Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okipower120190 View Post
I bet all the people who are saying " deal with it" or " grow some thick skin" and "man up" wouldn't say the same thing if who they were was used as an insult
yeah, that's right. Only gay people can be insulted.

Mature people deal with it. They don't go arounf whining about it nd try to tell people what they can say.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
This thread is gay.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
I bet all the people who are saying " deal with it" or " grow some thick skin" and "man up" wouldn't say the same thing if who they were was used as an insult

I have been insulted many times, down right disgustingly in some cases. Thing is, I don't pander on about it like a little twit who can't accept that everyone doesn't worship their opinion or position. It is called being an adult, but some idiots are too immature that they think that everyone should share their view, be interested in what they are, or give a frigging crap about their opinion. Wake up, the world doesn't care about you. You can either go off and die in a hole for the worry it causes you or you can grow up and realize that the opinion of another is only worth that which YOU place value on.

Though apparently that is too much to ask our younger generations who act like a bunch of spoiled little brats.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
We were saying "so gay" 35 years ago to note something as lame, perverse or socially unacceptable.
aaww the good old days..... when men were men and the 1% of the population who were "gay" kept their mouth shut.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This thread is gay.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Nor should you have to.

But then again, if you can hijack a word and give it an alternative meaning (or rather if you can go along with the previous hijacking) you can hardly complain if somebody else comes along and hijacks the same word again.

Teenage vocabulary (and it seems it's mostly teenagers who use the phrase "that's so gay!" is often markedly different from that of the previous generation. Learn to live with it.

I once had a student tell me: "I won't be in class this afternoon. I'm going home. I'm well ill."
Well ill? Which?
I never claimed that another generation couldn't re-apply it, but I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion that it's stupid, nor am I personally offended. That and "hijack" is way too strong of a word to express the gradual evolution of a word's definition.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:31 PM

192 posts, read 348,469 times
Quote:
My God's name is used in a derogatory way. I don't get my panties in a bunch over it. I just don't use it in that way myself. Many people have had that happen by the way. Growing up if there was a certain negative thing a person was known for and someone else did it, it was "pulling a ____" I knew a girl who would always ruin outings for people and it was pulling a lindsay. If you had a one night stand you were pulling a chelsey. Etc. Deal with it, man up, grow some thick skin...

Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM

117 posts, read 160,491 times

Senor Chang - Gay - YouTube

Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I never claimed that another generation couldn't re-apply it, but I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion that it's stupid, nor am I personally offended. That and "hijack" is way too strong of a word to express the gradual evolution of a word's definition.
'Gradual evolution of a word's definition'?

Please explain how the word gay 'gradually evolved' from meaning 'happy, carefree' to 'homosexual'?

Did it pass through other meanings on the way?

I do remember (many years ago) my neighbour telling me: "I'm Gay" and me saying (in a somewhat puzzled tone) : "I know you're, Gay. I've known you for years" and she then saying, "No, what I mean is that I'm gay Gay" and then - when she explained what she was on about - both laughing about it.

If you - or anybody else - wish to allocate a new meaning to any word, then go ahead and do so. But if you do that, don't complain if somebody else comes along and allocates yet another meaning to the word.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
"Silence is consent." I love it. So effing true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies