Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times

Advertisements

What will this tactic bring?

Zimmerman Stuns Court, Waives Right in Trayvon Martin Case - ABC News

George Zimmerman's attorneys stunned court observers Tuesday when they waived their client's right to a "Stand Your Ground" hearing slated for April that might have led to a dismissal of the charges in the shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin a year ago.

However, the defense lawyers didn't say whether they would waive the immunity hearing outright. They left open the possibility for that hearing to be rolled into Zimmerman's second degree murder trial. Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch captain in his Florida subdivision, shot and killed the teen, who was visiting a house in the area.

The move allows the defense more time to prepare for the trial this summer, but also raises the stakes.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

George Zimmerman's attorneys stunned court observers Tuesday when they waived their client's right to a "Stand Your Ground" hearing slated for April that might have led to a dismissal of the charges in the shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin a year ago.

However, the defense lawyers didn't say whether they would waive the immunity hearing outright. They left open the possibility for that hearing to be rolled into Zimmerman's second degree murder trial. Zimmerman, a former neighborhood watch captain in his Florida subdivision, shot and killed the teen, who was visiting a house in the area.

The move allows the defense more time to prepare for the trial this summer, but also raises the stakes.
As explained in the article they will still use the defense, just not separately from the trial. It's just strategy and will allow the defense to not pre-arm the prosecutors with statements made during the SYG trial and will also allow them to bring up SYG type arguments at the murder trial.

In short, it was a tactical move by his defense team that will make his defense a bit stronger down the road when getting an outright SYG acquittal would have been a huge longshot.

I don't really think it changes anything.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM

468 posts, read 553,536 times
Am I in the minority thinking that this whole Trayvon-Zimmerman thing was radically and pathetically exploited? Obviously for the gun control issue -which is a laugh if you look to a place like Chicago- but also to create a racist incident where there was none.

How many black teens get murdered in the same way- by their own? Not worthy of ridiculous media attention especially with the #s, but only when 1 gets shot by a cowboy nonwhite hispanic?

Anyway, guess he'll serve time. I'm still not sure what happened due to media's lies and deceptive reporting, but Zimmerman should've retreated when told.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

Excellent move by Zimmerman's defense attorney's. He's walking.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Yeah, getting an outright acquittal based on SYG would be tough given he was the aggressor/instigator. The crux of their defense will be that he was getting "pummeled" and was forced to discharge his gun to save his life... a case of self-defense rather than SYG.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post
Am I in the minority thinking that this whole Trayvon-Zimmerman thing was radically and pathetically exploited? Obviously for the gun control issue -which is a laugh if you look to a place like Chicago- but also to create a racist incident where there was none.

How many black teens get murdered in the same way- by their own? Not worthy of ridiculous media attention especially with the #s, but only when 1 gets shot by a cowboy nonwhite hispanic?

Anyway, guess he'll serve time. I'm still not sure what happened due to media's lies and deceptive reporting, but Zimmerman should've retreated when told.
I totally agree about the media. I'm not so sure he will serve time. This morning in the hearing the prosecution had to admit that their primary witness, the girl who was supposedly on the phone with Trayvon at the time, lied under oath.

Quote:
The woman, the defense lawyer said, "misrepresented" in a sworn statement that she missed Trayvon's funeral because she had been hospitalized.
"In fact, she lied," West said.
Prosecutor John Guy confirmed there will be no medical records, effectively confirming that there was no hospital trip.
George Zimmerman stand your ground hearing - OrlandoSentinel.com

And the article goes on to say that this comes on the heels of other credibility issues for this witness. The charging documents for this case relied heavily on her statements, so this is not good for the prosecution.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Self-defense is despicable.

That your daughter tortured, raped and murdered is morally superior than she shooting her would-be rapist dead.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post

Are you in a minority, probably, but it is a large minority(40%+)

i have no problem with people having their own opinion, but why is it that we can never have an honest debate about race in this nation ? Why is it that there is always the comment of " this was genned up to create a racial incident" ?

What does black on black teen crime have to do with what man perceived as a child being chased down and murdered for being a black person in a predominantly white community ?

And do you honestly think people dont care about crime in Chicago ? This sentiment has been going on for about a year now and plenty of people have pointed out marches held in Chicago, meeting with Mayor Emmanual and community leaders to find a solution to the crimes, yet people like the poster above continue to make it seem as if no one cares about Chicago. Those meeting and marches not being in the national news does not mean they arent happening.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Self-defense is despicable.

That your daughter tortured, raped and murdered is morally superior than she shooting her would-be rapist dead.
Who was committing a rape/torture against someone else's daughter in this case?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
it is possible to hire a rotten attorney. if i were zimmerman i would want everything i could going for me.
i think that contrary to the OP, it must be determined that the deceased was just "visiting houses" when the shooting occured, allegedly without any provocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies