Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does greater wealth/income equal greater intelligence
Yes, but it doesn't apply to me 5 20.00%
No 20 80.00%
Yes, but this doesn't apply to me, I'm the exception 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times

Advertisements

Does making more money equal greater intelligence?

If so, does that rule apply to you. Are people who earn more than you or have more wealth than you smarter than you??

Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post

If so, does that rule apply to you. Are people who earn more than you or have more wealth than you smarter than you??
As usual, a grossly 2 dimensional view of a complex issue with one foot already in the grave of partisan bickering as you are clearly pushing an agenda.

Generally speaking though the average prisoner tends to have a lower IQ and you don't find many people of "average" intelligence working in typically higher paying professions like medicine etc.

However, you used the definition "wealth" and not income which then brings things like inheritance into the picture and of course any lunk that happens to win the lottery or just be good looking and marry into it.

Then you get into all the jobs and professions that do not require intelligence per se. I make a lot less than NBA players but most of them are less intelligent than I am....ditto for many actors or entertainers....but again those are the exceptional few.

So yeah, for the most part richer people do tend to be smarter than the average Joe Blow on the street. Think back on your highschool class and while there are exceptions....generally the smarter kids have done better in life economically.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As usual, a grossly 2 dimensional view of a complex issue with one foot already in the grave of partisan bickering as you are clearly pushing an agenda.

Generally speaking though the average prisoner tends to have a lower IQ and you don't find many people of "average" intelligence working in typically higher paying professions like medicine etc.

However, you used the definition "wealth" and not income which then brings things like inheritance into the picture and of course any lunk that happens to win the lottery or just be good looking and marry into it.

Then you get into all the jobs and professions that do not require intelligence per se. I make a lot less than NBA players but most of them are less intelligent than I am....ditto for many actors or entertainers....but again those are the exceptional few.

So yeah, for the most part richer people do tend to be smarter than the average Joe Blow on the street. Think back on your highschool class and while there are exceptions....generally the smarter kids have done better in life economically.
Is the average rich person smarter than you??

Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Yes. The wealthy people I know tend to be smarter than me. I also know at least one person who is smarter than me (book smart) and on full government assistance by choice.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
I'm sure there's some correlation, except in cases of inherited wealth (Paris Hilton is not the sharpest tool in the shed) but I have a hard time believing that an average CEO is 280 times smarter or harder-working than an average wage-earner.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Sometimes.

Quote:

Some are. The vast majority are more ambitious, regardless of intelligence.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
In general yes. Next question.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
In general yes. Next question.
Yes to which queston? It was two fold. Are your neighbors, friends, co-workers who make more money than you smarter than you? Generally speaking of course.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:

Regardless of what we believe, IQ has a positive correlation to income. My opinion on the subject does not change anything.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Unanswerable question based upon your providing of too few parameters and of course definitions of "rich".

I'm happy to keep playing though, please clean up your question and try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies