Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm not holding my breath, but imagine if a grassroots effort led to moderate independents winning in all open seats one election, such that neither Democrats or Republicans held a majority. What would that do to campaign finance, special interests?
That would be refreshing.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Are there any moderate independents on this board?
Yes.

[]

Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post

Independent is someone who doesn't support either the Republicans or Democrats, and a moderate is someone who is willing to compromise on issues and doesn't take a hard stance whether right or left.
I resemble ^ remark.

I have zero, zip, nada, loyalty to any party.
I appreciate balance and compromise.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who was the last Republican you voted for?
I bet money, you didn't even vote for now Democrat Cristi.
And this kind of "you're a RINO" thing is why a good chunk of moderate independents are former moderate R's. They've ditched any loyalty to the party.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The only people who use that term are supposed Independents that always vote Republican. They may not claim a party membership, but they listen to a lot of talk radio, read terrible blogs as news sources and never, ever, ever vote D.
I disagree. You're right that "constitutionalists" are often independents, but they don't call themselves moderates--they call themselves really conservative.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
I'm not holding my breath, but imagine if a grassroots effort led to moderate independents winning in all open seats one election, such that neither Democrats or Republicans held a majority. What would that do to campaign finance, special interests?
Both the major parties have always been madeup of speical interest groups .They createde the aprties. Same as mnay smaller parties are made up of one or more speical interest. As to what is moderate.Certain not the two majoe parties form the past. just generally lokig at both i the past they would now be considered preety far tot eh right of center by what they actauly did when in office.even clinto said that in his time the US was a rioght of center majority and thus said you can not govera form the left.Itsd based on you have to have consent of the governed to actually govern effectively.That is why a supore majority that has no support form a near mnority is doomed to creat only continuing conflact and wha= polirics is defined as the art of compromise.Take for examle the new healthcare law veus Bush's medicaire prescritption drug bill. The latter was a comprmise which gather support from both aprties and votes. Its not really that continous a issue now. The healthcare law had no in put allow i comitte by apponents and now is.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
hello

Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Independant and moderate are two different things as Independents tend to vote Republican while moderates tend to vote Democratic. Moderate tends to mean someone who is moderate. Independent sometimes means someone who thinks the GOP is full of sellouts and liberals.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/res...ent#exit-polls

Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Independant and moderate are two different things as Independents tend to vote Republican while moderates tend to vote Democratic. Moderate tends to mean someone who is moderate. Independent sometimes means someone who thinks the GOP is full of sellouts and liberals.

Presidential Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
That's really a matter of how you define the two. Many see them more or less the same.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are hard right or hard left if your positions on issues are defined by the party. Look around on this board, and you will see a lot of people who side with the party line 100% of the time. If a new issues comes up, they will say nothing until they hear what the party line is, and then they defend that view to tooth and nail. That mentality demonstrates complete inability to think for oneself. Typically an independent can support viewpoints from either side. For example, an independent can freely admit being pro-life, and anti-gun at the same time, where a hard right/left person could never do that.
So i could call myself a moderate independent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies