Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,930,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
You too are incredibly troubled
Meow.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,800,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYPPKathy View Post
^^^^

Huh? You are a straight woman & you have wished more then once to be a gay man?? Ummm...why? If you already like men - why do you need to be a gay man?

Not making fun....just scratching my head about that comment.
It's not about who I would be attracted to, it's based on the simple fact that gay men are just so fabulous!

(seriously, I've always enjoyed the "culture" and social aspects of being a gay man - at least in some contexts)

Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,389,766 times
This thread is so Liberace...

Old 03-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Being truthful hurts all the time. Try being truthful to someone whose self-conscious about their appearance for example.
Of course the truth hurts, which is why only a real jerk would be commenting on somebody's appearance (to their face). If you're married or have a girlfriend, I imagine you refrain from telling her when an outfit makes her look fat? If not, I can only assume you spend many nights on the couch.

It's all about using tact, and trying to be generally respectful - at least until someone gives you a reason NOT to be respectful. Is that so difficult?

Quote:
As for your last point, it's slang. Are we going to excise all slang when we speak? Or just slang that people don't like...
Nobody is trying to "excise" anything, we are just discussing why some people find it offensive. I'm the last person to say we should be controlled, in terms of free speech; but at the same time, I'm also one of the last people you'll catch offending other people. It's an issue of maturity, and again, respect for others.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why would they feel any worse than being called "mentally challenged" or "developmentally disabled"?
Go ask them... I'm not going to pretend I know what it feels like to be them, so it would be more prudent to ask those who are affected. While you're at it, try asking a few gay people why f@g is offensive, when it only means a cigarette in British English.

P.S. "Mentally challenged" means nothing, except maybe that they have a mental illness (i.e. schizophrenia); and "developmentally disabled" refers more to developmental disorders, like autism or dyslexia. If you're going to start picking apart definitions, at least know the correct ones for each term!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You should think more before you post, too, because anyone with the mental capacity beyond a 12yo can refrain from calling intelligent people "idiots." Considering you can't even follow the basic guidelines of this forum (no personal attacks), I would question your abilities first.
He didn't call anyone an idiot, he used a hypothetical example in order to draw an analogy.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I wasn't insulting you personally, I was just saying it's not that hard to avoid offending people... if somebody really IS an idiot, by all means call them one. That isn't being offensive, that is being truthful. But using the phrase "that's so gay" isn't necessarily meaning something IS gay (unless we're talking about a Liza Minnelli performance at Pride or something), it is specifically used as an insult for people who can't come up with anything better. Why not call it what it is, i.e. "lame" or "stupid?"
Gay just means "happy" or 'merry".

Someome could say "Have a gay Christmas" or "Gay birthday" and be entirely correct.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Go ask them... I'm not going to pretend I know what it feels like to be them, so it would be more prudent to ask those who are affected. While you're at it, try asking a few gay people why f@g is offensive, when it only means a cigarette in British English.

P.S. "Mentally challenged" means nothing, except maybe that they have a mental illness (i.e. schizophrenia); and "developmentally disabled" refers more to developmental disorders, like autism or dyslexia. If you're going to start picking apart definitions, at least know the correct ones for each term!
OK - what is the current politically correct term for retarded?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Gay just means "happy".
JUST? Nope, you are incorrect... it has multiple meanings, and you already know that. I hate when you play this passive-aggressive "I don't knooooow any better" game!

Oh, lookie here - the definition of "homosexual" is actually the FIRST definition according to Random House. The definition of "joyful" doesn't even come in until #3, so you are even more wrong than I realized.

gay [gey]
adjective, gay·er, gay·est.
1. of, pertaining to, or exhibiting sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex; homosexual: a gay couple.
2. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
3. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music. Synonyms: cheerful, gleeful, happy, glad, cheery, lighthearted, joyous, joyful, jovial; sunny, lively, vivacious, sparkling; chipper, playful, jaunty, sprightly, blithe. Antonyms: serious, grave, solemn, joyless; staid, sedate; unhappy, morose, grim; sad, depressed, melancholy.
4. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments. Synonyms: colorful, brilliant, vivid, intense, lustrous; glittering, theatrical, flamboyant. Antonyms: dull, drab, somber, lackluster; conservative.
5. Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive. awkward, stupid, or bad; lame: This game is really gay.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
OK - what is the current politically correct term for retarded?
Already stated it, but you apparently missed that... the CORRECT (not just "politically" but scientifically) term is intellectually disabled.

http://www.aaidd.org/content_100.cfm
http://www.thearc.org/page.aspx?pid=2543
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies