Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times

Advertisements

Nope, the link said he got out of his truck to look at the street sign.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nope, the link said he got out of his truck to look at the street sign.
Is that link to the police report?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Don't know. Lot of links though. Google them.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Don't know. Lot of links though. Google them.
I'd rather not, if it hasn't been released by the police department or if it's not the autopsy report it doesn't really matter to me.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
And what convictions does George Zimmerman have on his?
He has an arrest record for resisting arrest with violence and battery of a law enforcement officer; charges were changed, I'm guessing this was a negotiation between defense and prosecutor, and his punishment was going to an alcohol rehabilitation type program.

He has a record of domestic violence in which a restraining order was issued.

He was charged with speeding, but, because of a technicality (the LEO did not show up to court) it was dropped.

I'm wondering if his record is the reason he could not get a job as a police officer.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I'd rather not, if it hasn't been released by the police department or if it's not the autopsy report it doesn't really matter to me.
Are you aware that the court file in this case is open to the public online and that it contains almost all of the discovery information provided by both sides? The evidence used at the trial will be taken from that discovery information submitted by both sides. You can look in the court file for all the reports turned over by the police.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
He has an arrest record for resisting arrest with violence and battery of a law enforcement officer; charges were changed, I'm guessing this was a negotiation between defense and prosecutor, and his punishment was going to an alcohol rehabilitation type program.

He has a record of domestic violence in which a restraining order was issued.

He was charged with speeding, but, because of a technicality (the LEO did not show up to court) it was dropped.

I'm wondering if his record is the reason he could not get a job as a police officer.
In other words he doesn't have any sort of criminal record either, thanks.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Are you aware that the court file in this case is open to the public online and that it contains almost all of the discovery information provided by both sides? The evidence used at the trial will be taken from that discovery information submitted by both sides. You can look in the court file for all the reports turned over by the police.
I've read every bit of it, all I'm saying is I'm not paying attention to blogs where people are giving their opinions on this case. The court file is filled with facts, unlike a lot of the biased reports you see floating around the web including this forum.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Because it doesn't make sense at all. If you plan to stalk and attack someone for no reason other than wanting to kill someone (as some of you believe GZ did) and you're carrying a gun why would you wait until you're on your back getting the snot beaten out of you before you shoot?

Why not just run up and shoot Trayvon and claim self defense? Do you guys really believe that GZ is smart enough to create this huge plan just to frame some 17 year old thug?
What does it take for you to understand that "intent" can be formed in just a few seconds? And what does it take to help you stop coming to these rather absurd conclusions, like GZ planned to kill Trayvon from the start. I have not seen anyone post that GZ followed Trayvon from the start with the intent to kill him. However, Zimmerman quickly got in over his head because he had NO EXPERIENCE AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. AGAIN, it certainly appears that GZ's intention was really to be a "hero" and "save" the neighborhood from a black kid that he (Zimmerman) assumed was there to rob the place, as well as appear to be a "hero" to the police......therefore, in the middle of heading out to the store, he sees the kid, interrupts his trip to the store to follow the kid. I don't think for a minute that initially Zimmerman intended to kill Trayvon, yet I do think that Zimmerman was relying on his gun if things got difficult, and when they did, Zimmerman quickly decided to use his gun. MAYBE what happened with Zimmerman is WHY neighborhood watch programs tell their volunteers to NOT CARRY A GUN. Zimmerman had no law enforcement training or experience in stopping people for any reason. Yet, there he was following, or tracking, this kid, carrying a gun, calling the police, and CLEARLY not taking their suggestions seriously as they gave them to him. The guy was a TRAGEDY waiting to happen.....no....looking for a place to happen.

To me it comes down to whether or not a person can instigate a fight with someone else, and then shoot and kill that person when they discover they are in too deep. I think that's what this trial is about. In fact, that's the kind of setup you are suggesting would have been the smarter thing for Zimmerman to do if he wanted to kill Martin. I know. I know. You're going to say, there's no proof he started the fight, it's not illegal to follow someone or walk beside someone, yada, yada, yada. And in a REAL courtroom, and in a real criminal case, you take the totality of the circumstances into consideration.....you don't fragment the circumstances into little individual pieces, or isolate the moment to moment circumstances, in terms of what is or is not legal.

Sometimes people get convicted for doing stupid things.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 03-10-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
In other words he doesn't have any sort of criminal record either, thanks.
No, in other words, that's not what I'm saying.

He does have a record of arrest and being charged with a criminal offense. Do you think the arrest records just magically disappear? Also, the case file for that arrest will have the details of what happened, why the charges were changed (in other words was this a negotiated deal between prosecutor and defense), etc. It may have been his first arrest, therefore, they gave him a break. But there is still a record of some behavior which was illegal, and resisting with violence is "violent" behavior.

The restraining order was a civil case, and I'm not sure whether or not the State can bring that out at the trial because it's civil rather than criminal. Maybe they can. I just don't know. I do know the State cannot bring out Zimmerman's criminal record unless the crimes meet the Williams Rule requirements or unless Zimmerman or his attorney bring up his past in terms of criminal or violent behavior.

And, well, the speeding is just speeding.

As for Martin, there is nothing, nada. No arrests, no official records of violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies