Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I am not a liberal and subscribe to none of their polices. So you can poke that voodoo doll all you like and it will not change the fact they you did not address the point. Do you always pay this much attention? I just described the source of endless babbling between the stooges on the right and left as they bicker without the established premise of what is poverty and financial poverty. But by all means keep loving yourself.

You think you offer insight being against the welfare state? gee that's hard to figure out.
Poverty vs. financial poverty? What the heck is the difference?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Keep rambling incoherently. People will see you for what you are. Fannie, Freddie, GNMA, and the FIRE sector do nothing for me.

Do you own real estate?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Kinda reminds me of all the Southern claims how the slaves were so much better off on the plantations, because they were fed every day, taken care of, had a roof over their heads, etc!

Or like Barbara Bush's comments about all the Katrina refugees packed cheek-to-jowl in the Astrodome, "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them!"
While the liberals "help" the poor by sending them a check each month, doing nothing but enabling them to exist in a permanent state of poverty. Then say that Republicans "hate" the poor for wanting them to get skills and jobs and become upwardly mobile.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Poverty vs. financial poverty? What the heck is the difference?
Well the first thing to do is to find out what financial means.

Security Definition | Investopedia
Definition of 'Security'

A financial instrument that represents: an ownership position in a publicly-traded corporation (stock), a creditor relationship with governmental body or a corporation (bond), or rights to ownership as represented by an option. A security is a fungible, negotiable financial instrument that represents some type of financial value. The company or entity that issues the security is known as the issuer.

For example, the issuer of a bond issue may be a municipal government raising funds for a particular project. Investors of securities may be retail investors - those who buy and sell securities on their own behalf and not for an organization - and wholesale investors - financial institutions acting on behalf of clients or acting on their own account. Institutional investors include investment banks, pension funds, managed funds and insuran

North America is full of assets. If the banking records were destroyed there would be no record of ownership which is the liability side of the asset to secure it. There would be no financial wealth. Its really a debt instrument.

If I had in my possession 1 lb of rhodium I would have no financial wealth. I would have an asset in my personal possession. I would be wealthy. The poor in the West have a degree of material wealth.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Out of curiosity, is a person that makes $10.00/hr. for 40 hours a week, and pays half of their salary on rent alone considered to be poor? I know several people that live in Houston right now that are living that very life and are told that they either make too much for assistance or are given very little, like one woman I know, for example, works for $11.00/hr and is a single mother. She was offered $40/mo. food stamps.

Is barely scraping by, having utilities getting shut off, and sometimes not eating considered to be anything other than poor?

Or is the definition "Something that has absolutely NOTHING."

Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I don't think you know what wealth means. If you are getting poorer, then wealth is not being transferred to you. Likewise, if you are getting rich, wealth is not being transferred out of you.
And your message illustrates my point. The entire concept is a word game, not reality. The problem here isn't my understanding of wealth, it's your acceptance of the "rich getting richer, poor getting poorer" phrase.

Also, "if you are getting rich, wealth is not being transferred out of you" is wrong. If you gain $2, and someone takes $1, then you have still gained $1 and $1 has still been transferred away. It is gross versus net, revenue vs profit.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 03-05-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
While the liberals "help" the poor by sending them a check each month, doing nothing but enabling them to exist in a permanent state of poverty. Then say that Republicans "hate" the poor for wanting them to get skills and jobs and become upwardly mobile.
Out of curiosity, who pays for the poor to get the skills to obtain a job and become upwardly mobile?

Sounds like a "liberal handout" to me...

Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Do you own real estate?
A little. Only my home. It's not my primary means of wealth.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:22 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yep. But notice how few have caught on to that.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A little. Only my home. It's not my primary means of wealth.
Then that transfered wealth to us both.

Where is your wealth? Benny transfered some to my stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies