Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 02:45 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

I consider myself a moderate independent as well and would support an independent candidate for office. I have voted both Dem and Republican and for independents before.

In another era, I would be a conservative and a republican back when they were actually progressive and really believed in keeping government out of people's every day lives (which is why I have no qualms with gay marriage, abortion, or any other personal life decision or activity that one engages in that does not infringe upon the right of already born, breathing people. I am also an atheist and have no issues with religious people either, nor would I attempt to force a church to perform gay marriage ceremonies if they didn't want to based on their religion because I am big on respecting the faith or lack of faith of others to a point).

Mostly I lean left on social issues but I am for investing in our infrastructure as a nation and feel that Eisenhower's creation of our modern highway system as a spur for investment in our country that promotes job growth is a good thing. But I am also pseudo-environmentalist in my left leaning and I do believe that global warming is real and I do feel that the EPA is a necessary part of our government.

I do not support Libertarianism because I think it is the polar opposite of communism and that both of those system can look good on paper but not pan out well in reality. I take a balanced approach in regards to governing, let people live their lives, let the government oversee issues of vital importance on national issues, which to me include environmental, military defense (I am for a strong but not overly funded military), and education oversight (I would support a voucher system though but couple that with sweeping reforms to our current education system which would include a longer school year, more certification/standards/support/money for teachers, basically make teachers an esteemed profession and extremely high expectations for all students, could go on about education but would take up too much space).

I would also support my one true liberal stance which would be a universal healthcare option. I do feel Obamacare is a start but that it does not go far enough. A universal option would be better for businesses since they would not have the burden of paying for healthcare for their employees and it would lower costs in the healthcare industry. I would still allow private plans but would seek to overhaul our current system to provide via taxes a universal healthcare option. I think it is the best option for all our citizens, no matter what sort of bias they have against it due to the wacky media they read. If "socialized" medicine were so bad our seniors wouldn't be in the best health that people in their age group have been in, in forever basically in this country. Medicare takes good care of our seniors. Medicaid takes good care of the poor. Expanding those options to be the primary way to get medical care would be in the best interest of our country as a nation IMO.

On the whole, I like the republicans of old. They have gotten way to extreme for my taste and in a way the Dems today are more like 1950s/1960s GOPers than the GOP is. They are just morphed into some crazy right wing, overly religious, intrusive monster IMO and I feel bad for regular conservatives/Republicans who have been lumped together with them due to their former following of the GOP platform back when the GOP was sane.

Dems I feel have their own issues but are more moderate now-a-days than they were in days gone by. They were also way too crazy for a while to in the 70s and 80s especially and learned to live in the middle, something that the GOP needs to come back to. I live in the south currently and luckily even though our governor is a GOPer (of course) he isn't a Tea Partier and I will vote for him the GOP primary over the other Tea Party Republican candidates because I don't support fringe groups on either side. Both extreme lefties and righties are nuts to me and I cannot stomach them.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:49 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
We need to just do away with a lot of things and that is EVERYONE in the white house. We need some young fresh blood that have some real skills , ideas, and actually care about helping the people in this country not parting with the super ELITE that run this country. Both parties left and right play for the ELITE, they just try to look like a lesser evil then each other.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I guess I could be classified as "independent"..........I cannot stand either party for the most part.

I am very liberal on some issues and very right-wing on other issues.

When angry Libs try to pin me down, they try and paint me as a Republican, Bush-loving Nazi. When I tell them that I think the country is screwed and I feel BOTH parties are to blame..........corrupt, insane and power mad.........they try and talk me out of that POV by positing "IF THE DEMS HAD MORE CONTROL, IT WOULD ALL BE PUPPY-DOGS AND ROSES".

LMFAO, both parties are scum and I think for myself.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Moderates and Independents, now more than ever I feel there is a definite need for a 3rd party political force capable of putting the fear of God into the establishment of the duopoly system.

Their media outlets may have some of the people convinced that the source of their problems are some faraway "Others" but I believe perhaps its time to look closer to home.

I'll give a clue that both places have "w" as the first letter and "a" as the 2nd.

Dealing with one world gubbermint imperialists is not an easy task.

Channel your inner Connor. Some people just have no choice but to stand up to bullies who can't keep their hands to themselves.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 909,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm not holding my breath, but imagine if a grassroots effort led to moderate independents winning in all open seats one election, such that neither Democrats or Republicans held a majority. What would that do to campaign finance, special interests?
I would love that to happen.

I consider myself just a common sense guy and I owe allegiance to no one but my conscience.
I am more fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

I think most people are this way but 9/10 times both parties are spend-aholics and cut the things that we need most and raise taxes in the worst places possible.

therefore neither should be in power.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:30 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Moderates and Independents, now more than ever I feel there is a definite need for a 3rd party political force capable of putting the fear of God into the establishment of the duopoly system.

Their media outlets may have some of the people convinced that the source of their problems are some faraway "Others" but I believe perhaps its time to look closer to home.

I'll give a clue that both places have "w" as the first letter and "a" as the 2nd.

Dealing with one world gubbermint imperialists is not an easy task.

Channel your inner Connor. Some people just have no choice but to stand up to bullies who can't keep their hands to themselves.

What political position makes one an independent moderate?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 909,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I tend to think of myself as Libertarian-ish. But I really do consider myself Independent. I can swing in any direction. And I get very annoyed when people think Indi=Libertarian=Republican because that is baloney. The Tea Party has no business using the word Libertarian, they don't know what it means. Because the social issues do matter, and a Libertarian is more liberal on social matters, wanting more freedoms for people to make choices, and less government interference, wheras it's a Republican thing to want a government that preaches such things as drug policy and "one man, one woman." Although some people align R because they feel that the fiscal matters are more significant to them, does not mean that the social issues should be entirely disregarded. And frankly I think that Republican and Democrat politicians are equally parasitical and we need a new class of politicians.

In my past I've voted R, and I've voted D, and in the present I will never vote for either of them again, if there is a third party I can get behind, I will. If not, I just won't vote.

As far as the issues go:

LEFT
gay rights
drug policy
separation of church & state

RIGHT
guns
states' rights
the sanctity of the constitution
death penalty

MIDDLE/NEITHER/UNDECIDED/IT DEPENDS
taxes/"entitlements"
abortion (I am both pro-life and pro-choice. I think it should be an individual right to choose, even though I think it's awful and would never do it personally. I am not the uterus police.)
regulation of business (I don't trust big biz OR big gov.)

Some of these issues, I can see what's broken but I have no idea how it could feasibly be fixed. I don't assume I have all the answers. But I'm pretty sure most politicians don't, either.
here is my list:

left:
do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt other people
innovation-creativity

right:
stop wasting resources and save money
efficiency efficiency efficiency
defending the Constitution

entitlements: either give it to everyone at once or do not bother at all.
universal entitlements for all citizens if you are going to do it otherwise it's playing favorites thus repeal them. no one can complain then.

abortion: it is still a life but if you choose to do it realize that you are still killing someone/thing don't make excuses just face the fact that you killed a life and accept it. If you need to because of medical conditions then so be it you have justification, just do not put it so lightly. It is still your body though.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
What political position makes one an independent moderate?
I personally define Independents as the voting electorate who are not registered to the big 2 and Moderates as those who may or may not be registered with the big 2 but are not hardcore partisans, and I leave it at that.

Others may define the terms differently.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:42 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I personally define Independents as the voting electorate who are not registered to the big 2 and Moderates as those who may or may not be registered with the big 2 but are not hardcore partisans, and I leave it at that.

Others my define the terms differently.
If they are voting for one of the big 2 hey re not independent

Old 06-12-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
If they are voting for one of the big 2 hey re not independent
Like I said, others may define the terms differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies