Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

God forbid that he brought a toy soldier to class.Idots preaching the same ole theme to solve what is a people problem of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
sorry, I simply don't see any humor in this story.
except for the fact that it came from FOX news, and all the anti-FOX people didn't pick up on it. Now, THAT is FUNNY!
After all, it happened in Baltimore. From where I sit, it would seem to be the norm for that area!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
God forbid that he brought a toy soldier to class.Idots preaching the same ole theme to solve what is a people problem of violence.
Or a picture of George Washington with a bayonet.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i hadn't really given it much thought, but biting a pastry into a vague gun shape is certainly worlds away from anything that would qualify.
If he chews it into a gun shape and goes around "ptchoo ptchoo" ing at his classmates, is that glorifying gun violence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
The better questions is, do you think imaginary shapes that do not resemble a gun is gloryfiying gun violence?

I mean, I have not seen this "gun look-a-like" pastry, was it in the article?

I think we should suspend anyone who writes the #7, I mean you turn the paper a certian way and BAMmmmm you gotta gun....looking sorta thingy....right?
Like I said earlier, I don't buy into this nonsense of our kids problem is the glorification of violence. That's a GOP talking point. However, you're going to say kids playing video games where they shoot people = a gun violence problem, then the same argument holds true where a kid has a pretend gun and goes around pretending to shoot people. You can't have it both ways: complain about glorification and also get up in arms when a school disciplines a kid for that glorification.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If he chews it into a gun shape and goes around "ptchoo ptchoo" ing at his classmates, is that glorifying gun violence?.
Did he do that?

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I don't buy into this nonsense of our kids problem is the glorification of violence. That's a GOP talking point. However, you're going to say kids playing video games where they shoot people = a gun violence problem, then the same argument holds true where a kid has a pretend gun and goes around pretending to shoot people. You can't have it both ways: complain about glorification and also get up in arms when a school disciplines a kid for that glorification.
There is a difference when a teacher thinks a pop-tart is a gun and a person who has a plastic gun going around pointing it at people.

Again, have you seen this gun shaped pop-tart?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Did he do that?

There is a difference when a teacher thinks a pop-tart is a gun and a person who has a plastic gun going around pointing it at people.

Again, have you seen this gun shaped pop-tart?
I don't know the details of what happened. I'd have a hard time believing that the teacher saw the L-shaped pastry and leaped to the conclusion that it must be a gun instead of an L-shaped pastry, but I don't really care. If the teacher saw it as something inappropriate and the school took measures to deal w/ it, then why are Conservatives mad? Isn't this a step to curb the glorification of gun violence they said is the real cause of our problems w/ youth?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
I don't know the details of what happened. I'd have a hard time believing that the teacher saw the L-shaped pastry and leaped to the conclusion that it must be a gun instead of an L-shaped pastry, but I don't really care. If the teacher saw it as something inappropriate and the school took measures to deal w/ it, then why are Conservatives mad? Isn't this a step to curb the glorification of gun violence they said is the real cause of our problems w/ youth?
Well since you are just leaping to conclusions based on nothing but personnal belief...

I think the teacher was a leftit liberal gun hater, who hated that child. This child who stated "I treid to make it look like a mountain" but I guess it did not....

Like I said before, we should get rid of the #7 in school, because you never know when a child is going to run around with a #7 drawn on a price of paper turned sideways going bang gota ya.....bang got ya...

Do you not see the absurb logic you are attempting to use?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
If he chews it into a gun shape and goes around "ptchoo ptchoo" ing at his classmates, is that glorifying gun violence?
is that what happened?

if so, no, i do not agree that saying 'ptchoo ptchoo' while holding an L-shaped chewed-on pop-tart is even remotely related to 'glorifying gun violence.'

what part of that would you have found violent?

Quote:
you are the only one here insisting that this chewed-on pop-tart is the epitome of gun violence glorification.

no conservative is.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Well since you are just leaping to conclusions based on nothing but personnal belief...

I think the teacher was a leftit liberal gun hater, who hated that child. This child who stated "I treid to make it look like a mountain" but I guess it did not....

Like I said before, we should get rid of the #7 in school, because you never know when a child is going to run around with a #7 drawn on a price of paper turned sideways going bang gota ya.....bang got ya...

Do you not see the absurb logic you are attempting to use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
is that what happened?

if so, no, i do not agree that saying 'ptchoo ptchoo' while holding an L-shaped chewed-on pop-tart is even remotely related to 'glorifying gun violence.'

what part of that would you have found violent?

you are the only one here insisting that this chewed-on pop-tart is the epitome of gun violence glorification.

no conservative is.
It's a simple logical progression.

Conservatives have been arguing that gun violence is rooted in the exposure to violent video games (well... since Aurora...).

If Conservatives believe that playing a character that's shooting imaginary things on a screen is glorifying gun violence, they must also believe that running around w/ your friends doing the same thing is glorifying gun violence.

If Conservatives believe that running around pretending to shoot guns is glorifying violence, why is unbelievable that schools would just go to the source and have a zero-tolerance policy toward toy guns?

This is the end-game to you complaining about there not enough being done to combat violence in kids. You looked for a substitute to blaming guns, you got it. This is the result. Bask in your successes...

Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
These schools are going too far.
Wow, lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies