress are expected to leap at the first chance to get rid of net neutrality.
Fox News: Net neutrality in jeopardy with a Trump administration and Republican Congress

Quote:
A probable target of the next Republican Congress and a Trump FCC will be the Open Internet Order (also known as Net Neutrality), which Chairman Tom Wheeler and the Democratic-majority FCC pushed through in 2015 over the outspoken opposition of the two Republican FCC commissioners and the Republican congressional majority. Conservatives argue that Net Neutrality rules, aimed at increasing transparency and prohibiting discrimination and paid prioritization by Internet providers, are unduly convoluted and thereby discourage capital investment and growth.

There will undoubtedly be a concerted push early in the Trump Administration to repeal or mitigate those rules, which allow the FCC to regulate Internet Service Providers (ISPs) on the grounds that they are “common carriers.”

Such trade groups as the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association and the U.S. Telecom Association, both of which represent big carriers, will redouble their efforts to see Net Neutrality eliminated – and they won’t be reticent about expending resources.

The new administration’s approach to tech and telecom policy may not get the attention of health care or energy or defense, but it may prove to be every bit as important.
Forbes: The Trump Presidency: Outlook For The Technology And Telecommunications Industries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies