Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So i could call myself a moderate independent
Which viewpoints do you support from the Democrat side?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Which viewpoints do you support from the Democrat side?
Anti Death penalty , pro civil union pro legalization of all drugs

Old 03-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
OK. Those are issues which get support from both sides, but mostly from Dems, so I guess there is a liberal bone in you after all. The pro-gay stance is worth 10 points, so it is as good as five other issues put together.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Quote:
It does not surprise me.
I would not even be surprised if the number of Independents and Moderates soon hits the 50% mark.

Indeed, these are interesting times.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
That's really a matter of how you define the two. Many see them more or less the same.
Exit polls don't lie. Moderates went to Obama 56-41% while Independents went 50-45% for Romney. Independent just means you don't affiliate with a party you can be bat**** insane and be independent. Moderates are often not independent they just tend to be more in the middle between left and right.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Exit polls don't lie. Moderates went to Obama 56-41% while Independents went 50-45% for Romney. Independent just means you don't affiliate with a party you can be bat**** insane and be independent. Moderates are often not independent they just tend to be more in the middle between left and right.
Many independents are just Republicans or Democrats who can't quite admit to themselves they are Democrats or Republicans

Old 03-08-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll buy that.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Many independents are just Republicans or Democrats who can't quite admit to themselves they are Democrats or Republicans
If your stance on issues is 50/50 then why should you identify with either party. Party affiliation is like an iron ball. A lot of people pretend to support some issues because they think they should do so because their party support them.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
I am all of those things and consider myself a right wing conservative.

You can say "I like this from the left" and "I like this from the right" but the two sides have fundamental philosophies. Public sector versus private sector. Federal versus state. Interpretation of the constitution. So to my way of thinking, in order to be a moderate independent then you have to have no opinion on those basic issues. If you do, then you aren't independent.

I don't want people executed by the state. I want gay people to marry if they want to. I want people to smoke marijuana if they want to. But I also want strict interpretation of the constitution. The first three are positions on specific issues, but that last one is fundamental to how the country operates. It sets my teeth on edge when people start talking about how great an idea would be with not a care in the world of whether the constitution actually allows it. I will never, ever support a President who says "If Congress doesn't act, then I will". No, the things that Congress has jurisdiction over, you don't act on. Ever. Period. That's the separation of powers and that's how this nation works. Even if you're acting to do something I agree with, you have no authority to act on legislative matters at all. Dictators make law. Not the American President. That's what we have elected representatives for. So I am right wing. Because while I agree with the left on issues, I agree with the right on philosophy.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Independant and moderate are two different things as Independents tend to vote Republican while moderates tend to vote Democratic. Moderate tends to mean someone who is moderate. Independent sometimes means someone who thinks the GOP is full of sellouts and liberals.

Presidential Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
Quote:
That's really a matter of how you define the two. Many see them more or less the same.
I've always seen independent defined as a lack of political party--you aren't a republican or a democrat, or a libertarian, or in the Green Party. Moderate is a measure of your political views--you lean toward the middle. You can be a moderate and belong to any political party that has a middle faction (like the D's and what used to be the R's), or be independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies